• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I've been squirrel hunting twice in my lifetime. I didn't see a thing either time. Should I use a 12ga with 7.5, a .410 with 8, or my .22LR Marlin 60 (iron sights)? The closest house is just over a quarter mile outside heavy woods. I'm slightly worried about the .22 continuing on if I miss one in the trees, and I don't want to be in the papers if something horrible happens. Suggestions?

either the 410 or 12ga will be fine. if your worried about using the 22lr simply dont use it.
    if you use the 410 with 8 shot keep your shots close or go to a heavier load..same with the 12ga and 7.5 shot..youll get a bit more range with the 12ga but I dont like using light game loads for tree rats as were I hunt I need the range{tall tree..both hardwoods and pine} but cant use a rifle so I use a full choke with high brass 6 shot so that I can knock em out of the tallest of trees.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    All good advice. For a shotgun I've always went with 6 shot for squirrel, save the 7.5 or 8 for rabbit and birds. The last several years I've hunted with a 60 year old Winchester model 74 .22lr given to me by my father.

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    Only thing I use for squirrels is my old single shot 22/410 over/under that was given to me by a family friend when I was 12...best damn squirrel gun there is.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Scope & Choke Update

It's a Timber King Scope, so I pretty well think that is part of the problem. Also, the base screws seem tight and the scope seems solid. CCI mini mags, so ammo is probably not the problem. I am not the best shot off hand, but leaning against a tree, the third shot out of the barrel was 3 inches low @50 yards, but had been sighted prone from a sight vise. I was concerned about the Improved cylinder choke, but w.6's, a few fairly clean looks and a 12ga, I think i will try it. If not, I will find a mod choke tube for a winchester 1200. Anyone got one.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    It's a Timber King Scope, so I pretty well think that is part of the problem. Also, the base screws seem tight and the scope seems solid. CCI mini mags, so ammo is probably not the problem. I am not the best shot off hand, but leaning against a tree, the third shot out of the barrel was 3 inches low @50 yards, but had been sighted prone from a sight vise. I was concerned about the Improved cylinder choke, but w.6's, a few fairly clean looks and a 12ga, I think i will try it. If not, I will find a mod choke tube for a winchester 1200. Anyone got one.

mossberg accu chokes{mossberg 500 and the like} will work in the Winchester 1200..make sure its not the accu MAG chokes as they will not work.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've been squirrel hunting twice in my lifetime. I didn't see a thing either time. Should I use a 12ga with 7.5, a .410 with 8, or my .22LR Marlin 60 (iron sights)? The closest house is just over a quarter mile outside heavy woods. I'm slightly worried about the .22 continuing on if I miss one in the trees, and I don't want to be in the papers if something horrible happens. Suggestions?

Guns don't make you see them regardless of what kind you carry.

You should be taking your field guide and learning to ID white oak, pig nut hickory, red oak, paw paw, persimon, walnut.

When you start seeing squirrels then take your shotgun with you next time.

When you start killing your limit every time out, start taking the rifle.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Guns don't make you see them regardless of what kind you carry.

You should be taking your field guide and learning to ID white oak, pig nut hickory, red oak, paw paw, persimon, walnut.

When you start seeing squirrels then take your shotgun with you next time.

When you start killing your limit every time out, start taking the rifle.
    Thanks. I can identify oak and walnut, but not the others. I never really thought about the shotgun vs. rifle until recently :n00b:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN

handgun_squirrels.jpg

cookedtreerat.jpg

happy? lol

skier11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Bainbridge
    I always use my Winchester 20 ga. pump with full choke to reach out and touch with #6. My second gun as a kid. My dad bought it for me after several outings with my first gun...a winchester 410...NOT a good squirrel gun for a kid. I would shoot four or five times before my brother would get sick of me missing and shoot it. The 20 ga. fixed the prob.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Buy another scope [higher quality] and loctite your base screws, and your ring screws for starters.

That is good advice for a scope.

I use a 10/22 with a 4X Nikon scope.

If hunting with a shotgun, I use a 12 gauge with #4's. To be honest, I use #4's for squirrel, rabbits, turkey... #4's are about perfect for a lot of stuff and if you just stock up them, you are ready for just about anything but deer or ducks.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    12 ga, usually a Remington 1100, with #4 shot. I usually see mostly fox squirrels, and this will bring the down from the top of the trees with no problem. Sometimes I take a Marlin 60 for a change.

Dave

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    Now that the leaves are falling I have gone to the adult air rifle,.177 caliber chest or head shots up to 50 yards,and it doesn't mess up your squirrel. I also like this because the friends of the one you just shot look surprised that there buddy fell out of a tree.

Top Bottom