• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    thanks for all the prayers!

She is walking around alittle but very sore in the shoulders and back. Still some loss of sensation but its coming back......

Thanks again.....

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    How awful... sorry to hear that longbow. Prayers for your family.

longbow said:
    FYI-we are already aware of what untreatable reaction she is having to this vaccine.

What are they calling the reaction? Guillain-barre syndrome? When my sister had a seizure from a vaccine, they blamed it on what she had for breakfast. :n00b:

BTW, that "5 in 1,000,000" figure has been pulled directly out of the CDC's :moon:. I think it's far greater than that.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Yes to GBS-time will tell and I pray that is not what is happening....my wife is very good at being the one who has rare medical reactions....that is the first thing we read when she takes a new med.....

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The danger with any of these shots is Gullian-Barre Syndrome that effects the peripheral nervous system. It does not happen often but is very dangerous and this is one of the reasons I avoid all of them at this point in time.

Gullian-Barre is frequently severe and usually exhibits as an ascending paralysis noted by weakness in the legs that spreads to the upper limbs and the face along with complete loss of deep tendon reflexes. With prompt treatment by plasmapheresis or intravenous immunoglobulins and supportive care, the majority of patients will regain full functional capacity. However, death may occur if severe pulmonary complications and autonomic nervous system problems are present. Guillain–Barré is one of the leading causes of non-trauma-induced paralysis in the world. (from wiki)

Keep an eye on her and if the loss of sensation spreads, get her to the hospital. Don't mean to scare you but it can lead to loss of life if severe enough.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    5 in 1,000,000 is 1 in 200,000. far better chance of getting this than winning the lottery. just great! and like was said. that rate may be made up and the risk may actually be higher.

edit: any update on how she is doing?

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    Oh no.. hope everything turns out okay.
    Like others have said, be sure to keep us updated!

C'mon people, don't take this thing!
    Seems there's a higher risk of you having complications from it than actually contracting the over-hyped 'swine flu' itself! Don't buy into the media's fear-mongering.. Inform your family and friends.

Really hate to hear this is happening to a loved one of one of ours..

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Longbow you have my deepest prayers. It is not easy to watch your wife be sick.

I speak from experience and can tell you that sometimes even the best drugs affect people adversely. I lost my wife to cancer, and worse, to a reaction to one of the drugs that was supposed to stop cancer.

Unfortunately experience in the medical industry has shown me that most drugs help more than they hurt, and that doesn't make it feel any better when it affects you personally. I warn people to avoid the drug known as the "Red Death". Adriamycin has killed many women fighting cancer, but it has also helped more. Still I warn everyone to avoid the Red Death at all cost.

Again, I pray your wife improves. You too have my prayers.

Hang tough friend!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Longbow,

You guys have my prayers and best wishes.
    Follwo-up like they have told you. Sounds like she's turnign the corner so good luck!

Hoosier 8,

Interesting knowledge there. Thatnks for sharing it with us. I'll look inot a little more.
    I'm in healthcare but have never gotten a flushot in my adult life. No one is even hinting that they'll ask us to.

A guy at the range the other day was talking about the h1n1 vaccine. He suggested if they wanted to force me to take the shot I offer some of the 9mm variety in return....(Personally not going THAT far but I get the sentiment)

Again longbow best wishes and keep us posted.!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Shot update

the joint pain continues and she tells everyone to avoid the shot........if you are not in good health, think twice....

she has missed several family gatherings and a few parties that she has never missed before...

She says its better that the first few days, but it has really zonked her!

Top Bottom