What Watches Do INGO Members Wear? "What's on your forearm"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    My old Seiko it's been on my wrist for the last 28 years
    It was my father's before that.
    N6effFsh.jpg

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I was on a budget when I bought my Omega, and Omega budget, not a Rolex budget. I bought my Hamilton’s, because they were cool, could’ve bought more expensive, so I don’t see them as budget watches, that’s where Citizen and Seiko come in to me. But, to each their own.
    I agree with this. Ive never seen Hamilton as "budget". If i see someone wearing a hammy Im instantly thinking that person has some good taste in watches.

Going back to what spencer mentioned about the swiss copying american watches. Hamilton was an American watch company when they started. They've been iconic in American culture since the early 1900's. Now the swiss own them and they are still just awesome pieces. Ill take a swiss automatic watch over a japanese automatic watch myself.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I recently found in a box of old family stuff and Hamilton pocket watch that my Great Grandmother gave my Great Grandfather in 1926. - I know that because the names and date are very nicely inscribed. I'll try to remember to take some pics of it and post them up here tonight.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I recently found in a box of old family stuff and Hamilton pocket watch that my Great Grandmother gave my Great Grandfather in 1926. - I know that because the names and date are very nicely inscribed. I'll try to remember to take some pics of it and post them up here tonight.
    That's amazing!! I love these family watch stories. For me, nothing is more personal than a watch especially from back un older time periods. Now most people use cell phones or apple watches for telling time. But i dont.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Seikos are more budget for the most part than hamilton. But if I'm going to recomend an entry level watch to someone above a couple hundred bucks ill start with hamilton. I agree that the seiko brand is iconic and important to horology but they just aren't my personal favorite. I still respect them for what they've accomplished. Seikos also have more expensive models, but ill stick with other brands

Swap Seiko and Hammy around, and those are my feelings on the subject :laugh:

Seiko makes everything in house. Hammy uses ETA's (nothing wrong with that, but they just don't have the horological significance Seikos do). GS is well above anything Hammy is capable of making.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Except one of you would be wrong!;)

Read my sig line. I think we know who's right :lmfao:

But seriously, this is an example of it being awesome that there are so many great choices. It keeps the world from being boring. And honestly, there's no wrong choice between Hammy and Seiko - just personal preference. If you're into boring old man field watches, you get the Hammy. If you're into cool dive watches, you get the Seiko.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Swap Seiko and Hammy around, and those are my feelings on the subject :laugh:

Seiko makes everything in house. Hammy uses ETA's (nothing wrong with that, but they just don't have the horological significance Seikos do). GS is well above anything Hammy is capable of making.
    Well grand seiko isnt even the same thing as a seiko

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Read my sig line. I think we know who's right :lmfao:

But seriously, this is an example of it being awesome that there are so many great choices. It keeps the world from being boring. And honestly, there's no wrong choice between Hammy and Seiko - just personal preference. If you're into borring field watches, you get the Hammy. If you're into cool dive watches, you get the Seiko.
    Your Sig line reminds me of a quote
    [FONT=&amp]Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power [/FONT]just 'cause[FONT=&amp] some watery tart threw a sword at you![/FONT]:dunno:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My grandfather on my mom's side owned a Ball 18 size 21 jewel - he was a coke plant manager for Republic steel and dealt with railroad deliveries, so he needed a suitable watch. Going to my oldest son.
    My paternal grandfather had a hunter 16 size 15 jewel Elgin with a date in 1920 engraved. Going to my oldest daughter.
    My mom's uncle got a 21 jewel diamond end stone 14 size Hallmark (Illinois) from the Knights of St. John. Going to the second daughter.
    Youngest gets the choice of the rest.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    :n00b:

Sorry, but Presage, Prospex, 5, GS, etc.....they're all Seikos. Just different levels, lines, etc... But certainly all are Seiko. Including GS.
    Ok I figured you would understand my short statement since you love seiko. GS isnt on the same level as seiko. Its like having a production pistol vs a custom shop handmade pistol. Not the same gun but can be the same company. But thats why they name them Grand Seiko. If im going to spend $5k on a watch its going to be a rolex, omega, panerai. But thats back to what you said, so many choices for different tastes. The consumer can have anything in the watch world the sky is the limit.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This thread is interesting. I have never been a watch guy. Used to wear a cheap timex, then I just stopped wearing one when I bought my first smart phone. I picked up a Fitbit charge 2 1.5 years ago. Been wearing that a lot. But now I have been wanting an Apple Watch, or even one of the new Fitbit smart watches.

There’s some very nice watches in this thread, which I’ll never be able to buy. But I enjoy looking at them.
    I wear a cheap timex i got at walmart sometimes. I just love watches. I would probably love smart watches if i knew how to use them. I can barely use my phone or tablet half the time. Just not a tech guy. If i had someone teach me how to use them I may be more into them. Same with watches though. A lot of people dont know how to use all of the complications on their watch but they enjoy the styling or them artistically or historically, maybe mechanically. Different strokes for different folks. One day you may see that "one" watch that sets you on a watch path. I had that happen with me and rolex. I had an old rolex but not anything soecial until i saw one on a fellow ingoers wrist. I fell in love. Within eh a month or so I had one and then went full retard. I'm in love with them. But i was always a watch collector. I was meeting him to buy a watch off him LOL

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Ok I figured you would understand my short statement since you love seiko. GS isnt on the same level as seiko. Its like having a production pistol vs a custom shop handmade pistol. Not the same gun but can be the same company. But thats why they name them Grand Seiko. If im going to spend $5k on a watch its going to be a rolex, omega, panerai. But thats back to what you said, so many choices for different tastes. The consumer can have anything in the watch world the sky is the limit.

And that is why I like Seiko so much. They are capable of making watches that exceed Rolex and Omega in terms of fit and finish for comparable prices. And they also make watches for the common man that are affordable and are a good bang for the buck. They may not be your style, but the company itself is of huge horological significance and is capable of making VERY high end watches. There aren't many out there anymore that literally make EVERYTHING in house (in house design and engineering, movements, etc... everything).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In the mid 1980s I had a watch with a scientific calculator built into it. That was awesome, but it didn't last very long under regular use.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    And that is why I like Seiko so much. They are capable of making watches that exceed Rolex and Omega in terms of fit and finish for comparable prices. And they also make watches for the common man that are affordable and are a good bang for the buck. They may not be your style, but the company itself is of huge horological significance and is capable of making VERY high end watches. There aren't many out there anymore that literally make EVERYTHING in house (in house design and engineering, movements, etc... everything).
    If you say so. I haven't found that and like I said above I've owned seikos too still do.
    One of the reasons I enjoy Rolex is all of the in house stuff they do. They even have their own refinery to melt their own gold, and a proprietary steel they use in their watches. Rolex movements, well best in the world. Rolex are watches for the common man as well. I bet they sell more watches to the common man wanting to buy one for a special occasion than to the super rich. Rolex watches are not even close to being the most expensive luxury watch brand. Not by a country mile.

But hey its just like with guns. Some dude is always going to think his Anderson is better or the same as a BCM or LMT. No one was trying to put down his rifle until he wanted to compare.

Top Bottom