What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acd1010

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Coatesville
    I worked on the Point 1 Tactics Drill and realized I need a lot more work. It is a fun drill, but I am not good at it right now. I make it a part of the routine when I go to the range.

Attachments

• P1T-PISTOL-COLD-STANDARD-FINAL.pdf
      134.9 KB · Views: 5

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I ate my vegetables today. Neither shooting partner nor my fiance were able to join and I told myself that the next time i found myself alone on a range visit, I was going to do an entire practice Strong Hand Only. It is a skill that i believe is important, and even relatively likely to be used in the world, but is often neglected. Especially by me.

So over the week i came up with the drills/tests i wanted to do and every draw and subsequent shot was done with my strong hand. I held a light in the other to keep busy.

For a cold drill i decided to do what i refer to as a Roll the Dice No Fail drill. Like a No Fail drill, it is 10 single shot draws to the black of a b8 but rather than doing them all at 25, i use a random number generator to give me 10 numbers between 3-25. These 10 numbers are the different yardages that i use. For a par, i thought of the HiT'S two seconds or less where i like to get a sho draw to the black at 5 yards. so i took that and extrapolated it. The math works out to 1.5 base draw with a tenth per yard added to make your par. So for instance, at 11 yards you get 1.5 for the base draw and 1.1 seconds to work the trigger etc..for a par of 2.6. At 25 yards it would be 1.5 base plus 2.5 to work the trigger for a 4 second par (a half second more than the regular freestyle version of the no fail drill).

My dice roll was not very forgiving. Ouch..

Rep #. distance(goal) -actual time(hit/miss)

1. 17 yards (3.2) - 3.71(miss) 2. 19 yards (3.4) - 2.86 (miss)
    3. 17 yards (3.2) - 2.51 (miss) 4. 20 yards (3.5) - 2.44 (hit)
    5. 21 yards (3.6) - 2.71 (hit) 6. 24 yards (3.9) 2.56 (miss)
    7. 23 yards (3.8) - 2.64 (hit) 8. 6 yards (2.1) - 1.88 (hit)
    9. 20 yards (3.5) - 2.64 (hit) 10. 8 yards (2.2) - 2.03 (hit)

6/10 - Fail but i did realize that the times are achievable and worth persuing. I would like to close the gap on the cold shots and also not make them misses, obviously. They were pretty wide for my comfort level.

Next i loaded up 12/6/16 for a run of the Gabe White standards but SHO. I used his traditional scoring for concealment (-.25 per draw).

Bill 1 - 4.86 -1 (4.86 corrected, with a 2.16 draw and splits between .51-.58)
    Bill 2 - 4.63 (4.38 corrected, with a 2.16 draw and .47-.56 splits)

F2S 1 - 3.22 (2.97 corrected, 1.87 draw and .62 and .73 splits)
    F2S 2 - 3.30 (3.05 corrected, 1.8 draw and .71 and .79 splits)

IC 1 - 2.89 (2.64 corrected, 2.05 draw and .84 split)
    IC 2 - 2.65 (2.40 corrected, 1.87 draw and .78 split)

SB1 5.67 -2 (5.92 corrected, 2.10 draw and .57-.64 body splits, .71 and 1.05 head split)
    SB2 5.48 (5.23 corrected, 2.21 draw, .51-.57 body splits, and .87 and .78 head split)

Dark pin for the ic (almost with the f2s) but the rest were not close. Interesting how much you lose when that support hand goes away. I noted that all draws with the exception of the final, were under the 2.2 par from the previous no fail standard. I like that.

My final recorded test for the SHO day of mayhem, the lapd swat qual. I didn't know what to expect insofar as time etc..so i just ran it and decided to let the timer be a witness and compare it to the HiT'S version (8" and 3x5 scored hit/miss).

25 yards (d2 to the 8", 4 second par)
    1. 5.31 -1 (3.48 draw)
    2. 3.97 (2.51 draw ) right in the center of the card/8". Proud of that! Now i just need to do it consistently!

