What tools do you keep in your go-to range bag?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    What do you guys carry in the way of tools in your go-to range bag?
    I’ve been trying to pare down the range bag contents to lighten it up a bit and went over which tools live in the range bag. Here’s what I’ve decided to retain:
    - Screwdrivers: Boxed bit kit, little micro diver with multiple heads, one small 4-way driver, one bit handle (the one in the Felo box is pretty small)
    - Pliers: Small pair of needle-nose
    - Two-head (nylon, brass) hammer
    - A brass punch
    - Allen wrenches (hex keys) in little vinyl pouch
    - Brass dowel pointer, scraper
    - Spare pocketknife
    - Little pair of scissors
    - Small flashlight with bore-light tip
    - Small tape measure
    - Not pictured: Stapler and staples, small roll of duct tape, roll of masking tape, take-down cleaning rod, some blue Loctite and some super glue (in tiny Ziplock in the cleaning kit)

Attachments

• IMG_20200301_055634724.jpg
      IMG_20200301_055634724.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 24

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    That sounds pretty good Mark106. I need to add one or two of your suggestions to my kit. Might I suggest:
    A brass rod to knock out any squibs. Fresh batteries for electronic earmuffs and red dot(s).
    Other types of tools: Some form of hand wipes (lead remover wipes will soon be replacing the baby wipes in my kit). First aid equipment. Proper eyewear and lens cleaner/anti-fog (do not use anti-fog on any anti-reflective coated lenses)

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Oh, and depending on the range location, one or two ammonia inhalers. I carry these to soothe bee or wasp stings, NOT to inhale. It is a convenient way to have some on hand in a small quantity. If you have never tried it on a sting, the sooner you apply it the better it works. NEVER use it near your eyes!

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    That sounds pretty good Mark106. I need to add one or two of your suggestions to my kit. Might I suggest:
    A brass rod to knock out any squibs. Fresh batteries for electronic earmuffs and red dot(s).
    Other types of tools: Some form of hand wipes (lead remover wipes will soon be replacing the baby wipes in my kit). First aid equipment. Proper eyewear and lens cleaner/anti-fog (do not use anti-fog on any anti-reflective coated lenses)

You not only may suggest, I heartily concur!
    I was thinking more common use of the word "tools" ... that, is hand tools ... but everything you mentioned is in the bag(s). Both the shotgun (clays) bag and the rifle/pistol bag have the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs, spare batteries, etc. Both bags have hand wipes, glasses-care stuff (I wears scrips), etc.
    Re FAKs, I keep two in each bag -- a basic boo-boo kit and a blowout kit (tourniquet, hemostatic gauze, pressure bandage, shears, gloves, duct tape, sharpie).

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    All good stuff. I keep a carbon boss tool with me as well. If I shoot a bunch of rounds through my suppressed ar15 I usually bring some solvent and spray down the bolt, clean it off before I go home. Its generally a pretty handy tool as well.

https://brigadeqm.com/carbon-boss-ar15-comprehensive-carbon-removal-multi-tool

Me, too, re the quick cleanup of the bolt group before heading home.
    Re the carbon tool, I hve one of the CAT M4 tools. Does a pretty good job helping clean up the BCG and doesn't take up much room in the kit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SepQGMCMLF8

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    An adjustable wrench, or size specific spanner wrench for muzzle devices. If I'm taking a class with an AR I bring a castle nut wrench.

I look over my equipment, and make sure I have the appropriate tools to tighten/loosen any fastener, optic mount, battery compartment, etc etc.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Me, too, re the quick cleanup of the bolt group before heading home.
    Re the carbon tool, I hve one of the CAT M4 tools. Does a pretty good job helping clean up the BCG and doesn't take up much room in the kit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SepQGMCMLF8

Definitely makes a huge difference. Especially with kids. Sometimes I get home and its a couple days before I can break them apart and clean them. The quick scrub and spray down really helps it not turn into a 3 hour job.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    Definitely makes a huge difference. Especially with kids. Sometimes I get home and its a couple days before I can break them apart and clean them. The quick scrub and spray down really helps it not turn into a 3 hour job.

I hear ya. I think I take very good care of my guns, but the older I get the less time I want to devote to it.
    Only shot 4 rounds of skeet yesterday, so the little 20 gauge gas semi-auto got the quick clean today: a shot of my favorite CLP down the pipe, followed by a bore snake. Used a bit of the same on a few rag pieces and wiped off the mag tube, spring, action arms and cleaned up the cylinder and cylinder housing. Wiped out the chamber with small piece of rag on the narrow end of the gun brush. Pulled the choke tube, wiped its threads and the ones in the barrel, dabbed on a wee bit of grease and reinstalled.
    Fifteen minutes and she's back in the safe. Part of me wants to feel guilty, but I know that gun will run like champ this weekend.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    a couple std length allen wrenches for particular screws on a couple guns,
    2 long allen wrenches for my race holster, ( not sure why, I haven't adjusted that holster in at least 20 years)
    Leatherman multitool, 1911 bushing wrench, and a firearm multitool

:cheers:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Leatherman Wave with 21piece bit kit. Has various size Phillips/pozi, flathead, hex, and torx bits. Since they're kinda flat, the hex ones also work with square drive.

Top Bottom