• Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Count me out.
    I buy just cause I want one all the time.
    It’s only a problem if you’re using credit or bill money. So if you want it and can afford it then buy it
    I like that advice! I don't buy anything on credit. I paid cash for my last house about 3 years ago. Not interested in accumulating debt at 67.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I've owned a P32 and there are quite a few LCPs in my "circle", so I have some experience with them.

The P32 is cheaply constructed (I had to fix mine with a hair dryer to keep one of the springs from popping out), has a lousy trigger, useless sights, and is difficult to shoot with any degree of accuracy. But there's nothing else out there quite like it for form factor and weight (IIRC mine was under 10oz). I have big hands so it was always a struggle for me, and I ultimately decided I just wasn't effective enough with it to justify carrying it as an "only gun", especially when I can go just a bit bigger and get into a J-Frame, which I'm much more effective with and confident in.

The LCP has a lot of the same problems as the P32, but it's bigger and produces more recoil, so it's less concealable and less controllable than the P32. If my situation ever changed and ultra-deep concealment became the paramount priority, I might buy another P32. I can't think of a reason that I'd buy an LCP.
    I don't feel that way about my P32. Is/was your P32 the original, or the newer version? Mine is 25 years old with nary a hiccup. Perhaps the 'big hands' is the issue. I can shoot a P32 well... enough, 60-70% of rounds is a 3" circle at 5 yards, as fast as I can find the sights. And I have white dots on front and rear sight.

Your point about control-ability in the LCP my primary concern. Less control, larger groups, and 1 fewer rounds than my P32 does not equal a win. I think my biggest reason for wanting an LCP (original only) is the DAO-style trigger. I love that as a safety feature. Sometimes I am amazed that I used to carry a 5" 1911 in Condition ONE, and was comfortable and confident with it.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I don't feel that way about my P32. Is/was your P32 the original, or the newer version? Mine is 25 years old with nary a hiccup. Perhaps the 'big hands' is the issue. I can shoot a P32 well... enough, 60-70% of rounds is a 3" circle at 5 yards, as fast as I can find the sights.

Mine was a gen 1. It worked just fine with a little TLC, and like you I had no problem making hits up close with it, but I'm more comfortable with a tool that I can use proficiently well beyond that distance, and for me that was not going to be the P32. I practice and qualify with my 642 out to 25 yards and beyond with no issues. There's no way that was going to happen with the P32.

Up close, the J-frame also gives me more punch and the added benefits of revolver reliability for an entanglement situation. Also taking into consideration that I'm prevented by policy from carrying a backup of lesser than .380 caliber, and the P32 just didn't fill a role for me.

Obviously YMMV. I think it's a gun that fills a very unique niche that nothing else does, but the J-Frame was just a better fit for me and my needs at this time.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I am actually in the market for a P32. (I am in a different state than most of you) They seem a bit hard to come by. For what I want I see it as preferable to the LCP. It won't be a primary.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Mine was a gen 1. It worked just fine with a little TLC, and like you I had no problem making hits up close with it, but I'm more comfortable with a tool that I can use proficiently well beyond that distance, and for me that was not going to be the P32. I practice and qualify with my 642 out to 25 yards and beyond with no issues. There's no way that was going to happen with the P32.

Up close, the J-frame also gives me more punch and the added benefits of revolver reliability for an entanglement situation. Also taking into consideration that I'm prevented by policy from carrying a backup of lesser than .380 caliber, and the P32 just didn't fill a role for me.

Obviously YMMV. I think it's a gun that fills a very unique niche that nothing else does, but the J-Frame was just a better fit for me and my needs at this time.
    The only thing I shoot at more than 15 yards is my BuckMark .22LR. That is my max practice distance because it is about my max vision distance. I can't perceive depth beyond that because my right eye is 20/400, essentially blind. And now you know why I no longer ride a Harley Ultra-Classic. And also why I bought 2-7x optical scope for my Buckmark.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    No problem here...You just like guns!
    Maybe go rent one and try out before you buy?
    I looked. I generally go to Range USA in Mishawaka. They have a rental LCP II. Not even close to the same gun. I think they should call it LCP Ruined. Version II is bigger, heavier, has a trigger dongle and lost its DAO-like trigger. Yes, I am a dinosaur.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    The only thing I shoot at more than 15 yards is my BuckMark .22LR. That is my max practice distance because it is about my max vision distance. I can't perceive depth beyond that because my right eye is 20/400, essentially blind. And now you know why I no longer ride a Harley Ultra-Classic. And also why I bought 2-7x optical scope for my Buckmark.
    That's understandable. I've worn glasses since I was a kid, and thankfully my vision is correctable for now, but that probably won't last forever. Have you tried a red dot on a handgun yet? It reduces the amount of focal planes that you have to focus on at once and can really help with eyesight related shooting issues.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    That's understandable. I've worn glasses since I was a kid, and thankfully my vision is correctable for now, but that probably won't last forever. Have you tried a red dot on a handgun yet? It reduces the amount of focal planes that you have to focus on at once and can really help with eyesight related shooting issues.
    Have never tried RDS. I did recently buy an optical scope for my .22LR pistol. Old-school, I guess.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    This is my mouse gun.
    Shield 45acp. This is as small as I want to go. Any thing smaller just doesn't fit my hands.
    View attachment 376931
    This is accurate and reliable.
    This is my 90+ degree day edc.

I put an LCP in my hand and it is so tiny I can't get a grip on it.
    Yeah, that was my issue, too. I would have had to use this as a belly gun because I could hardly hold on to it.
    1000004365.jpg

HCALREF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I own the p32, lcp, and lcp2. All work fine but the p32 is the one I carry in glove compartment in car. Mainly because it is the smallest and lightest. I have owned for maybe 15 years or more, Shot, Im sure over 500 rounds or more, and it always works. I will probably never need it for self defense, but I trust it.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    Just picked it up this morning. Didn't get the lite that I originally looked at, but the standard 10" takedown. Couldnt justify the extra $225. Came with a really nice bag though. Just put a cheap pinty red dot on it I had laying around. Gonna take it out shortly.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    A .380ACP is as low I as go when it comes to a self-defense designated pistol.

I will say that with practice, even the micro pocket pistols can be shot well. With enough practice, they don't have to be just a belly gun..

My pocket carry, even when I carry something larger:

Finished-LCP.jpg

LCP @ 10-yards, off hand:
    LCP-10-Yards.jpg

Top Bottom