What is the deal with all of the small bucks???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frankingun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    FireHawk:

It was VERY sound reasoning on how fewer days gun hunting would kill more deer.........With fewer days it would force hunters to shoot the deer in front of them rather than trophy hunt and go home empty handed after pushing them around for two weeks. the early antlerless season would have taken does from the herd and made the bucks search harder during the gun season. Moving the season a week later would have made it easier for a guy to take a week vacation using only 3 vacation days.........

I could go on and on but you seem to know more than our proffesional deer biologist. AGAIN this was the IDNR plan not the IDHA or the IBA, you are posting false statements.

But again that is how some people operate...........

I have a followup question to this. Why not have that special two day firearm doe [STRIKE]season[/STRIKE] weekend AND leave the firearm season as it was? Because unless I'm remembering the defunct proposal wrong, it shortened the gun and muzzleloader seasons, not simply moved back gun season by a week. And no, I'm no expert. My vast deer hunting experience started last Friday, a whole two hours of not seeing anything. I'm just trying to stay informed.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Blackoak;

Why don't you get your facts straight before posting? At one time a deer hunter in Indiana could take four(4) bucks not counting any special hunt! So your comment that gun hunters could only take one is not correct.

Archery 2 deer EITHER sex

General firearm 1 antlered deer

Muzzleloader 1 deer either sex

It took a couple decades to get to one buck.

I know where you get your info and you really need to quit drinking the Kool Aid from Woody.
    What was the time frame when Indiana allowed 4 bucks to be taken by a hunter. If you tagged a buck during firearms season you were not allowed to tag one during muzzle loader season. Kool Aid? I have never met this Woody guy in my life, but you sure are obsessed with him. Whats he got on you Joe?

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    What was the time frame when Indiana allowed 4 bucks to be taken by a hunter. If you tagged a buck during firearms season you were not allowed to tag one during muzzle loader season. Kool Aid? I have never met this Woody guy in my life, but you sure are obsessed with him. Whats he got on you Joe?

blackoak,

Check out Hunting Indiana Forums. Google "Hunting Indiana", I'd insert a link but don't know if it's "legal" here. Woody Williams is the administrator there. Check out the thread Hunting Indiana Deer Proposal Polls.

I used to visit that site years ago, maybe I'll have to spend some time there again.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    blackoak,

Check out Hunting Indiana Forums. Google "Hunting Indiana", I'd insert a link but don't know if it's "legal" here. Woody Williams is the administrator there. Check out the thread Hunting Indiana Deer Proposal Polls.

I used to visit that site years ago, maybe I'll have to spend some time there again.

Blackoak is a member there.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Blackoak;

Why don't you get your facts straight before posting? At one time a deer hunter in Indiana could take four(4) bucks not counting any special hunt! So your comment that gun hunters could only take one is not correct.

Archery 2 deer EITHER sex

General firearm 1 antlered deer

Muzzleloader 1 deer either sex

It took a couple decades to get to one buck.

I know where you get your info and you really need to quit drinking the Kool Aid from Woody.

Joe you comment about my facts being straight kind of struck a nerve. I was 99% sure my facts were straight, but to be sure I stopped in at the Regional Sugar Ridge Fish and Wildlife DNR office today and posed the question excluding military and park and urban hunts has has it ever been legal to kill more than 2 bucks in this state. The lady in the office, a 19 year DNR employee said never has it been legal to tag more than 2 bucks in this state for at least the 19 years she's been in service. The only legal way to tag 2 bucks was to tag one with archery and the other one with EITHER a shotgun, hand gun, or muzzle loader. ,http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Drseason00.pdf .Here's a link to the 2000 deer regs backing this up also. As far back as the early 1970's, if my memory is correct it has always been this way. Bag limits for does has been changed and the process of getting the opportunity to bag them has changed, but IN has always been a 2 buck limit state prior to the OBR. You would think the the pres of the IDA would have known this.

Grape, or orange, I got the first round.:40oz:

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    blackoak,

I'm a member at his site just like I am at Joe's site, but I have never personally met either one in person. I do know for a fact that WW has never made the statement that I drink the Joe Bacon Kool Aid, LOL

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Four buck tags were for one year only when the DNR screwed up on the wording in the hunting guide pertaining to MZS.

That was corrected the following year.

That was at least 25 years ago.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Small bucks?

We are doing an excellent job of button buck recruitment. The percent BB kill has been about 10% for quite sometime..

That is the reason we are seeing more bucks - young and old.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    FireHawk:

It was VERY sound reasoning on how fewer days gun hunting would kill more deer.........

Talking to the Indiana “professional” deer biologist at Sugar Ridge he positively said there was no reason to shorten the MZ seasons, as 80 % of their kill was antlerless. He also stated that no state had ever reduced their gun seasons in order to kill more deer. He said Indiana would be the first and it was very “experimental” in theory. This flies in the face of what other states are doing as they are increasing their season length in order to kill more deer. Did any of the stakeholder groups ever question why they would do either of these season reducing, especially the MZ season?

Or were they just too happy to finally get their way in shortening and moving the gun season?

Some of these groups have always wanted a short and moved gun season for years..... they thought that they got it, but several thousand Indiana Average Joe Deer Hunters said,” UH-UH, I don’t think so!!”

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Small bucks?

We are doing an excellent job of button buck recruitment. The percent BB kill has been about 10% for quite sometime..

That is the reason we are seeing more bucks - young and old.

LOL, I just whacked one a few days ago.

Deer can be dumb and live. Deer can be near the truck and live but dumb deer near the truck aren't gonna last long no matter what the alpha bet hunters want or how many meetings they go to.

Dumb and and close to the truck = dead.

I doubt they really have a clue how many buttons get the smack down since it's just a flayed out slick by the time it get's to the check station. Tag it and bag it, it's meat now.

Didn't even know it was a male until I grabbed his ear to hold his head up for a pic and dang there's a little nub under that skin head. LOL.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    If an additional season is added, a Doe only for example, it should be longer than just a weekend.. Indiana has many groups that observe a sabbath , also not everyone get to work M-F every week.. any addtional seasons should be 4 days 2 weekends, 2 week days..

sisnce they wanted to add an additional license you could make it week end, or weekday only..

Top Bottom