What Trauma Kits / IFAKS / Regular First Aid Kits do you have where & why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    In my Truck I carry an Aid Kit, this is everything from Izzy's, CATs, to Band-aids, to Aspirin, to Rehydration Salts, to Kaopectate.

Everything else is geared for just trauma treatment.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've got a number of commercial kits of the 'minor injury' variety and an old army aid bag (which I seldom look at). Really need to address this portion of my preps.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I'M EMT and cardiac tech so I have access to more than some. My truck tech kit contains:

gloves
    stethoscope
    BP Cuff
    n95 masks
    gowns
    Trauma dressings
    kerlex
    coban wrap
    cavi wipes
    ace bandages
    SAMs splints, soft splints
    triangular bandages(sling)
    sterile saline-bottles, syringes
    Ratcheting tourniquet
    OB kit
    O2 cylinder
    Bag valve mask
    O2 delivery ( NRB,simple mask, nasal cannula)
    Combi tubes
    Oral airways, Nasal airways
    2 Bags of normal Saline
    IV sets
    AED

At home in my SHTF supplies I have all of the above in greater quantities plus:
    Suture kits
    AED/12 lead EKG moniter, with pad supply
    Dermabond(medical super glue)
    OTC meds, epi pens, other meds…..
    needles, syringes etc
    of course the items that expire will eventually be useless if I can’t rotate them out but better than nothing.

As far as getting going with a kit you can go a few ways. There are numerous places on line (galls, firestore.com etc) where you can buy prestocked bags at various levels and prices. You can restock most of your supplies after use at CVS, Walgreens or Wal-Mart. Or if you want look at the list of supplies included in these, then buy the supplies at above stores and buy a duffel bag or backpack. Also if you have to use supplies on a scene ask the responding EMS personnel if they would mind replacing the supplies you used. Some may not but I am always happy to oblige a citizen who took the effort to help another in need.

Is this truck kit merely a OMG SHTF TEOTWAWKI kit or a just in case you come upon an emergency kit?

I ask because assuming you are an EMT basic, IV's are way out of your scope of practice, and combitubes are most certainly outside of your scope of practice without medical direction, and is pushing the limits of good samaritan law. Even if your certification level is higher than basic, IV's would still be out of your scope without medical direction.

This all of course assuming you arent also a volunteer.

Also, as a cardiac tech I wont question your ability to interpret a 12 lead, but what purpose does it serve to have other than the cool factor?

I mean, sure if grandma has chest pain you could run a 12 lead, but in SHTF I dont think a cath lab will be nearby.

dswilson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Shelby County
    Is this truck kit merely a OMG SHTF TEOTWAWKI kit or a just in case you come upon an emergency kit?

I ask because assuming you are an EMT basic, IV's are way out of your scope of practice, and combitubes are most certainly outside of your scope of practice without medical direction, and is pushing the limits of good samaritan law. Even if your certification level is higher than basic, IV's would still be out of your scope without medical direction.

This all of course assuming you arent also a volunteer.

Also, as a cardiac tech I wont question your ability to interpret a 12 lead, but what purpose does it serve to have other than the cool factor?

I mean, sure if grandma has chest pain you could run a 12 lead, but in SHTF I dont think a cath lab will be nearby.

I am a volunteer and I'm an EMT-A which means normal saline(under medical direction). combitubes are most definitely in scope of practice for a basic. It is one of the mandatory practical skills. the stuff that is out of scope and along with the 12 lead is at home not in my truck. While your right that a cathlab is most likely gonna be non existent in a teotwawki scenario you can use it to interpret other arrhythmia and AV problems which can be treated with OTC meds and other remedies. I mainly picked it up because i got a good deal at an auction on it and my father, grandfather and grandmother in law have heart disease. Another thing on IV sets, They are very useful for things othre than delivering IV fluids. Take an IV set and a nasal cannula and you have a vey ueful eyewash kit.:yesway: Im not gonna lie though I am capable of many skills that are illegal for me to practice in today's situation. But in a scenario where I can save someones life and there is little hop of getting them to a healthcare facility I will use any skills at my disposal and deal with the legal ramifications later.

Top Bottom