• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That certainly looks like the proper shape for a Beechnut. I thought they were slightly fuzzy, but that might be before they fall. The dark freckles could have been were the fuzz stuck out when they grew. I often try to find the tree that they fell from to help identify. A Beech should have smooth gray bark with an oval shaped leaf. I would open the nut up. It should be two sort of triangle shaped nuts if Beech. While you are studying diet of Squirrel you are also doing so for deer. They share many of the same foods, with deer having more variety. I have a Hickory in the back yard and Black Walnut in the front and a healthy squirrel population. If I was not in a subdivision, I would be doing much better in my hunting. :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    why not cut it out of the husk and photograph the actual "shell"? That might be more helpful.

-J-

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    May be a Pignut Hickory?

What is their size compared to a shagbark hickory nut?

I tried one of the smaller ones, and they were so bitter my mouth was completly numb.

The shagbark ones are great. We have been putting them on our salads.

Better than a pecan to me.

kec2306

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Franklin
    Shagbarks on salad now thats an Idea I think this one though is an early dropped Beechnut ?? keep us posted if you find out for sure !!

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am not for sure, but I think it will likely be a felony charge if the Obama people catch you carrying more that three in your lunch box; they will not have an idea of what it is either, why you want one or why you would eat one.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Even cut in half, I'm gonna have to stay with my original assessment of gorilla ball.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    pignut,

that isn't a beechnut. if its smaller than a regular shagbark hickory nut and the outside hull turns black with time, i'd say they look like pignuts( smooth bark variety of hickory) and they are damned bitter. taste one. :popcorn:I can't understand how the chipmunks around here stand them. pignuts do make good reactive targets for .17 mach 2 practice. beech nuts look like tiny chestnuts. and the deer and the squirrels luv 'em.

and just for reference, if you can identify gorilla balls you are too familiar with the gorilla.:D

hotbarrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    this is a smooth bark hikory i live in vt and the woods behind my house are loaded with them and the tree they come from rarely gets bigger than 10" around

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Almost looks like a "heartnut" to me Josh.
    There is a Heartnut festival in Johnson county in sept.

I have been told half of the heartnut is poisonous and only the squirels know which one to eat.

Top Bottom