• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    At what point will you consider yourself prepared and all you have left is to rotate and training?

A years worth of food?
    10,000 rounds?
    200 assorted guns?
    BOV, BOL's and Crew all setup tight?
    Complete crew of skilled and trained individuals or families who can in a heartbeat go from normal citizens to rock and rolling objects of devastation?
    Living off grid completely self sufficient not relying on anything to survive, pay your taxes and stay sharp?

Just a curiosity of mine..

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Depends prepared for what?
    I dont think I will be ever fully prepared for anything that may come.Nobody will be.
    Even the US govt. is not ready to handle all the types of possible SHTF.
    You have a zillion of possible SHTF scenarios, you cant be ready for all of them.

For WW3/end of the world a year worth of food and 10 000 rounds of ammo will probably not be enough.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    My personal opinion, but I don't think the average shooter (in an urban/suburban setting) will expend a 30rd magazine before they bleed out.

Food is a variable, but I would imagine looters start hitting personal residences within a week.

Even with an armory and food preps rivaling a small grocery store, how will you protect it?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My personal opinion, but I don't think the average shooter (in an urban/suburban setting) will expend a 30rd magazine before they bleed out.

Food is a variable, but I would imagine looters start hitting personal residences within a week.

Even with an armory and food preps rivaling a small grocery store, how will you protect it?

I agree.
    Lots of people think that they will fire thousands of rounds without getting shot and fight like a one man army. :rolleyes:
    If you are alone you dont need hundreds of rounds, you are not going to fight thousands of people all by yourself.
    And that is, of course, if you ever have to fire a single round.
    In most of the SHTF scenarios you wont even have to fire a single shot.

What if the city is without electricity for one week, or a month?
    What if you are stuck at one for two weeks because of the snow?

Not all the SHTF scenarios are end of the world gun battles.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm mostly there.

I have enough food, fuel, and other consumables stored and on regular rotation so that if anything happens we have a couple of years of relatively normal living or much longer of emergency living. It's split up and stored so single point failure won't wipe everything out (learned that lesson last time.

We have mad skillz. We take care of ourself and stay in shape. We have contingency plans for the likely events.

As far as non perishables like ammo, I have enough that I could stop buying any right now and still be able to shoot some for the rest of my life. I'm still in the "buy more" stage since I'm young enough, but in another 10 years or so I'll stop adding to the stash and maintain replacement rate for a while then slowly stop buying so that I can save money and shoot down my stock.

So we add here and there as we find the occasional hole, but we're as prepared as is reasonable. Someone can (and often will) dream up some contingency for which we are not prepared, but I call that life and sometimes it just sucks and then you die.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Prepping is a journey, not a destination.

Once I have my family out of the city and on a couple acres I'll feel better, but not 100%. Once we have a years worth of food for everyone and guests, I'll feel better, but not 100%. Once I have everyone who'd come over trained on firearms & marksmenship I'll feel better, but not 100%. Once I have a couple years of successful gardening and canning under my belt I'll feel better, but not 100%. Once I get enough precious metals to cover a years worth of expenses... Once I get the orchard thriving.... Once I get some chickens & rabbits.... Once I get A LOT of training for myself and those who will be around me....

Generally speaking I don't think I'll ever feel fully prepared, but I'll feel a lot better about my world and my life after certain steps.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Great replies, thanks all. I feel the same way, I will never be fully prepared but I will prep the best I can. Information is key, training and working towards obtainable goals one step at a time is the best I can do myself.

I thank you for sharing the information that has allowed me to be prepared the best I can be to allow me to take responsibility for those who rely on me for their survival.

TacticalM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    I think one of the best ways to prep is to know your neighbors. Ours know us and I don't think we are a soft target in any of their eyes. Kind of like our country, perceived power is much more useful than actual capability. I don't agree with bragging about your capability or displays of power.

chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Prepping is a journey, not a destination.

Once I have my family out of the city and on a couple acres I'll feel better, but not 100%. Once we have a years worth of food for everyone and guests, I'll feel better, but not 100%. Once I have everyone who'd come over trained on firearms & marksmenship I'll feel better, but not 100%. Once I have a couple years of successful gardening and canning under my belt I'll feel better, but not 100%. Once I get enough precious metals to cover a years worth of expenses... Once I get the orchard thriving.... Once I get some chickens & rabbits.... Once I get A LOT of training for myself and those who will be around me....

Generally speaking I don't think I'll ever feel fully prepared, but I'll feel a lot better about my world and my life after certain steps.

+1. It doesn't matter how many rounds you have, how much food/water you've stored, how protected your BOL (or BIL) is. Although those are important, I don't think you can put a hard number for each of your preps since it'll differ from person to person. What's more important is having the right mindset, a mindset that you'll survive and make the best of the situation whatever it is. Training and having the skills to survive a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI will serve you and your family far more than only preps. Keep training and practicing those skills to make sure that you can use them in any situation. Make sure you have everything covered, not just guns and ammo; medicine, glasses/contacts, a way to communicate, toilet paper, etc are just as if not more important that weaponary. Be prepared and stay safe INGO!

Top Bottom