3. 3.38 -2 (2.15 draw)

15 yards (d2 to the 8", 3 second par)
    1. 3.77 -1 (2.89 draw)
    2. 2.87 -1 (2.04 draw)
    3. 3.04 clean (1.99 draw)

10 yards (d2 8" then 1 3x5 in 3.5)
    1. 3.56 -1 (2.12 draw)
    2. 3.45 clean (1.9 draw)

7 yards (d2 8" then 1 3x5 in 3)
    1. 3.33 clean (2.03 draw)
    2. 3.33 clean (1.87 draw)

5 yards (d2 8" then 1 3x5 in 2.5)
    1. 2.82 clean (1.77 draw)
    2. 3.2 -1 (1.86 fauled draw, hurried and lost it)

3 yards (d2 8" then 1 3x5 in 2)
    1. 2.42 clean (1.59 draw)
    2. 2.48 -1 (1.65 draw)

27/36. Not 90 percent for sure but a decent baseline. I think for me, i could add a half second to the freestyle pars and that would be a worthy goal for 90%. I noted that all the draws were in the no fail standard from above.

I finished with a sweet 16 run. I started at 7 yards and shot clean to 14, where i had 2 misses, then a miss again at 16 and a miss on the final shot at 19 for a score of 18 for the final hit. I remember the day when i used to strive for that freestyle, so i'm pretty happy. I can get to about 30 yards or so with a dot, freestyle.

I learned a lot today. For one, i should have more confidence than i did going in as it was not a total disaster. I found that for my grip, i got best results with a tucked (as opposed to flagged) thumb. I also didn't get much anticipation and i attribute that to less pinky tension but rather using my middle and ring fingers mostly. That makes me want to run a g26 and see what i get for results. Overall a much better day than i expected. I will try and get in a SHO session once a month going forward. I think it is worthwhile and i can see it paying dividends.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I ate my vegetables today. Neither shooting partner nor my fiance were able to join and I told myself that the next time i found myself alone on a range visit, I was going to do an entire practice Strong Hand Only. It is a skill that i believe is important, and even relatively likely to be used in the world, but is often neglected. Especially by me.

So over the week i came up with the drills/tests i wanted to do and every draw and subsequent shot was done with my strong hand. I held a light in the other to keep busy.

For a cold drill i decided to do what i refer to as a Roll the Dice No Fail drill. Like a No Fail drill, it is 10 single shot draws to the black of a b8 but rather than doing them all at 25, i use a random number generator to give me 10 numbers between 3-25. These 10 numbers are the different yardages that i use. For a par, i thought of the HiT'S two seconds or less where i like to get a sho draw to the black at 5 yards. so i took that and extrapolated it. The math works out to 1.5 base draw with a tenth per yard added to make your par. So for instance, at 11 yards you get 1.5 for the base draw and 1.1 seconds to work the trigger etc..for a par of 2.6. At 25 yards it would be 1.5 base plus 2.5 to work the trigger for a 4 second par (a half second more than the regular freestyle version of the no fail drill).

My dice roll was not very forgiving. Ouch..
    Tough session. I do some one hand work every session, but have never done that much at one time. 2 of the 4 IDPA club matches I shoot at always have some 1 handed shooting. Yesterday it was a whole stage while kneeling. That being said, what you got going on there would make for a lot of crying.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Tough session. I do some one hand work every session, but have never done that much at one time. 2 of the 4 IDPA club matches I shoot at always have some 1 handed shooting. Yesterday it was a whole stage while kneeling. That being said, what you got going on there would make for a lot of crying.
    It's been a long time coming. I've always said i need to do more sho work but never actually did. I finally ran out of excuses haha. It wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be. But don't get me started on support hand! No thank you!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    No match this past weekend so at Fridays practice session I just had a little fun and ran a bunch of drills. I came across a new one that was fun. Making the times was not much of a problem, but making them and shooting it clean was a challenge.

My fourth run was the best at a clean 8.87.
    My strings were a rough average of 2.5 for the 25 yard string, 2.0 for the 15, 2.5 for the failure drill at 7 and 2.0 for the 5 yard string.

