• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • itsgreg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hudson
    for self defense I like the taurus judge. That being said everyone knows the sound of a good pump action, and they may start running before they even see ya.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    for self defense I like the taurus judge. That being said everyone knows the sound of a good pump action, and they may start running before they even see ya.

the judge is not a good choice for SD/HD...the ballistics are pretty awful from what I've read.

and i wouldn't bet my life on a perp being scared of a noise. :twocents:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Shotguns are the best for chasing off tresspassers, but not as convenient as a pistol for keeping by your night stand. Also, shotguns are too large for clearing rooms, unless sawed off. Pistol is superior IMO for several reasons. You also don't have to have a LTCH to own a pistol, and even sport it to the range, so it is just as easy to own.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I can have a handgun stashed in every room of the house, plus carry one on my hip. It's a lot harder to do that with a shotgun.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    As with any weapon, it is only as useful as you are competent with it. The pump shotgun is simple, reliable, and effective if you do your part.

What is your part?

Practice with it. And I do mean practice with it using your preferred defensive ammo load. Make sure that you will not forget to take off the safety under stress or short stroke it when chambering the next round. Do not use anything smaller than #4B and you will be fine.

The best part about the shotgun is that a single shot of 2 3/4" 00B delivers 9 .36 caliber projectiles to a less than 3" space at most HD ranges. No other platform matches that ability. If your gun accepts 3" shells, use them. The only thing better 9 pellets is 12.

Be familiar and competent. Do you part regardless of what you choose.

Some people prefer handguns or carbine rifles and that is just fine as long as you are capable of using them.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Pistol is superior IMO for several reasons.

Other than the reasons you stated, what are the advantages of the pistol?
    Convenient to put on the night stand? On the nightstand is one of the few places you can't put a shotgun inside your own home.

Put a Knoxx stock on an 18" shotgun and it is fine for room clearing.

Pistol ballistics suck. Period. No matter what. Inside my home, a long gun is my first choice. I admit to having a handgun as well as the shotgun available but the shotty is the first choice.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    3 out of the 4 shotguns I own have pistol grip stock on them

34deaf84.jpg

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    My whole idea on it and what I ended reading from Massad Ayoob is the 'shotgun is heavy artillery,' perfect for posting up with in your bedroom/saferoom behind cover, and the pistol is better for maneuvering and to manipulate doors, light switches, phone, etc, as well as being more difficult to disarm. (to paraphrase quickly and terribly lol)

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I can have a handgun stashed in every room of the house, plus carry one on my hip. It's a lot harder to do that with a shotgun.

Not really...unless you just have a TINY house. Can pick up used pump-action 12 gauges for under $200 all day at the local gun shop, and lean one behind every couch or cabinet in the house.

As for on your hip, yeah, you've got my there....I could do it, but it'd be absurd.

Top Bottom