• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Need some help here. Went Hunting today, and could not hit crap. Seems like every time I sight the scope on my .22, its off the next time I break it out. Was going to use the Shotgun, but was unsure If an Improved Cylinder with #6 would be effective enough. What do you all use. I was just wondering , cause I was in an area today that was raining hickory nut shells, and saw several, and I didn't get one.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Ideal for leafy tree and early season- 28 gauge with 6's, also my favorite rigfor canoe shooting along the shores of Lake Monroe.

Idelal for spot and stalk, my Ruger, 17 HMR, 6X Leupold. Shooting stix optional but appreciated.

... and belive it or not, I seem to be doing better with one of my boys along. When we see one, we take turns, one stops, one keeps walking, and they come out and scold more. My 5 years old believes that hot chocolate brings him luck. Based on recent trips with him, I cannot refute this.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    Been using my old beat up Mossberg 20 ga. modified fixed choke, with wal mart winchester 7 1/2 and been layin em out! Had to step on a few heads but most are a gonner when they hit the ground!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Right now, my squirrel set up is my Savage MKII, unless I can find someone to trade me a hunting handgun for it :)

My boy's favorite is his Mossberg 500 Super Bantam Youth 20 guage, modified choke & # 7 1/2s. Later in the season I may, or may not, try to talk him into using one of his .22s. It will depend on whether he's having to pass on many shots over 35 yards or so.

My wife has become fond of her single shot Sears Model 1 vs her Rossi 20 guage. She is holding me to a promise to buy her another .17 HMR, though.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    870 12g shooting #6

I don't think the people of Martinsville would appreciate me raining down .22's from MMSF.

My son uses his single shot 20g with #6

One thing that really helped him was adding one of those slip-on fiber optic sights.

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    i have a.22/410 over under best squirrel set up ever open sights and i kill more with the .22 than the .410 (although my wife tries to lay claim that it is her gun):noway:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    THis time of year 20 with full choke shooting 5 shot. Later in the season when the leaves are down and you catch a lot of them running on the ground, I may go 7 1/2.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    early season:12ga with a full choke shooting #6 heavy game loads. late season I still use the shotgun for most places but will break out the 22mag or 17hmr when I can.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    870 12g shooting #6

I don't think the people of Martinsville would appreciate me raining down .22's from MMSF.

My son uses his single shot 20g with #6

One thing that really helped him was adding one of those slip-on fiber optic sights.

MMSF, Yellowood, and canoes on Monroe. That's where we hunt too! Wish I lived there.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My favorite squirrel killer is a 22Short bolt action, tube fed, with a nice big scope.

My ultimate kill any squirrel you can see set up is a 17HMR Marlin bolt action.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Blued wood Ruger 77/22 with redfield 4x12 that pa's down to 50 yds, all the time, I just don't like squirell meat that much but I enjoy hunting, so one or 2 shots for the morning is fine with me.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Need some help here. Went Hunting today, and could not hit crap. Seems like every time I sight the scope on my .22, its off the next time I break it out. Was going to use the Shotgun, but was unsure If an Improved Cylinder with #6 would be effective enough. What do you all use. I was just wondering , cause I was in an area today that was raining hickory nut shells, and saw several, and I didn't get one.

Sorry, we got off track there. Your shotgun set-up will kill squirrel, grouse, ducks and a whole bunch of other animals to 35 yards (don't shoot ducks with lead, you'll get yelled at). No problem.

The true test of the hunting weapon is the first shot out of a cold (fouled) barrel. If you can pull the gun out of the truck and hit the bottom end of an aluminum can with the first shot at the distance you hunt, then that gun is good to go. If you can't, it isn't.

If you shoot at the range and fire 3 rounds standing, what group does it shoot? If you can shoot tight groups with the first 3 at the range, but not the woods, then the difference is you. If you're on a bench at the range, and off-hand in the woods, then replicate the range. I shoot like crap off-hand, shooting stix travel with me for the 22 lever, 17 Rifle, or the single six.

If it's the trigger,fix it or change it. (Rifle Basix are nice for my Rugers and Savages) If it's the scope, trade up or run open sights. If it is ammo flyers, buy a box of match ammo that your gun shoots well.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I've been squirrel hunting twice in my lifetime. I didn't see a thing either time. Should I use a 12ga with 7.5, a .410 with 8, or my .22LR Marlin 60 (iron sights)? The closest house is just over a quarter mile outside heavy woods. I'm slightly worried about the .22 continuing on if I miss one in the trees, and I don't want to be in the papers if something horrible happens. Suggestions?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Remington 710 .270 Winchester with a 4x12x40 illuminated reticle (sp?) off-brand scope.

I like plinking squirrel from 200 yards.

-J-

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    .17 MachII with a Sweet 17 ballistic compensated scope. It is an incredible weapon and the last two seasons have resulted in more than 60 squirrels that chose to move to my fridge...all with single head shots.

This is not a "shoot them on the move" weapon, but it is insanely accurate for head shots out to about 150 yards (if you could even see them that far), though my longest attempt the past two years was just over 80-yards to the tree.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Right now a Romanian training rifle, extensively modified for reduced lock time, d&t for 'scope, floated barrel, capable of dime accuracy at 50 yards with bulk ammo.

I'll probably be looking at 10/22 heavy barreled rifles however... we'll see what I come up with.

Josh <><

Top Bottom