• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I was merely joking when i originally asked if anyone else flinched. It was meant to be taken as a joke but i can see that it has gone well passed that so i should clarify...i did not dodge, dip, duck, dive, or dodge out of the way of a picture on the internets. I will admit that i did tense up, but only because i did not expect the picture, just like people "jump" when something startles them in a movie or TV show.

Yep. Serious.

Show me where Cooper's Holy Grail of 4 rules are codified into law.

Also - as I'm sure you know - if you manage to break one of the rules, obeying the other three will keep you (and others) safe.

It's a freaking picture, people. On the Internet.

Those of you flinching or ducking due to a picture you're viewing online - need help. Or else you'd better also do the same thing with every single TV show and/or movie involving firearms that you watch from now until eternity.

It's a PICTURE. On the INTERNET.

Also - if Cooper's Rules are meant for everyone all the time - under zero circumstances should they ever be broken - then there's a whole heck of a lot of LE and Mil training that just went right out the window.

I sand by it. Cooper's 4 Rules are extremely good guidelines. They ARE NOT THE BE ALL, DO ALL, END ALL of firearms safety.

Sheesh people.

-J-

And no, for the record, it ain't my gun or my Armslist add. I've never owned one of those nor do I plan to. I also don't know the owner/poster of said add (at least I don't think I do)

I agree with your general idea, except for this ^^^ I believe the 4 Rules are "the be all, do all, end all" of firearms SAFETY, but maybe not firearms OPERATION...obviously there are times where Cooper's 4 Rules can be broken without resulting in injury/death, but I choose to follow them regardless

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    Frankly I am more leery of a kid with a laser tham I am of the average dude with a gun in a store. The gun may be loaded. The laser is definitely loaded.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    An internet friend of mine posted a video of himself playing with a laser pointer with his cat, and the red dot was dancing all over the cat's face.

Last edited:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    when I scrolled down to the 3rd pic my eyes went wide and I said eeek.
    if I were taking down-barrel pics like that for an ad,
    regardless of pointing the gun at myself
    (which I wouldn't do anyway),
    the gun would be unloaded.

kehrhit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I was merely joking when i originally asked if anyone else flinched.......i did not dodge, dip, duck, dive, or dodge out of the way of a picture on the internets. I will admit that i did tense up, but only because i did not expect the picture, just like people "jump" when something startles them in a movie or TV show.

Exactly. I didn't go running for cover ... but it did 'startle' me as it was completly unexpected.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I agree with your general idea, except for this ^^^ I believe the 4 Rules are "the be all, do all, end all" of firearms SAFETY, but maybe not firearms OPERATION...obviously there are times where Cooper's 4 Rules can be broken without resulting in injury/death, but I choose to follow them regardless

I have ~20 guns in violation of Rule 2. They are all in my gun safe in the basement and the muzzle points up to the basement ceiling and ground level floor. At times, I'm sure, the muzzle is pointed at people who are on the ground floor.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I have ~20 guns in violation of Rule 2. They are all in my gun safe in the basement and the muzzle points up to the basement ceiling and ground level floor. At times, I'm sure, the muzzle is pointed at people who are on the ground floor.

You have enough ammunition for 20 guns to be loaded?! Now you're just bragging :):

I understand that it is impossible to always apply all 4 rules to every situation, 100% of the time...since you mentioned it, my nightstand gun sweeps me every time i make a pass mowing the side yard...but no one can argue that they don't increase safety while handling a firearm.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    whenyouseeit_zps10b8b738.jpg

Is this the picture that is the focus of this thread? The listing has been taken down so I didn't see it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was merely joking when i originally asked if anyone else flinched. It was meant to be taken as a joke but i can see that it has gone well passed that so i should clarify...i did not dodge, dip, duck, dive, or dodge out of the way of a picture on the internets. I will admit that i did tense up, but only because i did not expect the picture, just like people "jump" when something startles them in a movie or TV show.

Pretty sure you will have to break two of the rules to do significant damage. They are good rules because the contain redundancies(error proofing) if you follow all four, you will never have a problem.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    You have enough ammunition for 20 guns to be loaded?! Now you're just bragging :):

I understand that it is impossible to always apply all 4 rules to every situation, 100% of the time...since you mentioned it, my nightstand gun sweeps me every time i make a pass mowing the side yard...but no one can argue that they don't increase safety while handling a firearm.

