• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Ok its a long story but to make it short I am going to buy my dad a Rossi lever action for christmas. It will be for deer hunting but my question is should I go with 45colt or 44 magnum. I was thinking 44 just to make it easier to find ammo. Any input would be awesome!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I was thinking 44 just to make it easier to find ammo.

^^^This is a wise choice. Especially if you do not reload.
    You will find a lot larger selection of ammo for your .44 Mag. than you will for the .45 Colt.
    Also for the most part the .45 Colt factory loads are low powered so that they will not blow up the old 1880's revolvers that were originally chambered for them.

Save your .44 brass--Never know when you will start reloading..

Good luck with your purchase..Bill.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    If you don't reload, then the 44 Magnum would be best by far. Handloaded 45 Colt are just as strong if not stronger with a larger bullet (.452 vs .429) if you handload. With rifle or Ruger only loads, the 45 Colt really shines.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Awesome. I really wanted to do an AR in a deer legal caliber but that seems a little out of reach. He had mentioned he wanted both but just couldn't get either. I thought atleast the rossi would be nice.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The Rossi in 44 Mag is a nice rifle. Especially if you do the upgrade polish on the action.

I have a 357 Mag Henry Big Boy with hex barrel. That thing is a blast to shoot with the recoil of a 22LR with 38 sp rounds.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    If dad is getting to the age where a scope is a high priority due to eyesight issues, you may want to look into a more scope friendly rifle. That's about the only downside to the Rossi.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    If dad is getting to the age where a scope is a high priority due to eyesight issues, you may want to look into a more scope friendly rifle. That's about the only downside to the Rossi.

That's the only thing that worried me. He is only 60 and still hunts with no scope but I would like to be able to mount one. I had thought about a henry since I heard they could take a scope. But they are just to pretty.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    l have some 45Colts that will keep up and surpass a 44 mag and leave a larger hole......

My Rossi M92 is chambered for .454 Casull, so it fires .45Colt no problem.
    I have some custom loaded 300gr jacketed hollow points that chronograph right at 1000fps.

I have knocked a deer off it's hooves with these rounds. Not typical, but it will happen.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    If it were me, .44 magnum would be the best all around pick. Shop around and you may be able to find a Marlin lever action, or a Ruger semi-auto carbine.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Henry came out with the Big Boy Steel this year I believe. Steel receiver instead of shinny brass. While the brass looks nice the mat finish on the steel would be more practical for hunting. And they come drilled and tapped for a scope mount if you'd want to scope it. I would definitely look at Henry over Rossi due to their reputation and Henrys are made in the USA, but the Henry will cost a little more. Worth it in my opinion but not everybody will agree.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    well I think I might go with the big boy. I found one I can get $700 out the door. seem more well built than most of the guns ive looked at and its only $200 more. thanks for the input! now I just hope it makes him a nice hunting rifle.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    .44 magnum. I really wish marlin would come up with a lever gun that could contain .454 casull or .460 or 500 smith magnums but until then i will be happy with my 44 mag marlin 1894.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    well I think I might go with the big boy. I found one I can get $700 out the door. seem more well built than most of the guns ive looked at and its only $200 more. thanks for the input! now I just hope it makes him a nice hunting rifle.

My 10 year old LOVE LOVE LOVES her .22 Henry.

The attention they give to a relatively inexpensive .22 lever action has to go further with a full size Big Boy.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My 10 year old LOVE LOVE LOVES her .22 Henry.

The attention they give to a relatively inexpensive .22 lever action has to go further with a full size Big Boy.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I bought a Henry .22Lr a couple of years ago and immediately fell in love.
    The action is smooth as butter.
    This year I won a Henry Frontier levr action .22WMR with the octagon barrel.
    I'm going to have to break down amd buy a Big Boy sooner or later...

Top Bottom