1000000946.jpg

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Broke out my S&W Model 10 this am for some range therapy. Both 6 round groups DA only Tightest group deliberate 5 yards. Head target was LAPD SWAT standard of .50 seconds at 7 yards.

If I had to go down to 1 handgun it would be a S&W K frame in 38 Special!

Attachments

• IMG_6758.jpeg
      IMG_6758.jpeg
      367.7 KB · Views: 2
    • IMG_6757.jpeg
      IMG_6757.jpeg
      443.6 KB · Views: 2

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Due to lack of practice in the last month, i did a basic day of draws and reloads on a TA mini dap with a swinger. I alternated between single shot draws, pairs, failure drills (using the swinger as my upper transition), and reloads as the cylinder ran out. I did this at 7 and 25 mostly. Boy i am just not good at using a speedloader( 3.5-4.5 reloads). Prior to putting the pistols away, i did venture to the 50 yard line for a single draw and was able to hit a 1.97(my general goal is to strive for 2 or less).

We then pulled out the rifles. Shooting buddy got an lwrci so i gave it a whirl. He claimed it was super smooth etc.. but i did not see it. Maybe if i shot it next to a di gun? Hand guard was slick (in a slippery way rather than cool). I hated the stock, the toe did not tuck into my shoulder pocket but rather wanted to slip high and over it. He had a hawke 1-something that had no illum and was not in a good location for me. All this left me glad i stuck with bcm and rainier middy's for my rifles. I may try an adm 13.9 next, as the one positive of the lwrci was the ambi controls (it was nice using my firing hand to push the bolt catch and lock the bolt open without switching hands). I then ran a few single and doubles with the 15/22 and called it good.

A cool guy i've met there prior, asked if we wanted to shoot his desert eagle and 300blk with a can, so we did. Had a nice long convo and called it good. I may be on a short buying frenzy in a month or so when bonuses are released. If so i'm sure that will motivate me to get out and shoot more often.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shot 5 or 10 out of my G20 the past couple of weeks testing reloads with new powders and stuff. And I have a 30 round magazine I bought for that just to round up an order to the free shipping point.

I've been doing drills with my FN 510 about every other day for quite a while now and still was really looking at this 20 as my EDC.

So today I decided it needed cleaned any way and I'd NEVER shot any using that mega mag, I'll just do my normal drills I've been practicing with the 510...

OMG! These guns are night and day different. After serious use of this FN makes that glock feel and shoot like an old Davis Industries Ravenette or something! I've got used to using the shot timer on every drill, if I'm hurrying or not, just to KNOW not guess at what feels right/better. That Glock was clumsy and SLOW in every aspect.

Then for the cheap generic magazine. Just about wanted to throw that away after 10 rounds. Then I remembered the 3-400 rounds I've been loading over and over for the FN are .010 shorter. Filled the mag back up with those and it ran those through like water. Soon as it hit the longer ones, they may as well have been bricks.

So I took all those out and put them in a couple of Glock brand 15 round mags for the G20 and they functioned flawlessly. There is something good to know.

Cleaned up the G20 loaded the mags, put it all in it's box and back in the safe. Here by demoted from EDC, replaced by the FN510 Tactical with out a second thought. It is like upgrading from a Cobalt to a Cadillac.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I finally broke down and snagged a 365xl. I already had a wilson module from when i wanted to try it on a friend's last year and ended up just buying the gun from him when he wanted to switch back to glocks.

I've never ran anything smaller than a 19 for any extended period of time, other than j frames. This should be a fun challenge. Mounted an eps carry (green, another first for me. Previously only ran red dots but they only had the eps in green at the shop) today and should zero and put a few hundred rounds thru it on sunday.

There is no denying the ease of concealment. Also the added effort in drawing, though i'm sure the difference will be negligible on the timer. I had mag pouches already (beretta mag pouches fit great!). Running a darkstar gear apollo. Seems like a decent rig.

