• ...and so much more!
  • Blue River Guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Hey folks,

This is a real life situation that ultimatly led me to become a person that believed in CCW.

Driving home one night late after a meeting a church, roughly 10 miles from home a car pulled out of a parking lot and preceded to get right up on my tail to the point I could not even see the headlights in my review mirror. I slowed to let them pass and they would not, sped up and they kept right with me.

What would you have done? After a few posts I will let you know what I did!!!!!

God Bless,
    pw

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    Hey folks,

This is a real life situation that ultimatly led me to become a person that believed in CCW.

Driving home one night late after a meeting a church, roughly 10 miles from home a car pulled out of a parking lot and preceded to get right up on my tail to the point I could not even see the headlights in my review mirror. I slowed to let them pass and they would not, sped up and they kept right with me.

What would you have done? After a few posts I will let you know what I did!!!!!

God Bless,
    pw

Man, that's a good question. My first thought was I'd pull over & either let them pass me or figure out what they wanted. Thinking more about it though, I'd have probably just kept going. If however this continued for awhile, I imagine I would pull over at some point....

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'd try to get to a safe place or an area where there would be other traffic.

Of course, the car gun would be ready as well.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Man, that's a good question. My first thought was I'd pull over & either let them pass me or figure out what they wanted. Thinking more about it though, I'd have probably just kept going. If however this continued for awhile, I imagine I would pull over at some point....

I would probably pull over somewhere. That would either force them to pass or make it obvious that they were trying to start something. If the former, then they're gone. The latter, I can exit the situation before it escalates and be on the phone with 911. Under no circumstance would I let them get close enough to "find out what they wanted".

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    With or without the kids in the car?

Without: Slowly pull over to a safe spot with the Glock 22 in my hand, let them pass. If they pulled in, probably pull back out slowly. Maybe just stop in the road, glock in hand.

With kids: drive slowly but steadily to a well lit, public place. Calling 911 as I did. Glock still in hand.

Motorcycle: Immediately pull over. They pull over to? I may have lost my temper to that same degree that you would have if someone pointed a loaded gun at your head and said "just kidding."

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Make several turns including a 180. If they follow, then use my cel phone to call the police and stay on the line until they can come and ascertain the jerk's intentions towards me.

At no time would I cause a confrontation that might end in gunfire. That could be very, very bad for me in court.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Well, I'm still waiting on my LTCH to come in. I'd definitely try to head to a higher traffic area with 911 on the phone as I go. From there it depends on their actions. I'll up my speed a little. In my case my truck is my only defensive weapon.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Usually when someone is tailgating me, I just slow down to about 15-20mph regardless of the speed limit. But, if they were on me like you describe and not backing off, I would probably be on the phone having an officer catch up to us fairly quickly.

Though, what techres says seems like a great plan.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I wouldn't pull over and stop, someone could pin me in. I would turn on my 4-ways, call the police and try to drive to a populated area. With my pistol beside me on the seat.

It sounds like teenagers fooling around, though you can't assume that.

ElkhartGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Eklhart
    With or without the kids in the car?

Motorcycle: Immediately pull over. They pull over to? I may have lost my temper to that same degree that you would have if someone pointed a loaded gun at your head and said "just kidding."

Pull over on a motorcycle? what kind of sissy engine do you have? I dont know of many cars that can keep up with a motorcycle. I would have just unleashed hell on the throttle and laugh as his headlights disappered behind me.:rockwoot:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Make several turns including a 180. If they follow, then use my cel phone to call the police and stay on the line until they can come and ascertain the jerk's intentions towards me.

At no time would I cause a confrontation that might end in gunfire. That could be very, very bad for me in court.

:+1:
    My rule #1 if it looks like I'm being followed is never, and I mean never pull over or slow down and give that vehicle a chance to pull up beside you or possibly get in front then do a rapid stop to force a collision that deploys your airbag rendering your ability to see and protect yourself.

Make several nondescript turns as if it is your way home, or if near a gas station or convenience store do a 180 around there, all while preparing to dial 911.

