• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    My initial thought was that's a lot of firepower for very short range. If you're hungry and see a rabbit at 200 yards are you going to be able to take it if you can't sneak up on it and have to take a long shot? Are you going to be able to defend yourself from some SOB with mosin nagant that's 250 - 300 yards out? Just my thoughts.
    As far as 200 yard rabbits..... I've never seen one.....
    As for defending myself from 200 yard Mosin..... Either he hits me the first round.... or I go to cover and remove myself.....
    I'm not sure what scenario is going to have me "defending" myself at 200 yards at the onset of SHTF..... If I were defending a fixed position.... of course I would want long range....
    If I have to turn rabbit myself.... I want light, fast, firepower......

And truth be told..... There will be plenty of cats to eat....

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I think there's a lot of dead germans who would argue against that point.

Yes, dead Germans from pre-1945 that were mostly equipped with bolt-action rifles as well. The 91/30 packs quite a punch with the 7.62x54R and its rugged. However, its very long, about 5 1/2 feet with a bayonet, its stock is too short for those of us not wearing thick coats for a Russian winter, it's very cumbersome especially in close quarters, it's heavy, has limited ammunition capacity, and its slow rate of fire and slow reload times puts it at a disadvantage against a modern semi-auto rifle that accepts detachable magazines.

If one wants a rifle chambered for a full-powered cartridge, then there are better choices like the FN FAL, AR10, M14, M1 Garand, SVT40. I know the Mosin is a great buy for the price, but I think its better suited for some glass than use as a battle rifle.

It was great back in the day, but we're 65 years removed from WWII.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Anything that still has ammo in them after the three day zombie siege is over. All the rest will make good paper weights, door stops and other assorted wall decorations.

If it has ammo in it, we're good to go. If not, that's when S really HTF 'cuz gettin' up close and personal will get really messy, especially with those pesky urban zombies and I don't want no cross-contamination infection thing happening.

It would suck to be a zombie and then I would be on the wrong side of the fight.

Note to self: Buy more ammo !

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Anything that still has ammo in them after the three day zombie siege is over. All the rest will make good paper weights, door stops and other assorted wall decorations.

If it has ammo in it, we're good to go. If not, that's when S really HTF 'cuz gettin' up close and personal will get really messy, especially with those pesky urban zombies and I don't want no cross-contamination infection thing happening.

It would suck to be a zombie and then I would be on the wrong side of the fight.

Note to self: Buy more ammo !
    Im going with the mosin because of the zombies also i'm switching my secondary to the SKS

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Could all the guys that are saying the Mosin is their choice in rifles for SHTF please explain to me the pro's of choosing it over..well any other rifle?

I get it, they are cheap, fun to shoot, collectable because of all the variations and makes, and generally a good conversation piece. They were decent in the early 1900's when the opposition was also using outdated bolt action rifles (still not the best out there). Lets be serious here.

Lets say you take 20 military aged men. Lets assume that all 20 men have a working knowledge of squad patrolling tactics. 10 get mosins, 200 rnds of ammo, and 2.5 hours to learn the manual of arms for the rifle. The other 10 get Garands with the same ammo and time to learn the manual of arms. You set them on paths through the woods that will eventually run head on into each other. Neither team has knowledge of the other out there. All things equal, the 10 Garand shooters win 11 times out of 10. Suppressive fire, easier manipulation of the rifle, accuracy, etc give the Garand shooters the upper hand right off the bat.

While this is not completely applicable to SHTF because you will most likely be alone or with a small group to include your closest family and friends, the general concepts apply. Lets face it, a 200-250 dollar SKS is leagues better then a mosin in every category applicable to SHTF or any other combat situation.

I still maintain that a mosin is better then no rifle at all, but using it in lieu of any other semi automatic rifle (within the context of my argument) puts the user at an immediate disadvantage. During SHTF any disadvantage could be life threatening.

So as I said, please give me the pros of using a mosin in a situation that may require armed combat.

Last edited:

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    Given a choice I would take a Garand over a Mosin any day,in.fact a
    I would take a Garand over any Infantry rifle. Except perhaps the
    M14 the only rifle to equal the Garand in perfomance.
    That being said if a Mosin was all I had, then I would use it.
    There are dead wehrmact soilders from WWII, Dead U.S. Soilders from
    Korea & Vietnam. Who would disagree with you about the Mosin.
    As vets you and I both know it is not the weapon system that determines
    the out come, it is the man behind the trigger.
    As for your scenario, I honestly can't say. There are to many variables to
    consider. Such as, are any of the people combat vets, if so did any serve together,
    etc.
    Just my :twocents:
    God Bless

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    All my firearms are my SHTF firearms. In the order I'd grab them to bug out though:

.22 rifle
    .357 S&W K frame revolver
    870 12 gauge
    Ruger 7mm mag
    .454 revolver
    Blackpowder rifles

I know I need to add a semi auto rifle to my kit. That's on my list of to-do's.

