• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I hope while everyone is being proactive on preps don't forget.......

Your PETS!

I'm buying 2-44lb bags tomorrow. Nice thing is the brand I feed them is not a lined sealed paper bag, it's a heavy duty mylar style bag that will keep its freshness for a while.

I was actually gonna come and mention this. I believe a big portion probably doesn't even give that any thought.

The food for the pets would probably last a decent amount of time with what I normally keep on hand(30 days or so) not even thinking about the prep aspect of it. This weekend I did buy another bag of dog and cat food, and they will be sustained for at least 60 days at this point.

Don't forget about those furry family members!

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Being that I work in healthcare, I purchased 20lbs of rice, some lard, some corned beef and hash, 3lbs of bacon, and bulk goods to last for a two week mandatory shelter in place should my workplace get exposed and I am told to self monitor. This is in addition to my two month prep (creatine to aid in rapid hydration, protein powders, sugar, bottled water etc.
    As with any flu-like illness, hydration is important as well as having calorically dense food that isn't going to upset the stomach.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    OK. This might be a little overstating it, but...

ZV6Jy1B.jpg

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I hope while everyone is being proactive on preps don't forget.......

Your PETS!

I'm buying 2-44lb bags tomorrow. Nice thing is the brand I feed them is not a lined sealed paper bag, it's a heavy duty mylar style bag that will keep its freshness for a while.

Told the wife she better good food for the cat and dog, because. "As soon as their food runs out, they ARE the food" she went out and got a couple months supply. Haha she knew I was serious. I have no attachment to the cat, and the dog serves no purpose outside of looking cute. Shes a good companion when fishing at parks. Ha

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Everyone is hoarding bleach. I went to Costco yesterday and it was peculiar to watch everyone scan everyone's carts almost seemingly waiting to panic buy.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Have a BIL in Nevada. He said he went to Sam's (or equivalent) and they were all but out of TP, hand sanitizer and a few other like minded items. I have no idea if he preps, but I doubt he does. He was just complaining to my wife about it.

She is sorry that we gave so much of the TP hoard to the oldest when she moved into her new place.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Had a conversation with a close friend who conceal carries everywhere he goes, about prepping for a worse case scenario.

I asked if him if he was stocking up on some food stuffs and a few other items to get by for at least 2weeks if the SHTF. He replies with a really snarky WHY?

I quickly reply by asking why he's carrying that S&W on his hip?

He replies, to protect myself and family if needed.

I calmly reply and walked away, don't you think you need to protect you and your family in-case this happens to spiral out of control and food shortages happen to where the distribution system is effected or quarantining is enacted to where you have supply problems for 2+ weeks.

I got a got a cell call about 2 hours later, said he had just left the store and had received a call from his ex brother-in-law in Washington state, and told him :poop: is getting real there with stores starting to really get picked over out there.

NOTHING and I mean NOTHING beats being proactive, because reactive on a lot of things means you're already late to the party and there's nothing left for you except to sit in the corner and pout and cry like a little baby muttering WHY?

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Packed stuff in Mylar for first time. Really neat using the vacuum sealer on it. (Cut strips of vacuum sealer bags let’s it work).

Feeling silly for stocking up some extra on our essentials. Feeling irritated I did not get the 50 lbs white rice when I had it on the list (prefer brown).

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    White rice is much better than brown for long-term storage. Brown contains oils and oils don't store as well.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    With shortages of masks, even "surgical masks", has anyone looked at or actually crafted their own?

MASH used fabric masks. Modern day masks are a "non-woven melt blown" material... like polypro? Toss a square inside regular fabric with ties and call it close enough?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    With shortages of masks, even "surgical masks", has anyone looked at or actually crafted their own?

MASH used fabric masks. Modern day masks are a "non-woven melt blown" material... like polypro? Toss a square inside regular fabric with ties and call it close enough?

If YOU are contagious a cloth mask might help others. Those surgical masks were to keep the doctors' oral germs away from the patient as they worked and talked. IANADoc but I dont think they would have necessarily been protected from a viral patient who was coughing up sputum. (havent used that $5 word in a while :): ) I could be wrong though.

ANd my understanding is for Mu Shu Flu, masks are useless because you are more likely to get it on your hands and touch your face than inhale somebody's cough particulates.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was created in the 70's and born in the 80's. I didn't have a bicycle helmet on as a child, and my older brother shot me with a red ryder bb gun at the first opportunity he had. I've been licking every handrail in sight and refuse to wash my hands anymore out of protest on principle. I'm more prepared than 99% of the population out there and I still don't get why everyone is loosing their minds on the coronavirus. If I were in a third world country without access to any for of meds, for one I wouldn't know it was coming and secondly if I did I would be concerned. Here stateside, we're going to get through this without any big issues. A year from now we'll all look back at this and just shake our heads.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    If I were in a third world country without access to any for of meds, for one I wouldn't know it was coming and secondly if I did I would be concerned. Here stateside, we're going to get through this without any big issues. .

My concern is that China makes most of our meds. China is shut down. No meds coming in. add medical staffing issues w a 2 week (or longer) separation period and medical centers can have problems.

Turns out there are 2 variants so far. Reports are not distinguishing between them. Even folks at here at work go “that is too complicated. “ head in the sand.

Ah well. At least most folks seem to be able to wipe their a$$. (How many hand wash after????)

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    FYI- Both China and India have shut down important medicine exports. India makes a lot of our generic meds: like several antibiotics, such as tinidazole and erythromycin, acetaminophen, the hormone progesterone and vitamin B12.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you're not in MOP 4 you're screwed in the presence of biological agents. Wear a surgical mask if it makes you feel better...it won't help.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    World economy. Sucks. We got what we asked for.

This is an oportunity to break the hold China has on us for medications and other things.

This is what globalists wanted. You need to diversify production locations, particularly to non-hostile nations. Long-term, I expect this to result in a lot of production being location-diversified and a good percentage of it being pulled back to the US and/or closer/friendlier nations.

Top Bottom