Pulling the gun out is a last resort and only if they become aggressive and it becomes a necessity, then I plan on making sure I have the tactical advantage if this is the only option left.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Pull over on a motorcycle? what kind of sissy engine do you have? I dont know of many cars that can keep up with a motorcycle. I would have just unleashed hell on the throttle and laugh as his headlights disappered behind me.:rockwoot:

musclebikes_lg+2002_honda_magna+engine_view.jpg

Seriously?? True, "only" a cruiser but it is a Honda Magna. The cruiser that had the V-4 Interceptor engine? 1/4 mile is in the low 12s, thanks. Most "cruisers" are 65HP or less... with the jet kit and pipes, I'm a little over 90hp. Nope, not a sport bike but considerably more heart to it than 99% of cruisers where everyone can only assume two types of bikes exist: a Harley or a Hayabusa. (Sorta like any black plastic pistol must be a Glock to a newb.)

Yeah... Only 1% of the cars on the road I couldn't out-accelerate. That isn't the point for me. You drive just a little too close, even though motorcycle classes tell you not to speed up but pull over for the jacka$$, I'll probably speed up. You drive the equivalent of inches away from my rear tire while I'm on a bike, you've done the equivalent of sweeping me with your booger hook on the trigger. I'm beyond pissed off.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/6148-indiana_woman_shoots_biker_in_road_rage_case-14.html
    I've seen this thread go on for months and, other than a short visit, have avoided reading this due to internal conflicts.

THIS case, I'm not going to comment on - it sounds like both of these folks were sketchy in the past and may have been the exception to the rule.

There is something I feel compelled to say: There are many analogies between riding a motorcycle and carrying a handgun.

Both are licensed by the State with no mandated training - a background check for one, a license test for the other. However, many of us who carry daily do go on to get additional training regarding effective and legal use of a handgun. Many of us also continue training, beyond the State testing, for improving our motorcycling skills through organizations like ABATE.

Beyond the physical skills required for both activities are the much greater mental skills required to responsibly do either.

When to "walk away" from trouble is huge. Failure to do so is, in my opinion, foolish and potentially criminal.

ABATE teaches us to "walk away" from trouble. Pull over to avoid the overly aggressive driver. Just like we are expected to avoid the bad situation developing when the end result could be pulling your firearm.

For those of you who don't ride, let me describe my commute. Fishers (0715-0800) traveling along Allisonville to 465, west to 71st Street. There are times the alternate route might include 96th, 106th or 116th. The evening ride home is about 1700-1830.

Demographing is okay in sales - it is considered non-PC when applied in a negative manner. I'll use it anyway. Who drives in the most unsafe manner around bikes? Riding WAY to close in congested traffic to be able to stop safely without scraping me under the bumper? Merging over on top of me due to either not caring (he'll move) or not paying attention (cell phone / makeup?) In Indy - 3rd, black males between 18 - 35. 2nd, black women between 16 and 50. 1st, white females between 16 -25.

That demo has just been what I've observed since I've been in Indy.

I average around 150-200 miles per week commuting and riding. These folks driving around me like that, right on my rear tire, are no different (and arguably worse) than sweeping me at the range with a loaded handgun with your finger beginning to squeeze the trigger.

After a bit, though I'm consistently "walking away" from these jack****s, sometimes I'm trapped in congested traffic and can't get away. Damn right, I'm "threatened" by them. Yep, I'm pissed. Yep, just two weeks ago when trapped in stopped traffic on 465 and the cell phone wielding, 35 year old black male decides he wants in my lane and decides the best way to do it is to creeeeep over into my lane 'til his bumper is literally 6 inches from my leg... yeah, I'm pissed. Yep, I'm actually yelling, "WTF do you think you're doing?!?!?!"

Alright. I'll stop. The facts of this case are sketchy. More appropriately, the folks in this case are sketchy. I'll refrain from getting off my bike at a traffic light, walking back to the car that has been endangering my life as surely as if they're swinging their loaded handgun across my body mass, and asking them to please, back the h**l off before they kill me through their negligence.

Just please understand that driving dangerously is even more sensitive to those of us who choose to ride outside of a cage when we share the road. Just as those of us who choose to frequent the range are more sensitive to muzzle safety and trigger control of others around us.

Also, I wouldn't want anyone to reduce their situational awareness or let a perceived danger get too close, but please don't encourage others to start popping off rounds when someone comes walking up to their car - that situation, as applied to someone who might be coming to tell you that the gas cap is open, is kinda scary.

Rant off...

