• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Hydrochloric acid. Also known as muriatic acid, and available in somewhat diluted form as a pH balancer for pools.

I wondered..(trying not to sound ignorant)

I see a lot of differant things to experiment with. Think I'll use my rock island though.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Sounds easy enough....Whats HCl ?
    I also have a line on Black Oxide gun finishes

HCl is hydrochloric acid. I *think* you could also use sulfuric acid, but don't hold me to that.

The method I described is just a black oxide finish done the old fashioned way.

Any method of bluing - cold or hot - is just a form of controlled rust. The rusting process itself is not a good protectant. Rather, the reason these finishes work, and have worked for hundreds of years, is because they hold oil really well. That's what actually protects the firearm.

If you want a physical barrier other than oil between the metal and the outside world, by all means go with a coating of some sort.

Josh <><

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I'm open to all suggestions. Got to be a quicker and cheaper way to figure out what I like

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    You might check out the Teflon based stuff.

I'm far from an expert on finishes. I refinished the grip safety on my 1911 after I blended it to the frame, and it's wearing off already due to the way it lays in my hand.

The factory packerizing is wearing off already too due to the holster.

There's a finish that someone's using, forget who or where, but it's impervious to nearly everything. I believe you have to send it off to have it applied though.

Josh <><

P.S. Don't use the 300* process on double barrels or anything with a soldered rib. I can't guarantee the point at which it would weaken it. J.S.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Strip using 1 part HCl and 1 part water.
    HCl is hydrochloric acid. I *think* you could also use sulfuric acid, but don't hold me to that.

And for the love of all that's holy, make sure you pour the acid into the water and not the other way around. Pour in only small amounts at a time. If it starts to bubble, you need to stop and let it cool off. If you use sulfuric acid, the water container should be placed in an ice bath while pouring.

Mixing acid and water creates an exothermic reaction and the heat can build up so fast that it literally will explode in your face as the solution boils.

WEAR SAFETY EQUIPMENT! (rubber gloves, eye and/or face protection)

/about the only thing I remember from HS chemistry: "Do what you oughta. Pour acid to watah."

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    What do you guys think of this?
    Caswell Inc. - Black Oxide Kit
    If you get a chance d/l their catalog and look at what all they offer, including Hard Chroming kits
    I would really like something in black chrome but unsure about the durability
    We have a couple of women that come around and do gold plating for us on car emblems.
    Looks nice they use kits like on the catalog.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Took it out yesterday and shot it.
    What a nice shooting gun. Perfect carry piece IMHO

Top Bottom