Want to buy ammunition ... in California?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    Here's what we currently have to put up with ... coming to a Nation near you?

CRPAAmmoFlowchart.jpg

Greffy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2019
    Los Angeles County
    Is it the same process for components?
    No, not at this time for any components, but I did see a report that California is trying to make it so that all 'gun parts' will need to go through some approval process like background check or FFL process. I'm not real clear on the details, but thought I saw like 2025 as proposed date for this to happen. As far as I know, it is just proposed legislation for now.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Exactly.

Not much different than powder raids of days gone by.

Some fail to learn the lessons of history. Thus, they are doomed to repeat them.
    But this is America. That can't happen here.

(Will consult with @printcraft to select the perfect nuanced shade of purple)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    So is bulk ordering just completely off the table in California, or what? What does the FFL charge to put up with unloading and checking your ammo in?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    WTAF! They have time to implement ridiculous policies like this while their southern border is a sieve, their schools and medical systems are imploding and homeless people crapping in the streets are turning cities like San Francisco into, well, shitholes! The insanity!!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wonder if the taggants will make a comeback?

Another discredited, but probably lucrative idea from the past.

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    So is bulk ordering just completely off the table in California, or what? What does the FFL charge to put up with unloading and checking your ammo in?
    You can buy whatever you want, but you will have to "pass" the background check (which costs $1) before your FFL can transfer it. In addition the FFL will charge $15 to make the transfer (this fee is not regulated by the state, some dealers charge more).

What information is collected
    The following information is collected and reported to the DOJ (30352):
    1. The date of the sale or other transfer.
    2. The purchaser's or transferee's driver's license or other identification number and the state in which it was issued.
    3. The brand, type, and amount of ammunition sold or otherwise transferred.
    4. The purchaser's or transferee's full name and signature.
    5. The name of the salesperson who processed the sale or other transaction.
    6. The purchaser's or transferee's full residential address and telephone number.
    7. The purchaser's or transferee's date of birth.

The information reported to the DOJ is stored in a database known as the Ammunition Purchase Records File. The information is confidential and may be used by the DOJ or law enforcement through California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (CLETS). Yes, the ammo you buy is now computer searchable by law enforcement (30352(b)). Records are retained by the vendor for five years (30355) and subject to inspection by law enforcement, in connection with an investigation (30357).

Yes, the state will know how much you bought and what caliber. No, there is no restriction on what or how much you can buy. No, the state is not actively tracking people and investigating them on what they buy…yet.
    Source: California Carry > https://www.californiacarry.org/buying-ammo.html

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You can buy whatever you want, but you will have to "pass" the background check (which costs $1) before your FFL can transfer it. In addition the FFL will charge $15 to make the transfer (this fee is not regulated by the state, some dealers charge more).

Source: California Carry > https://www.californiacarry.org/buying-ammo.html

2. The purchaser's or transferee's driver's license or other identification number and the state in which it was issued.
    But... I thought asking for ID was racist... or something.... :scratch:

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    just ordered a case of 7.62x39 from laxammo.com. didn't pay attention to where they are located until after i ordered. i didn't have to jump through any of that.

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific

But... I thought asking for ID was racist... or something.... :scratch:
    I just re-read that line; a NON-RESIDENT is NOT allowed to purchase ammunition in CA. They CAN bring it in with them (i.e. hunting trip). But CA residents CANNOT purchase out-of-state and bring it back with them.

Same source as the original quote, so ... contradictory? Yeah, quite a bit. And can a 'resident' hold and an out-of-state driver's license in California. Pffff.. don't know.

Top Bottom