What's your opinion. Are we in danger or not.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stesco

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Greensburg
    I figure that one day scientists will say that taking a **** causes cancer. If I listen to all of these guys, what I do will be so boring I might as well wish I was dead.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    I just randomly eat handfuls of Iodized salt... I will be fine...

besides I still stand there with my nose to the microwave and watch my food cook. Didnt they say that would give me cancer in the 80's

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    What the Fukushima?!

I am simply not going to worry about it. Probably will have increased incidence of some cancers, but what the heck. Got to die sometime.
    What, you want to live until you're back to being toothless, helpless and crapping in a diaper?!
    Not me.
    Bring on the radiation.

The goofball who wrote the article stated at the end that a one way trip to Mars looked pretty good.
    The cosmic radiation would likely kill anyone trying to make it past the earth-moon system. Our magnitosphere protects us from that radiation. As it stands, we have no viable shielding to get us to Mars.
    Anyway ... off topic.

I'm more worried about being bit by a Barracuda than suffering from Fukushima fall out (and I don't swim in the ocean).
    Which reminds me of a song:

[video=youtube;s4nWy8pmIM4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nWy8pmIM4[/video]

JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I figure you are exposed to more radiation from the sun than you are from Fukushima. The radiation particles are extremely small and the energy is shortwave high energy. I think that you would need to be exposed to a lot of particles to make it remotely dangerous.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Okay, as the resident Nuclear Reactor Operator here...
    NRC: Glossary -- ALARA
    [h=1]ALARA[/h] As defined in Title 10, Section 20.1003, of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR 20.1003), ALARA is an acronym for "as low as (is) reasonably achievable," which means making every reasonable effort to maintain exposures to ionizing radiation as far below the dose limits as practical, consistent with the purpose for which the licensed activity is undertaken, taking into account the state of technology, the economics of improvements in relation to state of technology, the economics of improvements in relation to benefits to the public health and safety, and other societal and socioeconomic considerations, and in relation to utilization of nuclear energy and licensed materials in the public interest. For additional detail, see Dose Limits for Radiation Workers and Dose Limits for Radiation Workers.

This translates to: Any exposure to radiation, however small, can potentially increase the possibility of cancer or other mutations to those exposed.

Which means...If I fired a rifle from a tree stand in the middle of a 1000 acre forest, everywhere within the vicinity of the maximum potential range would have to be roped off. Any people who enter the area would need to go through about 2 years of schooling before they would be allowed to enter. They would have to wear an EOD suit of some sort, and would have to minimize the amount of time they spent within range of my tree stand.

However, no precautions whatsoever would need to be taken for that UAV launching hellfire missiles into random crowds outside the cordoned off area. Same goes for those traveling on airlines, especially pilots.

There was a story I saw yesterday about a San Fransisco beach having 1400% higher than normal radiation. Sounds like a big number right? They said the level was at 500 micro-rem/hr. Translation 1400% = 14 times larger than normal. Which means normal background radiation for this beach is 35.7 micro-rem per hour. Even basic rudimentary precautions don't have to be taken by our nanny-state until levels reach 1 milli-rem per hour.

1 milli = 1000 micro

Thus, the level of exposure at this beach at the highest point they found was 0.5 milli-rem/hr. Doesn't sound as impressive or dangerous, does it?

They even suspected the rise was due to Fukushima, so they started analyzing for Radium, Cesium, Iodine, etc. They were specifically looking for the decay chain of nuclear fission. These are very specific isotopes.

What they found was naturally decaying elements. A bit of them had risen to the ground surface and were decaying away. This isn't rare. In fact, it happens ALL the time. There is even a spot out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean that the Navy avoids when possible, because the natural background radiation is so high there.

The problem with articles like this, is that they are written by people completely ignorant of not just radiation, but of science itself. They do not understand basic principles, let alone the more squishy details. This is like a hair stylist trying to explain Day 1 of a Stephen Hawking classroom lecture. No offense to the hair stylist, they just don't have the background. Another example is a politician lecturing us about meteorology and calling themselves a climate scientist. It can be made to sound scary, and in the wilder scenarios it can be. But when you are completely ignorant of the basic tenets of a field, you should sit down, shut up and learn something before even contemplating speaking alone in a dark closet to the funny voices in your head, let alone publicly.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    What is the yield of this steam leak compared to the hundreds of nukes that were detonated in the atmosphere in the fifties and sixties? Anybody.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Thank you for a little reality check, TaunTaun.

As a guy that flies a business jet at 45,000 feet on a regular basis (where cosmic radiation is 35-70% greater than 35,000ft)...I ain't too skeered of radiation. Respect it yes, fear it no.

radiation.png

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Excellent chart. Only problem I have is the use of Sv instead of Rem. Seems oddball to me, but I was a Navy nuke and not European Union...

Top Bottom