What's new in quality in-ear electronic hearing protection?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have tried several in-ear brands, electronic and custom molded. I have a weird left ear canal and all of them are either so hard to put in(the custom molded ones) or just don't fit tight enough to be of any great benefit for me. After trying the latest, greatest I ended up staying with on-ear models.

I did buy a jar of the "foamies". They actually work really well and reduce the sound as much or more than anything else. They do reduce being able to hear conversations though so they may not be the best if you were taking class. I think they would be fine for competition though.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Anyone have any experience with these?
    Looks like a more expensive, sig version of these which have gotten mixed/negative reviews.

No personal experience.

I just got my wife and I some Axil gs extreme on a black friday special for $100 per set. My first in ear type protection. I was tired of over ear muffs messing with my cheek weld. Also wanted something I could use while hunting that wouldn't block ambient sound. I was disappointed the first time I used them, but kept trying the different tips they came with and finally found the ones that work for me. Now I am quite pleased with them so far.

I tried the lower end Axils with a wire connecting the sides. Maybe I got a bad set, maybe not. They had way too much background hiss for my liking. Went to the Otto's and gave the Axil to a friend that wanted to try electronic plugs.
    More than one reviewer posted similar unfavorable reviews & then said they were offered $$ by the company to remove their negative reviews.

I did notice an annoying back ground static type noise with my Axil's if I turn the sound enhancement volume way up, but found that I certainly don't need them turned up that high. Even with them turned down as low as they will go, I still hear better than I can without them.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I have tried several in-ear brands, electronic and custom molded. I have a weird left ear canal and all of them are either so hard to put in(the custom molded ones) or just don't fit tight enough to be of any great benefit for me. After trying the latest, greatest I ended up staying with on-ear models.

I did buy a jar of the "foamies". They actually work really well and reduce the sound as much or more than anything else. They do reduce being able to hear conversations though so they may not be the best if you were taking class. I think they would be fine for competition though.
    I have the same issue with the ear buds I have tried making me hesitant to spend the $$ to try one of these. My best fitting ear buds are an old pair of wired Bose, but still the right will not stay in place while running.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My audiologist told me to use in the ear plugs, and hearing muffs to protect the hearing I do have left which isn't much.

I usually just turn off my hearing aid and put muffs on.

Might go by an audiologists office or call one, and see what they recommend. Trust me you do not want to lose your hearing.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Not that changing batteries would be a huge deal but simply putting the ear pieces away in a recharging storage case would be even easier, like the Otto's. As long as it works as advertised. The fact that it shows the level of charge for each earpiece is pretty slick too. No guessing at battery life.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    The Otto's do indeed work as advertised.
    They are intriguing & have definite pluses. $360-ish (assuming 10% sale still on) is probably a case of 5K primers now a days, but that's a hell of a lot more appealing than those $2K ESP's.

Found a review on the Etymotic's but then realized they used the "air activated" hearing aide batteries that start discharging once the package is opened and will discharge even if removed. So for weekly range trips that means replacing batteries each & every trip. Deal breaker for me, on principle and convenience. Here's link if anyone interested;

But, the article does give another thumbs up to using the Westone foam ear piece, as you previously mentioned.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Before Christmas I was looking at them but couldn't find um in stock anywhere. All for the better though cause all that searching led to some so-so reviews and then some reviewers stating that the company (Ax, not Sig) was offering to pay them off to take down their neg reviews.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    They have a 29dB rating that's about as high as you can get for that type of hearing protection. Foam plugs if properly used have 33dB.

If im shooting by myself I use foam plugs and muffs. For a combined total of 60dB reduction which my audiologist suggested I use years ago so I won't lose all my hearing.

Top Bottom