• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Anyone? As I understand it, the single-stack Romanians can be converted to double with some judicious work on the mag well, right?

Anyone owned one of these? What was the latest price? I really don't need another AK but this one is calling to me. Nor do I need a "new" caliber." Sigh...

Looks like the top one in the picture. Talk me out of it before I "buy" again. $299 is hard to pass up.

000-2-4-08-0088.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Once you open up the magwell to accept military magazines, you'll also have to make the gun 922(r) compliant, which means swapping out (5) foreign parts with US-made equivalents (or 4, if you keep the thumbhole stock). All of this takes time and money. If I were in the market for another 5.45 rifle, I'd buy one of the Bulgarian builds that Centerfire is advertising for $699, and be done with it.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Once you open up the magwell to accept military magazines, you'll also have to make the gun 922(r) compliant, which means swapping out (5) foreign parts with US-made equivalents (or 4, if you keep the thumbhole stock). All of this takes time and money. If I were in the market for another 5.45 rifle, I'd buy one of the Bulgarian builds that Centerfire is advertising for $699, and be done with it.

Good point. I just did a Saiga 7.62 FCG/pistol grip last night with parts from KVAR, Dinzag and Tapco. It was actually much easier than I expected and lots of fun. That's a great point that I had forgotten about though.

I guess I'm experiencing regret over missing some of the "cheap" Bloc rifles over the last few years and was tempted. Thinking, thinking... :D

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

The Centerfire are better. BUT, if you want to go this route expect the following:

$35 for new trigger group (3 parts count)
    $30 for new stock (1 part count)
    $10 for new grip. (1 part count)
    $10 for new muzzle device (only IF there is one that is detachable on it)
    $10/magazine

That + dremel (GO SLOW) = a $550-600 AK at ~$399. The dremel work is the hard part, and the trigger might need fitting (check for safety several times - hammer follow is a common problem with a self build).

Up to you!

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    The Centerfire are better. BUT, if you want to go this route expect the following:

$35 for new trigger group (3 parts count)
    $30 for new stock (1 part count)
    $10 for new grip. (1 part count)
    $10 for new muzzle device (only IF there is one that is detachable on it)
    $10/magazine

That + dremel (GO SLOW) = a $550-600 AK at ~$399. The dremel work is the hard part, and the trigger might need fitting (check for safety several times - hammer follow is a common problem with a self build).

Up to you!

Would the grip AND the stock count as two parts since the original import part is integral one piece? At least with the Saigas, as I understand it, when you pull the single stock and then add a US pistol grip+stock, it only counts as one. Again, only as I understand it.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Techres,

I know that you already know this & that you purposely left out forearm in your comments because you were specifically refering to the stock/pistol grip but just to make sure that no-one following this thread gets confused (because this can be really confusing for some folks):

A standard AK stock set is considered 3 parts under 922r: 1.) forearm, 2.) buttstock & 3.) pistol grip.

I just wanted to toss that up there to avoid anyone getting confused.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Techres,

I know that you already know this & that you purposely left out forearm in your comments because you were specifically refering to the stock/pistol grip but just to make sure that no-one following this thread gets confused (because this can be really confusing for some folks):

A standard AK stock set is considered 3 parts under 922r: 1.) forearm, 2.) buttstock & 3.) pistol grip.

I just wanted to toss that up there to avoid anyone getting confused.

Thanks! I could not find a pic without the forearm, but I should have been more explicit.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If you don't mind the work it's not to bad to do. Just BE CAREFUL with the dremel, you need to go slow b/c you can't put metal back, well at least w/o welding. I like AKs to look like AKs so I prefer the AK style stocks. I had an early Romanian gun in that caliber and it's a fun and pleasant gun to shoot. I might even have some of the ammo left around here somewhere.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm going to pass. I'll kick myself later but if I wept for every gun I regret not buying then, well, you get the picture.

The unmodified (single-stack) WASR-2 with wood dragunov stock is at Richmond IN Dunhams. It was $399 and an in-store mgr's clearance price of $299.

Also, a Galil-style AK, two WASR-10s and a side-folder that I can't seem to recall the vintage. All $599 each then deduct an in-store $50 off any firearm purchase over $399, making them $549.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Would the grip AND the stock count as two parts since the original import part is integral one piece? At least with the Saigas, as I understand it, when you pull the single stock and then add a US pistol grip+stock, it only counts as one. Again, only as I understand it.
    Yes. The number of US parts doesn't matter. It's the number of foreign made parts that are counted. You still only subtract one foreign made part even if you replaced it with 2 US made ones.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes. The number of US parts doesn't matter. It's the number of foreign made parts that are counted. You still only subtract one foreign made part even if you replaced it with 2 US made ones.

That concurs with everything I read about 922r before I started hacking away at the Saiga. The point is the number of qualifying import parts not exceeding 10. The dragunov stock (one piece) was only counted as one import part. The US pistol grip and stock count as two but it is the overal count of foreign parts that are important.

922(r) Worksheet for Saiga Conversions - Gunwiki - TWiki

922(r) Worksheet for AK-47 Builds - Gunwiki - TWiki

Top Bottom