What grand adventures did you not take that you wish you had?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Two regrets in a more general sense that they weren't concrete "grand adventures" but merely *potential* grand adventures:

1. doing more in the outdoors with my father before he passed away. Before my father got married, he was a mountain climber and traveled to Peru to climb some of the peaks in the Cordillera Blanca (he also went climbing in the US and Canadian Rocky Mountains). I remember as a kid growing up on the occasional weekend evening my dad would get out the slide projector and go through some of his Peru photos. It was intriguing to hear his adventures climbing mountains with mysterious names like Huascarán, Chopicalqui, Pisco, etc. He climbed with a group called the Iowa Mountaineers, a pretty unlikely location for a mountain climbing club. I regret not asking to go on adventures like that with him (although I did climb part way up the Matterhorn with him to the Hörnli hut; I vividly remember being scared out of my mind by the steepness of the slopes and, if I remember correctly, essentially making the hike in sneakers; I was 16 at the time and I'm sure my Dad thought it nothing more than a stroll in mountain meadows). Some of his climbing gear still sits in my Mom's basement along with a bunch of Iowa Mountaineers club newsletters. I put his ice ax with him in his coffin.
    2. spending time in the summer with my aunt (one of my Mom's 10 siblings) and uncle in Iowa. My aunt and uncle did not have children and when we went to visit my Mom's family in Iowa we always stayed with this particular aunt and uncle. My uncle was an avid outdoorsman: duck/goose hunting, fishing, etc. I remember the basement of his modest house being filled with duck and goose decoys and a camouflaged duck hunting boat. A small fishing boat was always in his one-car garage and an outboard invariably in the testing tank being tinkered with. If we were visiting in the summer, he would always take me fishing on the Mississippi River for catfish (nothing better than fresh catfish!). He also had a houseboat on the river where we would spend long, lazy days messing around on inner tubes, skiing behind the fishing boat, going fishing, etc. My aunt and uncle weren't rich in money, but they were rich in knowing how to enjoy life. They always wanted me to come visit them and spend a summer. I never did. My uncle died in his 50s of a heart attack while I was in college. I have always regretted never spending a summer with my aunt and uncle; a "grand adventure" it would probably would have been, but in a location that most folks would consider anything but. My uncle always called me "Laddy Buck". He died too young.

Damn it, both of those made me tear up a little writing about them...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I graduated college in 1990. Spent June & July unemployed and looking for work and direction.

So lots of free time, some cash in the bank, and Pink Floyd announces they will perform "the Wall" live at the (just came down) Berlin Wall. I got as far as calling about plane tickets before I talked myself out of it. Would have been epic.

I understand your retrospective disappoint over missing the Berlin Wall performance, but I have to point out that it wasn't Pink Floyd as such performing for that occasion, but instead Roger Waters and a supporting act of other artists (Cindy Lauper, Brian Adams, The Scorpions, Sinnead O'Connor, etc.), and (yeah, I'm a purist) it was a pretty pale performance because obviously Dave Gilmour, Nick Mason, and Rick Wright were on less than friendly terms with Roger Waters at that time, and were thus absent.
    The performance certainly wasn't anywhere near as good as February 28, 1980 at Nassau Coliseum, so you didn't really miss much, although the entire thing was video and audio recorded and officially released.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I understand your retrospective disappoint over missing the Berlin Wall performance, but I have to point out that it wasn't Pink Floyd as such performing for that occasion, but instead Roger Waters and a supporting act of other artists (Cindy Lauper, Brian Adams, The Scorpions, Sinnead O'Connor, etc.), and (yeah, I'm a purist) it was a pretty pale performance because obviously Dave Gilmour, Nick Mason, and Rick Wright were on less than friendly terms with Roger Waters at that time, and were thus absent.
    The performance certainly wasn't anywhere near as good as February 28, 1980 at Nassau Coliseum, so you didn't really miss much, although the entire thing was video and audio recorded and officially released.

Still would have been cool (kicks dirt and slouches away).

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Still would have been cool (kicks dirt and slouches away).

Hey, I was forced to miss the other three members of Pink Floyd (yes, as Pink Floyd) in 1987, when they came to Indy for the first time ever.
    The reason?
    I was at Great Lakes (aka "Great Mistakes") in boot camp.
    I'm happy to say that I didn't miss them when the came back in 1994, though!
    I've got the recordings of both times that they came to Indy, though. ;)

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I spent the majority of my 20s and early 30s not doing something that I love to do. Just the past few years I've been able to do it with the wife's blessing and encouragement. I feel like there was so much wasted time.

Jason

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I entered adulthood as a homeless teen. The self promise in my internal dialog was to not lay on a death bed having regrets for not trying things. Success or failure, at least trying would be acceptable. I have tried many things. I would probably have been a more successful suburbanite drone if I had played it safe, but that would not fulfill my objectives. Until the heart attacks, any hinderance in that plan came with a skirt. Health has become a very real obstacle at this point in life. Genetics can be a powerful enemy. Don't delay your adventures.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Spending my thirties researching and finally accepting the fact that God did, it seem, exist....And then spending my early forties researching whether Jesus of Nazareth was who He said He was before finally coming to the conclusion that He was who He said He was...Then accepting the fact that the historical evidence points to Him being raised from the dead........And then taking another five years (after accepting that He is in fact living) to finally let Him in.....

I should have just listened to my Sunday school teacher from the get go....

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Spent twenties, thirties, and forties working and raising kids, so I'm sure there were opportunities missed. Now in my 60s and still working, but I'm proud of the sons I raised.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Handshake in space... ride up in a commie space ship and come home in an American one. Dam Senator had to get in trouble and screw the whole thing up.

1984 was an interesting year.

Top Bottom