I'll eventually try other modules (macro, cut macro, maybe if i'm feeling rich a boresight). But the wilson module seems to point naturally (the factory sig module i find to index low). If i shoot it to standard then i may not mess with the macro at all.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I finally broke down and snagged a 365xl. I already had a wilson module from when i wanted to try it on a friend's last year and ended up just buying the gun from him when he wanted to switch back to glocks.

I've never ran anything smaller than a 19 for any extended period of time, other than j frames. This should be a fun challenge. Mounted an eps carry (green, another first for me. Previously only ran red dots but they only had the eps in green at the shop) today and should zero and put a few hundred rounds thru it on sunday.

There is no denying the ease of concealment. Also the added effort in drawing, though i'm sure the difference will be negligible on the timer. I had mag pouches already (beretta mag pouches fit great!). Running a darkstar gear apollo. Seems like a decent rig.

I'll eventually try other modules (macro, cut macro, maybe if i'm feeling rich a boresight). But the wilson module seems to point naturally (the factory sig module i find to index low). If i shoot it to standard then i may not mess with the macro at all.
    So I am considering going back to the XL from the Macro. I give up quite a bit of concealment and only gain a barely measurable amount of performance. The biggest difference for me isn't even objective, it is just that the full size grip feels better in my hand.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ran some fun challenging stuff tonight. I started with the Old Bakersfield Qual. I hadn't shot it in a while and Lee Weems just put out a new podcast on it.

More info here.

I did what you are encouraged not to do and ran it as a practice session going through it 10 times using my IDPA gear. Out of the 10 runs I only shot a 100 3 times. Fortunately I did though never have a wild shot or score below a 98.

Stage 1) 2 shots from the draw at 10 feet in 1.5 seconds. I averaged a 1.25 on this and was trying for a 1 second. That is why this was one of the stages where I occasionally dropped a point. Best time was a 1.07.

Stage 2)draw, 2 shots at 20 feet in 2 seconds. This one is fairly comfortable. I averaged about 1.7 on this stage and didn't drop any.

Stage 3) Draw shoot 2, emergency reload shoot 2 from 30 feet in 6 seconds. This one is also not bad. I averaged 4.75 on it.

Stage 4) Draw and shoot 2 at 60 feet in 3.5. This was the other area I dropped a few. Usually it was because I was rushing too much. 3.5 is a lot of time and I averaged less than 2.5. On stages I was a little more careful to press the trigger I was around 3.

After that I did a bunch of runs at my version of fixed time standards. 6 seconds is the time. 3 targets 2 shots on each at each distance. 10 yards WHO, 20 yards SHO, 30 yards FS. This is a great shot calling drill in addition to its other benefits. You do have to use a lot of pasters to keep yourself honest though. The 20 yard SHO stage is by far the most difficult for me.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    So I am considering going back to the XL from the Macro. I give up quite a bit of concealment and only gain a barely measurable amount of performance. The biggest difference for me isn't even objective, it is just that the full size grip feels better in my hand.
    Have you tried cutting a macro to xl length? Seems like a nice intermediate solution. I am too cheap to grab a boresight version, but i saw they offer this. I imagine I'll perform well enough that i may not even bother though.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Have you tried cutting a macro to xl length? Seems like a nice intermediate solution. I am too cheap to grab a boresight version, but i saw they offer this. I imagine I'll perform well enough that i may not even bother though.
    I have not tried that. As you know some seem to think it makes quite the difference. I guess I could try.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Mixed feelings as i analyze the trip today. I knew going in it would be harder to meet performance expectations, and require more effort. In some ways i was surprised and some ways got what i expected.

The recoil was not unpleasant and it tracked pretty well. I found my support hand had so little purchase that it was slipping fairly frequently (something i hadn't experienced in well over a decade). I found it quite difficult to be precise at distance. I generally shoot a glock relatively well at 25 and this felt like the b8 had a bullet deflector on it. I was very slow drawing at first and as the day went i made tweaks to the holster and whatnot and also picked up familiarity through repitition. After 250 rounds of various fmj and a box of 147 hst, i will need to continue for another case or so before deciding what i want to do. I'll likely try a cut down macro at some point though.