I'm not advocating "brandishing" a firearm every time you are slightly hacked off in traffic - far from it. Most are just inconsiderate, clueless cagers. ;) The OP described a case where the driver sounded aggressive enough that it was potentially a prelude to more violent action.

Remove yourself from the situation. (Safe place, out of his way.) Don't get trapped. Don't let a j-a goad you into unsafe behavior. Don't go looking for trouble or you'll certainly find it.

If, through not fault of your own and all possible avoidance, you find yourself in the sights of that aggressor be ready to deal with that situation.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    musclebikes_lg+2002_honda_magna+engine_view.jpg

Seriously?? True, "only" a cruiser but it is a Honda Magna. The cruiser that had the V-4 Interceptor engine? 1/4 mile is in the low 12s, thanks.

Yeah... Only 1% of the cars on the road I couldn't out-accelerate. ... I'm beyond pissed off.
    In the summer I spend more time on my bike than I do my truck. It is absolutely e-ssential that you keep an eye out for everyone else. My bike is just a little 600, but at 400 lbs and 100hp, my power to weight ratio is beyond all but other bikes and the best hot rods. Why stop for someone who is threatening me with their car?

Blue River Guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the input guys. So after several great feedbacks here is what happened. Feel free to critique what I did or give more options

I was by myself, no kids in the car, and no sidearm at this point because I did not have a permit to carry. That all changed after this night.

I slowed down one time in a passing area to 20mph and the driver refused to pass me. I returned to driving the speed limit. Cell phone was not an option at this point, because there is no service on this road for about 8 miles. I began to think about any places that were brightly lighted along the route and there would not be until I reached the town I lived in at the time which was about ten miles up the road at this point. At one point I reached a speed of 70mph on this road and the driver kept up close and personal.

When I reached the town I lived in I passed the turn to my house by three blocks. Made one right turn with the intentions of making 3 more if they followed, which would have placed me back on the county road and I would have traveled two more miles to a brightly lighted truckstop at the interstate. At this point the cell phone was out and ready to go as I was back in coverage again. I made the right turn and they did not follow. Pretty intense 12 miles. Today they sidearm would have been ready if needed.

As far as the motorcycle talk goes, that is all good until you hit a deer, which I did in 2007 on my motorcycle. Then your laid out on the road and the guy just runs you over. This particular road is curvey, hilly, and is known for all the deer on it.

In short always be in condition yellow in the color code of mental awarness and ready to jump to orange in a moments notice!

Thanks for all the feedback,
    pw

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I dont have any patience, so there's no way i could have drove that long with someone tailgaiting me. I would have already pulled over and had a little discussion with the gentlemen.

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    it is really hard to say what i would have done. its easy to sit and think about what i might have done it that situation. you might be suprized what a person can do in a split second decshion.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Thanks for the input guys. So after several great feedbacks here is what happened. Feel free to critique what I did or give more options

I was by myself, no kids in the car, and no sidearm at this point because I did not have a permit to carry. That all changed after this night.

I slowed down one time in a passing area to 20mph and the driver refused to pass me. I returned to driving the speed limit. Cell phone was not an option at this point, because there is no service on this road for about 8 miles. I began to think about any places that were brightly lighted along the route and there would not be until I reached the town I lived in at the time which was about ten miles up the road at this point. At one point I reached a speed of 70mph on this road and the driver kept up close and personal.

When I reached the town I lived in I passed the turn to my house by three blocks. Made one right turn with the intentions of making 3 more if they followed, which would have placed me back on the county road and I would have traveled two more miles to a brightly lighted truckstop at the interstate. At this point the cell phone was out and ready to go as I was back in coverage again. I made the right turn and they did not follow. Pretty intense 12 miles. Today they sidearm would have been ready if needed.

As far as the motorcycle talk goes, that is all good until you hit a deer, which I did in 2007 on my motorcycle. Then your laid out on the road and the guy just runs you over. This particular road is curvey, hilly, and is known for all the deer on it.

In short always be in condition yellow in the color code of mental awarness and ready to jump to orange in a moments notice!

Thanks for all the feedback,
    pw

All the machismo B.S. that some stated here aside, IMHO you did just fine. Responsible and reasonable actions for an apparently responsible, mature adult!!!! :rockwoot: :patriot:

Top Bottom