• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I have two well-broken in pocket guns. The Kahr CM9 is a bit over 1300 rounds without an issue (since Kahr CS replaced the original gun as defective). I trust it. I can shoot it. It is reliable. The Keltec P32 is (probably) at about 1000 rounds over 25 years with not a single issue. I trust it. I can shoot it. It is reliable. I have, for the last 2 weeks or so, been reading about the Ruger LCP (original), and .380 ACP in general. There is no practical difference between .32 ACP and .380 ACP with respect to ballistic effectiveness. As with any handgun caliber, shot placement rules the day. There is no practical difference between the size/weight of my P32, and the size/weight of the LCP. Knowing all this, why in the name of all that is good and right do I still want to buy a Ruger LCP? What is my problem?

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    380 is quite a bit more powerful than .32acp

Check out some of Paul Harrell's videos on the subject, you'll be busy for hours listening to his anecdotes and Shatneresque... Pauses
    That is true... in general. I am quite sure it is possible to find hot .32 ammo that has more muzzle energy than the average .380, though. Both are weeny cartridges. Ammo for the .380 is more expensive, and quite variable wrt penetration/expansion. The main advantage of the P32 is 7+1 vs 6+1 for the LCP. And I already know that ANY .32 round that expands won't penetrate, and ANY .32 round that penetrates won't expand. This allows me to shoot 73gr FMJ in the P32 without fear of overpenetration. I think with .380, I have the choice of two rounds: Hornady Critical Defense, or Precision ONE FTX. Both seem to reliably expand, but are near minimum for penetration. Seems to me a .32 ACP than can penetrate 16"+ will be more effective than a .380 that barely goes over 12". It is also possible that I am thoroughly mistaken. I am still mulling over the purchase of the LCP.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    I've got an old .32 long S&W that belonged to my mother and a Browning .380 1911. Not even a comparison really. The .380 is superior. i understand the acp is more powerful, but it would have to be alot more to approach the .380. The Hornady Critical Defence is my round of choice for .380.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    I have two well-broken in pocket guns. The Kahr CM9 is a bit over 1300 rounds without an issue (since Kahr CS replaced the original gun as defective). I trust it. I can shoot it. It is reliable. The Keltec P32 is (probably) at about 1000 rounds over 25 years with not a single issue. I trust it. I can shoot it. It is reliable. I have, for the last 2 weeks or so, been reading about the Ruger LCP (original), and .380 ACP in general. There is no practical difference between .32 ACP and .380 ACP with respect to ballistic effectiveness. As with any handgun caliber, shot placement rules the day. There is no practical difference between the size/weight of my P32, and the size/weight of the LCP. Knowing all this, why in the name of all that is good and right do I still want to buy a Ruger LCP? What is my problem?
    Every time I buy a new gun, I think “why did I do this? I surely didn’t need it.” I’ve started telling myself that I’m going start selling one for every new one I buy. That hasn’t started yet. LOL

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Dang, I thought I was the only one.... I've had a P32 for going on 10+ years, and I love it, but working at Academy, I look at the LCP every night ( we have the original LCP for $199, and I get a discount) and want one, I've actually tried to trade/sell the P32, but my heart keeps telling my to keep the .32......The .380 is slightly more powerful, has a heavier bullet weight, but the .32 is 7 + 1, and the LCP is 6+1..... Basset I feel your pain, maybe we can start a support group....

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Stop being poor.
    IMG_8528.gif

I mean, with a thread title like that I couldn’t resist.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    ...because it's a Ruger. However, I am prone to the LC9S with laser. :cool:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    My pocket pistol is a Sig P290RS, 6+1 of 9mm. I carry a spare 8 round mag but its a bit chunky to carry and have been considering selling it and getting the Bodyguard 2.0. At one point I tried out several 380 pistols and at that time felt the LCP max was maybe the one but never went for it. Also considered a J frame in 38 but again never did anything.

After handling the Bodyguard 2.0 and hearing reviews on the trigger I may just give it a half a year and get rid of the 290.

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Nah. Can't stand trigger dongles. And the SAO like pull absolutely sucks.
    I think you are thinking of the original Bodyguard, the 2.0 has a striker fired flat trigger.

ETA. I misread your comment. You actually like long double action triggers. If so you would like my P290

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've owned a P32 and there are quite a few LCPs in my "circle", so I have some experience with them.

The P32 is cheaply constructed (I had to fix mine with a hair dryer to keep one of the springs from popping out), has a lousy trigger, useless sights, and is difficult to shoot with any degree of accuracy. But there's nothing else out there quite like it for form factor and weight (IIRC mine was under 10oz). I have big hands so it was always a struggle for me, and I ultimately decided I just wasn't effective enough with it to justify carrying it as an "only gun", especially when I can go just a bit bigger and get into a J-Frame, which I'm much more effective with and confident in.

The LCP has a lot of the same problems as the P32, but it's bigger and produces more recoil, so it's less concealable and less controllable than the P32. If my situation ever changed and ultra-deep concealment became the paramount priority, I might buy another P32. I can't think of a reason that I'd buy an LCP.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Dang, I thought I was the only one.... I've had a P32 for going on 10+ years, and I love it, but working at Academy, I look at the LCP every night ( we have the original LCP for $199, and I get a discount) and want one, I've actually tried to trade/sell the P32, but my heart keeps telling my to keep the .32......The .380 is slightly more powerful, has a heavier bullet weight, but the .32 is 7 + 1, and the LCP is 6+1..... Basset I feel your pain, maybe we can start a support group....
    Count me out.
    I buy just cause I want one all the time.
    It’s only a problem if you’re using credit or bill money. So if you want it and can afford it then buy it

Top Bottom