On to the performance.

After a rough zero ( another tail in itself) , i ran a lukewarm Bakersfield. 96, with all four points lost due to being overtime on the first two strings, while working out the draw of such a small gun and unfamiliar holster setup.

Next was an advanced supertest with a resultant 288. I've certainly shot worse with bigger guns.

A run of Gabes tests resulted in a single c and an aggregate of 20.51. Once i get the draw refined this should improve a fair bit.

Three FAST's were a clean and consistent 6.16 and 6.17 followed by a disaster run 9..20 when i fumbled the reload after a missed head shot.

To round out my standard tests, i did the modified lapd swat qual. Were i shooting hit or miss it would be an 88%. By the rings ofr score a 299/360 (3 misses at 25 and a head miss at 5 were worth a whopping 40 points of the top). But from 15 and in it was easier than expected.

The rest of the time was spent tweaking the draw, some single handed shooting, and randomized excercises.

I think it is adequate but don't know if i will accept it as such...more ammo needed.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Mixed feelings as i analyze the trip today. I knew going in it would be harder to meet performance expectations, and require more effort. In some ways i was surprised and some ways got what i expected.

The recoil was not unpleasant and it tracked pretty well. I found my support hand had so little purchase that it was slipping fairly frequently (something i hadn't experienced in well over a decade). I found it quite difficult to be precise at distance. I generally shoot a glock relatively well at 25 and this felt like the b8 had a bullet deflector on it. I was very slow drawing at first and as the day went i made tweaks to the holster and whatnot and also picked up familiarity through repitition. After 250 rounds of various fmj and a box of 147 hst, i will need to continue for another case or so before deciding what i want to do. I'll likely try a cut down macro at some point though.

On to the performance.

After a rough zero ( another tail in itself) , i ran a lukewarm Bakersfield. 96, with all four points lost due to being overtime on the first two strings, while working out the draw of such a small gun and unfamiliar holster setup.

Next was an advanced supertest with a resultant 288. I've certainly shot worse with bigger guns.

A run of Gabes tests resulted in a single c and an aggregate of 20.51. Once i get the draw refined this should improve a fair bit.

Three FAST's were a clean and consistent 6.16 and 6.17 followed by a disaster run 9..20 when i fumbled the reload after a missed head shot.

To round out my standard tests, i did the modified lapd swat qual. Were i shooting hit or miss it would be an 88%. By the rings ofr score a 299/360 (3 misses at 25 and a head miss at 5 were worth a whopping 40 points of the top). But from 15 and in it was easier than expected.

The rest of the time was spent tweaking the draw, some single handed shooting, and randomized excercises.

I think it is adequate but don't know if i will accept it as such...more ammo needed.
    Oh yeah... the mags suck to load and the slide gets abnormally hot as compared to bigger guns. I was getting burnt indexing my finger. I'm going to need a mag loader lula thing at this point. Ooof

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    1000001006.jpg
    Received the calculated kinetics optics plate yesterday and installed it with an SRO I had laying around. First thing I noticed was that this gun indexes different than my Sigs. Slightly high and right. Obviously my hand is gripping a little differently. I zeroed at 10 and 25. After not getting great results at 25 I moved back to ten to try trigger control at speed.

1000001005.jpg
    Can't complain about that for mashing the trigger at full speed.

Didn't have much time so I ran the TPC Hanmer
    time drill. The gun returned to zero very well. Looking forward to getting a good holster and working some more with this gun.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Well my inner gear whore won and i snagged a boresight solutions macro module with razorback that is chopped to xl length. Seems to help it index higher and feels pretty decent overall. Tomorrow we'll do it live. I also picked up two snubs friday, so i'll start vetting a k6xs and 442UC. Planning on two trips to the range this weekend to space it out.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    1000001024.jpg
    150 rounds. I didn't get one clean on time run. String 2 was eating my lunch. I never made time on it. String 1 is quite doable, string 4 I got almost every time and 3 is not bad if you don't fumble the reload. This drill really tests all of you stand and deliver skills.

Top Bottom