Last edited:

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Given a choice I would take a Garand over a Mosin any day,in.fact a
    I would take a Garand over any Infantry rifle. Except perhaps the
    M14 the only rifle to equal the Garand in perfomance.
    That being said if a Mosin was all I had, then I would use it.
    There are dead wehrmact soilders from WWII, Dead U.S. Soilders from
    Korea & Vietnam. Who would disagree with you about the Mosin.
    As vets you and I both know it is not the weapon system that determines
    the out come, it is the man behind the trigger.
    As for your scenario, I honestly can't say. There are to many variables to
    consider. Such as, are any of the people combat vets, if so did any serve together,
    etc.
    Just my :twocents:
    God Bless

The Garand was/is a great battle rifle. It just feels nice in your hands and the recoil is that of a smaller caliber rifle. It was way ahead of its time and I love shooting them today. That said, I think the M14 and the M4 have a huge advantage with the use of a detachable, high capacity magazine. There are dead US soldiers that were killed with black powder muskets. There are dead soldiers that were killed with a Roman gladius. That doesn't make them a good choice for today.

As for my scenario, I said all things being equal. So if there is a combat vet on one side, there is one on the other. If there is a pair of combat vets that have worked together on one side there is a pair on the other.

You cant argue with facts and being in combat to many times to count, I can honestly say that. There is nothing that trumps a hard working, fearless, highly trained soldier. However, when matching up two average joes in a SHTF situation, any piece of hardware that gives one the advantage should be used to exploit the others shortcomings.

If you took an average Infantry soldier and cloned him, and then pitted him against himself with the only variable being one has an M4 with a combat load of ammo, and the other a late 1800's bolt action with a combat load of ammo, and ran the simulation 100 times, I would venture a guess that it would be a 30% kill rate for the one with the nagant. That is based on the fact that the one with the nagant is going to get the first look and first shot 50% (statistically) of the time. Im going to guess that he is going to miss 2 out of 3 times at distance with the less then average sights the mosin has and the general lack of accuracy that I and others have experienced. I am going to also say that the one with the mosin is at an extreme disadvantage after the first round is fired.

Listen, Im not saying that the mosin is a garbage rifle. It served its purpose as a battle rifle for much longer then it should have. It is a mass produced, cheap answer to the problem Russia was having in outfitting every soldier with gear enough to fight a war. Even Russia knew the nagant was past its time by WWII, but couldnt afford to mass produce anything else.

I am ranting here so I will end with this once again. The mosin is a fun, cheap shooter that carries a huge amount of history with it. It is simply outclassed in every category compared to a modern carbine or battle rifle. If that is all you have then by all means, get busy with it.

Mike

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    The nagant is still used today as a sniper rifle and a standard infantry rifle is the garand?

Are you actually arguing that the nagant is anywhere near the battle rifle that the garand was? Where is the Nagant used as a sniper rifle or standard infantry rifle today? I honestly dont know.

If the nagant is used as a standard issue rifle today, its because the country that is using it doesnt have the money to replace it with an existing rifle or the money to R&D their own replacement. It is not because it is a superior rifle. That is a FACT.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Are you actually arguing that the nagant is anywhere near the battle rifle that the garand was? Where is the Nagant used as a sniper rifle or standard infantry rifle today? I honestly dont know.

If the nagant is used as a standard issue rifle today, its because the country that is using it doesnt have the money to replace it with an existing rifle or the money to R&D their own replacement. It is not because it is a superior rifle. That is a FACT.
    They could have chose another rifle to use that is cheap. Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdGNW_4CTpk

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    The Russian Army (and Soviet Army respectively) got their butts kicked in Afghanistan and even worse in Chechnya. The war in Chechnya showed one of the most undisciplined modern armies in modern history. I

Neither war was a good showing for the Russian army in any way. However, that doesnt discount the fact that they are using it in some capacity. I wonder if it is as a designated marksman role?

I only skimmed through the video, but all I saw was the Russians and a bunch of third world gorilla groups using the rifle. Dont fool yourself. If those third world gorilla groups could get their dirty little hands on modern small arms technology, they wouldnt hesitate.

The fact that is still being used does nothing to the argument I am making. Do you think that the soldier holding that nagant is more effective then the same soldier using a M14 with a low powered scope as a designated marksman? Maybe not at 100-150 meters. Put the target out at 200-300 meters and I start to favor the M14. Past 300 and its not even a contest. Start adding multiple targets and it gets even worse for the nagant. My point is not that the nagant is a bad rifle, just that it is completely outclassed by some very cost effective rifles on the market today. We are not talking about what rifle is still in use today, but rifles we would use in a SHTF situation today.

Last edited:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    A "sniper" rifle doesn't do you a whole lot of good unless you possess a certain skillset. Regardless, it's still not much of a defensive weapon. What I saw in that video was a bunch of guys that were unable to get there hands on anything better. In many of the pictures the ragtag "militias" had a lot of mixing and matching with their weapons. Some had SVT40s, others had AKs or SKSs. Is this video proof that Mosins are still effective weapons against modern rifles, when all things are equal? In what ways does the Nagant outperform a .308 Remington 700 as a sniper rifle or a battle rifle?

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    ar 15, mini 14, glock 26 and glock 19 , couple 380s, and ruger pistol in 22lr suppressed with ruger 10/22 threaded for suppressor and as much as ammo as I can take with me ...a tank, a jeep , a helicopter, 40 year supply of food and dr quinn medicine woman in case i get sick

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Funny how the guy in green wants to down play a rifle used in uprisings. In a shtf situation any gun that goes boom will do just fine. The mosin is a great shtf weapon. Ambush will be the greatest assult tactic!

Top Bottom