• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok so I am looking for some containers that actually seal. For use in a cooler.
    Doesn't matter if I pack food for a day at the racetrack, or a 3 or 4 day camping trip, it seems like water always gets into my food. I have used double zip locked bags and then put that into rubbermaid containers and still water gets in. Even when I drain off the water as I add ice, I just can't win.
    So who makes the best water tight containers?
    Help me out here INGO

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Aloksack (sp?). On second thought, they'd get rather pensive as they're not really meant to be disposable. But a can swim with my cell phone in one!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Are you sure you are getting leakage and not condensation? If the contents of the bag that you are trying to keep dry are warm prior to being bagged up and cooled it will condense the moisture in the air and you will get liquid. Especially if bread is involved ( sandwiches). Bread has a lot of moisture.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Tried that, as the ice melts the ziplock leaks water and can still be a problem.

Do that plastic "waterproof" ammo cans atcually seal? Anyone know?

Have you tried half gallon and gallon milk jugs, frozen? Fill to about 4" from the top to allow for expansion as they freeze, then freeze them. I still use bagged ice, but the frozen jugs work pretty well, and no water in the cooler (until I start adding bagged ice). As an added benefit, as they melt, you have a good source of nice cold drinking water. I also do the double ziplock thing too and usually have pretty good luck if I keep that stuff on top of the ice and the drinks, condiments, anything in bottles or cans or jars really, go down in the bagged ice/water.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The Lock and Locks all have 4-5 star reviews on Amazon. The salty price might be an indicator of high quality? I have a large one , but never dunk tested it.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Are you sure you are getting leakage and not condensation? If the contents of the bag that you are trying to keep dry are warm prior to being bagged up and cooled it will condense the moisture in the air and you will get liquid. Especially if bread is involved ( sandwiches). Bread has a lot of moisture.

Oh yeah definitely leakage. We're talking like so much water gets into the ziplock bags that you have to pour the water off. For example I can pack Frozen burger patties inside 2 ziplock bags then place it inside a rubbermaid container. Place it in the bottom of the cooler. Do the same thing with lunchmeat & cheese and stack it on top. Pour ice over everything @ 7am and by the time we fix sandwiches for lunch we are pouring water out of the lunch meat bags before we ever open the pack of meat. Then by the time we get ready to fix burgers @ 8:30pm, again I have to pour water off of them. If they aren't froze solid when they go in the cooler they turn to mush.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Have you tried half gallon and gallon milk jugs, frozen? Fill to about 4" from the top to allow for expansion as they freeze, then freeze them. I still use bagged ice, but the frozen jugs work pretty well, and no water in the cooler (until I start adding bagged ice). As an added benefit, as they melt, you have a good source of nice cold drinking water. I also do the double ziplock thing too and usually have pretty good luck if I keep that stuff on top of the ice and the drinks, condiments, anything in bottles or cans or jars really, go down in the bagged ice/water.

No I haven't tried the frozen milk jugs yet, not sure I have enough cooler space.
    When we pack for the day at the track, we're packing for 14-20 people and we take 2- 56qt coolers.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The Lock and Locks all have 4-5 star reviews on Amazon. The salty price might be an indicator of high quality? I have a large one , but never dunk tested it.

I have glass leak proof containers the same style as these that I bought from Pampered Chef for way more than $6 each. I love them! I have put things in coolers on their side and had no leaks. Costco sells a large set of these type of containers for around $25 and I have seen them on Groupon for a very reasonable price as well.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ordered up a couple Lock & Lock containers. When they get here I am going to place a dry paper towel inside with a weight, then fill a cooler with water and submerge it for a day. And then I will report back

Top Bottom