• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    My wife and I are also looking at land. There's lots of great options out there to purchase or grow fruit trees that will produce within a year or two of being planted. If you can wait that long, I think it's a wise move.

This. The land I currently live on has only a few poorly producing apple trees, but it will soon see the introduction of a number of others including Pawpaws, Northern Blueberry bushes etc.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think it has more to do with the goats we used to own. They ate the lower branches bare and the poor thing hasn't been doing well since :(

Good idea, though. Thanks :yesway:

Fruit trees do huge amounts of damage to the nutrients in the soil. Sadly it took me years of having crappy fruits to think of this...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Fruit trees do huge amounts of damage to the nutrients in the soil. Sadly it took me years of having crappy fruits to think of this...

Did you discover a way to replenish those nutrients without having to buy powders etc? I don't like the idea of relying on a tree that will only produce well so long as my store of nitrogen or what have you lasts.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Did you discover a way to replenish those nutrients without having to buy powders etc? I don't like the idea of relying on a tree that will only produce well so long as my store of nitrogen or what have you lasts.
    Night Soil (poop), carp fished out of local waters, beer recently rented. Night soil especially, since it may not be safe for garden crops (depending on whose poop it is), but is certainly safe for fruit trees (as long as the friut does not drop into it).

This week:
    200 rounds of 9mm loaded
    Got a new Kahr
    Cleaned BOB cooking utensils and replenished FAK stuff

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Night Soil (poop), carp fished out of local waters, beer recently rented. Night soil especially, since it may not be safe for garden crops (depending on whose poop it is), but is certainly safe for fruit trees (as long as the friut does not drop into it).
    I would personally avoid the use of Human Feces (Night Soil) as much as possible. However, properly composted animal feces should boost your nutrients up quite a bit. :dunno:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I would personally avoid the use of Human Feces (Night Soil) as much as possible. However, properly composted animal feces should boost your nutrients up quite a bit. :dunno:
    Actually the city of Milwaukee,WI has been SELLING human feces for use as a fertilizer for quite some time and VERY successfully too. They call it Milorganite....MILwaukee ORGanic NITrogEn.
    Milorganite
    Milorganite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I've used it commercially and even hear that it is very effective in keeping away deer and other varmints. It is my understanding that the only potential problems are when someone is taking a LOT of prescriptions it tends to be excreted in fecal matter. This in itself isn't a problem, but there is really no way to measure saturation or know exactly what is there and how much. Still shouldn't be a concern for trees though. To date though, NO studies have provided evidence that this practice is hazardous.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Actually the city of Milwaukee,WI has been SELLING human feces for use as a fertilizer for quite some time and VERY successfully too. They call it Milorganite....MILwaukee ORGanic NITrogEn.
    Milorganite
    Milorganite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I've used it commercially and even hear that it is very effective in keeping away deer and other varmints. It is my understanding that the only potential problems are when someone is taking a LOT of prescriptions it tends to be excreted in fecal matter. This in itself isn't a problem, but there is really no way to measure saturation or know exactly what is there and how much. Still shouldn't be a concern for trees though. To date though, NO studies have provided evidence that this practice is hazardous.
    Actually what they sell started out as Human Waste, however is composted out though various processes into a safe product. Please do not confuse this as Night Soils. Night Soils can contribute to some very serious problems....

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

buy about 8 chickens. use the deep liter method and ever 2-3 months clean it out and compost it, it will be some of the best fertilizer you will ever use and its replenish-able when the grid is down and no stores are selling fertilizer.

any type of poop needs to be composted before you really use it. a lot of folks don't but they also believe that to be the reason for the outbreak in europe this year that killed those folks and got thousands sick.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Went through my truck bag (GHB). I added the Martin papoose I just bought to the bag. I also went through my first aid kit and took some junk out, and put some good stuff in.

Got to test fire my papoose and adjust the sights the same day and the rifle functioned flawlessly and was fairly accurate.

Last edited:

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Slow week of prepping for me:

Still worked out, weights, road work, mountain biking, swimming etc.
    But no ruck, no sparring/heavy bag

1 dryfire session

Finished a book by a couple SEAL sniper instructors on the 21st century sniper and their purpose in future warfare.

Went camping. It was car camping, but always good practice to cook over a fire for 9 hungry men. Camping always entails rope work, edged tool use, fire making, first aid, field kitchen managment, camp sanitation and hygiene and so on. Slept under the stars in my hammock.

Bought a 4 pack of Vetwrap at Tractor supply. And it was CAMO.

Bought a Chicago Tool 800 watt genny at Harbor Freight, as a back up. $89.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    This past weekend I shot and cleaned all my SHTF guns and checked that all mags for them were loaded again. For the first time ever I've had a garden that produced in excess of our wants. Not quite enough for serious canning, yet too much for us to eat so I actually did a little trading with a neighbor for veggies that he had which we didn't plant this year. We traded some greenbeans for some of his sweet corn. We then cooked, cut, and froze the corn in bags that were filled to the approximate serving needs of a single meal for my family. Yes, I know that frozen isn't really prep as per say, but I consider it to be such. We have enough fuel for our genny now to keep our freezer working in SHTF for almost a month of limited intermitent use, which means that the frozen foods we have are still good up to that point. We don't concentrate on frozen items, but we use them anyway, and if we can keep them cold it means an additional few weeks we don't have to tap into the longer term stored foods. We idealy plan for surviving on frozen types of foods for two+ weeks while we can until fuel usage doesn't make sense anymore. Then of course, we'll switch over to the goods that store for much longer. This puts our overall stored foods up to almost 5 months worth of survival. I also picked up a nearly new Lee 3 stage turret press for the cost of 500 9mm bullets (just the lead). I was given the 9mm lead from someone who wasn't into reloading, and I don't shoot that caliber. I'm just now getting into reloading so I thought this trade was worth it in my position. I've got a couple dies to buy now and I will soon be a reloader. I also spent 2-3 hours with my uncle (NRA reloading instructor) going over the in's-out's of reloading and what I would need. In the next few weeks he's going to actually teach me the basics so I can get started reloading. I also spent a little time researching the furniture for my draco sbr, still got a few months on the papers to come back, but this is one of my bug out guns so I've put a little extra time into making sure it's built the way I want.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    cleaned out and organized surplus meds, located deficiencies in extra medications I take on a daily basis.

Organized bandages/gauze, etc... located a lack of compression bandages.

Couple of dry-fire drills.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom