• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I will be rotating out all my magazines today. I took a couple of my 10/22's to the range with magazines I have had loaded for a long time. Jam after jam. Emptied them by hand, sprayed a little lube and reloaded, no issues. I know better about proper maintenance but it is a lesson learned and better in a controlled setting then out in the field or worse.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If the average person saw your ammo storage, and wouldn't think you're hoarding, then you're probably not prepping.

Now there's a sliding scale for ya. If you have someone that takes the lamestream media urinalists seriously, Grandpa's single shot .22 rifle, a 9mm hipoint and a 12ga pump with 2-3 incomplete boxes of ammo qualifies as an arsenal. I can just imagine the PSH I'd get here.

The last and next few weeks see me getting ready for my garden, starting seeds, putting up my grow lights, planning the layout. I'm trying a variety of plants, sticking with heirloom and non GMO seeds, that kind of thing. Later on, I'll add to my fruit trees. Not so much an explicit prep, but I'm building skills. Lately I've even been having trouble getting weeds to grow, so maybe I can improve.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Try the us coast guard approved water packets. They store really well in bags. I have a few I can give you to try out. Gonna be seeing indyJohn this week anyways.
    i use them in all my caches too.

I don't recognize your user name Triggertime. Do you have a shop or online store ? I have considered the water packets but wondered if they are worth the cost as compared to just rotating out my water and using things like hydration pack inserts.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Have made 6 large candles out of beeswax and mop head strands for wicks. Beeswax is from local beekeeper.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Have made 6 large candles out of beeswax and mop head strands for wicks. Beeswax is from local beekeeper.
    Oh.... that's a good idea for me to keep in mind. I'm getting bees in April and I was just about to throw out an old mophead from my office.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Hey, you mention bees, I'm looking to get into some bees eventually, and I found a hive system where you basically turn a valve and the honey drains out. Don't have to stress the bees or upset the neighbors. Their website shows preorders with delivery scheduled for April.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Hey, you mention bees, I'm looking to get into some bees eventually, and I found a hive system where you basically turn a valve and the honey drains out. Don't have to stress the bees or upset the neighbors. Their website shows preorders with delivery scheduled for April.

I'm not even a beekeeper yet, so definitely no expertise here.

But I've seen experienced beekeepers discuss this and they aren't too impressed. They had several reasons, some of which I can't remember. One downside was that you don't get the beeswax. Another was that it would remove too much honey. You might cruise some beekeeping forums before you order that.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, it's definitely going to be a while before I do anything. There should be a good bit of experience accessible by then from other lab rats. I just find it fascinating as an engineering geek.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I kept bees for almost 20 years, until the bad winter a couple years ago. I plan to try to set up a "bait hive" this spring to try to get wild colony rather than buy a package from an apiary.

I started out with bees doing the (at the time) current, modern methods, but over time and with experience, I went more old-school with my bees and had a much better result.

The Practical Beekeeper, Beekeeping Naturally, Bush Bees, by Michael Bush

That web-site is a very good source of information.

Below is a picture of a wild black queen from one of my last colonies.

BigBlackQueen.jpg

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    My local beekeeper has obtained his from people wanting them removed from their property. My question is, has anyone here ever bought the ones that Rural King offers online? If so, were they good producer? Many die off during shipment? Any pros or cons you wouldn't mind sharing?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's been quite some years since I bought a "package colony". Mine came from Hardaman's Apiaries, in Georgia and were sent USPS.

I never had a package that had many dead bees, though I've heard it can happen. I always had good results, and package bees will generally build up quickly if you take care of them.

The only thing I found was that the feral bees that I got from swarms I removed seemed to survive the winters better and seemed more resistant to mites (I didn't treat my bees with any medicines for the last 8 years that I had them). But, I wouldn't be at all afraid to get a package from Rural King, and I may do that next season if I can't get a swarm this year.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    My local beekeeper has obtained his from people wanting them removed from their property. My question is, has anyone here ever bought the ones that Rural King offers online? If so, were they good producer? Many die off during shipment? Any pros or cons you wouldn't mind sharing?

I think catching a wild swarm sounds like a great plan, but I've never taken the time to educate myself. I'm finally getting bees because my husband gave them to me as a birthday present. He bought the hive and ordered the bees from Indy Bee Supply, and he is to pick the bees up from them in April. He has a bit of experience tending bees, because one of his high school friends had bees. They were apparently there to discourage people from going near the "plant collection" that his friend had. :dunno:

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    "Plant Collection"???, hmmm. Maybe I know ur husband and his HS friends :)
    I might check into Indy Bee Supply. I'm thinking of dabbing into bee keeping. It seems the reward is worth the effort.
    BBJ, Thanks for the link

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Seed Vault sale: Patriot Pantry Survival Seed Vault - Sport.Woot

The Survival Seed Vault contains only the highest quality heirloom vegetable survival seeds. These Patriot Seeds are 100% Non-GMO, open-pollinated and placed in specially sealed packets allowing for long term storage.

20 varieties of hardy heirloom survival seeds passed down from our forefathers
    Survival seeds rated for 5+ years of storage at 75F, longer at lower temperatures
    No hybrids, GMOs, or outdated survival seeds
    All harvested seeds are reusable
    Each seed bank is hand-inspected and packed by American staff to ensure quality
    Includes detailed survival seed saving guide
    Included Seeds:

Blue Lake Bush Bean - over 150 heirloom seeds
    California Wonder Bell Pepper - over 70 heirloom seeds
    Marketmore Cucumber - over 150 heirloom seeds
    Scarlet Nantes Carrot - over 800 heirloom seeds
    Parris Island Cos Romaine Lettuce - over 900 seeds
    Golden Acre Cabbage - over 530 heirloom seeds
    Detroit Dark Red Beet - over 260 heirloom seeds
    Lincoln Shell Sweet Pea - over 100 heirloom seeds
    Black Turtle Bean - over 70 heirloom seeds
    Beefsteak Tomato - over 180 heirloom seeds