• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Fall semester I went to college A

I switched, and went to college B spring semester.

On the loan request paper for college B I selected " Have you received a loan for this academic year?"
    I selected YES
    I then entered the name of college A, and printed out my loan history, and attached it to the form.
    I received my loan, and was issued my refund after all expenses were dealt with.

This was a done months ago.

It is now time to register for fall classes.

I go to register, and on March 28th I get told that I owe the school a whopping 2427.00 in loan repayment to be paid back to the government.

I was baffled.

I email them and they say that I received 2472 over my maximum loan amount for the year, because I had previously received a loan at college A, and it needs to be repaid in order to register for the fall semester.

_____ Reply to thread before reading below this line _____

I tell them oh so politely that I filled out a form, and attached my loan history to the form, and submitted the form IN PERSON signed, to the office.

I said that my previous loan information was disclosed, and readily available to them. I said I will not be held responsible for their mistake.

I then get a phone call. I was told they pulled my documents, and I did indeed disclose my previous loan information. She said that they can help out. She gave me a scholarship to pay for my tuition and fees for that semester, thus transferring the money previously spent on tuition and fees to loan repayment.

This brought my amount from 2427 to 796 which I paid.

This mistake of theirs could have costed me big time, my academic career would have been totaled, I could not attend any school until that 2427 was repaid.

I believe what the school did above, is highly illegal on both of our ends, and I don't even want to think about what is going to happen next tax return, or when I get a loan for the fall semester from the government.

Last edited:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I wish I had thought about the legality of accepting that scholarship before I said yes, I will repay the 796, and paid it. It was only until after that I started thinking "can they even do that?"

So basically I just got a government loan, even though I was given a full-ride scholarship. I think that is going to come back to haunt me. If the school doesn't disclose the scholarship, I will be okay.
    The school also on their 1090whatevers for tax purposes, said I got 0 in scholarships, and that is what was placed on my tax return. But that was last month, this month I just got a full-ride. Can I even re-do my taxes?

But my other option was to drop out of school, work full time, and be set back in my academic career, and default on my student loans. So I don't really know.

I wish lawyers worked for free.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I had a similar experience when I was in school a couple of years ago (graduated 2011). I received my federal student loan and filled out all of my paper work student financial aide for the school two months before classes started. When classes finally started I never got a schedule and all that stuff. Turns out the financial aide people at the school distributed my loan wrong and said I had to pay $5000 before I could attend my classes.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I had a similar experience when I was in school a couple of years ago (graduated 2011). I received my federal student loan and filled out all of my paper work student financial aide for the school two months before classes started. When classes finally started I never got a schedule and all that stuff. Turns out the financial aide people at the school distributed my loan wrong and said I had to pay $5000 before I could attend my classes.

Obviously since you graduated, you made it out alive :D
    How did they go about correcting that problem?
    5,000 is a big mistake to be making.

Top Bottom