Yup another good example! Rules are good but common sense is better.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Is this the picture that is the focus of this thread? The listing has been taken down so I didn't see it.

Yes...but without the text added, i believe that was an INGOers doing

Pretty sure you will have to break two of the rules to do significant damage. They are good rules because the contain redundancies(error proofing) if you follow all four, you will never have a problem.

Agreed

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I saw a close-up picture of a roaring tiger once in a PBS special. It scared me so much I didn't feed our kitty for three days.

kehrhit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Indianapolis

Sorry if this has been beaten to death elsewhere in the forum already, but I don't see how this violates Rule #2. Are the guns truly 'covering' people if they are in a locked in a (presumably metal) safe and not being handled? A gun doesn't just 'go off' just sitting there, someone has to pull the trigger.

safetyrules

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    *sigh*

The avatar mentioned above, as the guy explained, was taken with a camera mounted on a tripod. No one was holding the camera.

This picture - no big deal.

Prove to me that there's a round under the firing pin. Prove to me the hammer's back. Prove to me that the picture taker was directly opposite the camera.

Good grief, people.

And I thought *I* was wound tight.

-J-

:bs:

Looks to me like a camera phone picture. I don't know anyone who mounts a phone to a tripod. Look at the position of the LEFT hand, indicating the right hand was manipulating the camera. If it's on a tripod, why is it such a downward angle? Why is he holding it with such an awkward grip?

OK, maybe his head wasn't directly in line, but are you trying to claim the firearm was pointed in a safe direction?

I'm ASSUMING all chambers are loaded since I clearly see three JHP rounds. I doubt the hammer is cocked (why would it be?).

Sure, this isn't the worst thing possible, but it is definitely poor gun handling and don't don't want to go to the range with this fellow.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Sorry if this has been beaten to death elsewhere in the forum already, but I don't see how this violates Rule #2. Are the guns truly 'covering' people if they are in a locked in a (presumably metal) safe and not being handled? A gun doesn't just 'go off' just sitting there, someone has to pull the trigger.

It doesn't violate the rule. It's simply a strawman argument used by those that think the rules should be "flexible" and it's OK to break them because "I know what I'm doing". These are the same people that when presented with a sand barrel, they stick their own head straight in.

Now me, I hate the statement, "all guns are always loaded." It defies all logic just like, "give 110%".

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Yep. Serious.

Show me where Cooper's Holy Grail of 4 rules are codified into law.

Also - as I'm sure you know - if you manage to break one of the rules, obeying the other three will keep you (and others) safe.

It's a freaking picture, people. On the Internet.

Those of you flinching or ducking due to a picture you're viewing online - need help. Or else you'd better also do the same thing with every single TV show and/or movie involving firearms that you watch from now until eternity.

It's a PICTURE. On the INTERNET.

Also - if Cooper's Rules are meant for everyone all the time - under zero circumstances should they ever be broken - then there's a whole heck of a lot of LE and Mil training that just went right out the window.

I sand by it. Cooper's 4 Rules are extremely good guidelines. They ARE NOT THE BE ALL, DO ALL, END ALL of firearms safety.

Sheesh people.

-J-

And no, for the record, it ain't my gun or my Armslist add. I've never owned one of those nor do I plan to. I also don't know the owner/poster of said add (at least I don't think I do)

From Wikipedia
    A guideline is a statement by which to determine a course of action. A guideline aims to streamline particular processes according to a set routine or sound practice.
    Rule and ruling usually refers to standards for activities.

Rules are rules not guidelines period! Rules are set in place to create standards. Guidelines determine a course of action. Guidelines follow a rule and are not the same thing.

Rule = Never let the muzzle cover anything your not willing to destroy.
    Guideline = J point the muzzle at the ground or in a safe direction away from anything your not willing to destroy like a camera.

I agree that the picture is just a picture on the internet and we do not know a lot of the variables that has been discussed like was the guy actually holding the camera or was there a bullet directly in line with the barrel.

There is a lot I don't know about the post on Armslist but you have proven by your repeated post that you consider them to be "Guidelines" Rules tell you what not to do and Guidelines tell you what you should do. They do go together but are not the same thing.

I hope your brother sells the gun on Armslist :lmfao:

Top Bottom