Want an AR but am not the best at cleaning my rifles constantly and hates jams.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    As the title says....i am more prone to buy something like a mini 14 and a remington 879 that go boom without cleaning like crazy each time i shoot. Is there an AR that is reliable, accurate that i dont have to strip down and clean after every range visit?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    As the title says....i am more prone to buy something like a mini 14 and a remington 879 that go boom without cleaning like crazy each time i shoot. Is there an AR that is reliable, accurate that i dont have to strip down and clean after every range visit?

Your fine as long as you keep it well lubed. They like to be ran wet...

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    ^^^^ Slip 2000 EWL. Stays put and dirt wipes away with it. Makes cleaning as easy as wiping off the old and applying the new.

Quality parts from known manufacturers will take care of a good portion of your worries.

Last edited:

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Like others have said. Keep it well lubed and the grim usually doesn't negatively affect function. I normally keep mine clean, but have been busy this year and just now cleaned my "regular use" AR. I reckon its had over 1000 rounds through it since its last cleaning. It was FILTHY but ran fine.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    You can cut down on the filth in the chamber by getting a piston AR. Just get one from a reputable builder.

Also, it really depends on the use that it sees. If you fire a couple hundred rounds a month then you don't need to clean it as much. Go to a class that does 500/day, good idea to clean it each day. In Afghanistan, I would clean mine after every patrol because of all the dust and dirt that the rifle was coated with every time we went out.

Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    It depends on how well-built the rifle is. Ranger Proof Arms makes a rifle that the owner ran through 6k rounds of Tula steel-cased ammo with no cleaning and no malfunctions.

I clean my weapon after every range visit because I want to, not because I need to. The bolt carrier needs to be lubed to function well, but it does not need to be clean by any means. I finally had a malfunction after 2 years and 2000 rounds because I bought a cheap-o bolt carrier and the extractor spring finally went bad. A $5 spring kit on Bravo Company prevents that issue from ever arising.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I made it to 3500 rounds with one once but cleaned it out of guilt since it technically wasn't mine. As shown above, cleaning is overrated.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Interesting, i have always assumed they jammed like crazy if not cleaned religiously. So my nexy question. How relaible is a Ruger SR556E for a piston driven model? if I go gas imp....what is the best bang for say 700.00?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Interesting, i have always assumed they jammed like crazy if not cleaned religiously. So my nexy question. How relaible is a Ruger SR556E for a piston driven model? if I go gas imp....what is the best bang for say 700.00?

1967 called, they agreed with you on the jamming. The pics from the earlier post (that bolt carrier group is NASTY!!) are worth 1,000 words for sure. I clean mine after I shoot it like the CATM guys in the USAF taught me.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    As shown above, cleaning is overrated.

Exactly. If any gun has to be spotless to run, the gun needs to be sold. I clean my ARs when they fail, which, has yet to happen. DI or piston, suppressed or not. A dirty AR is a happy AR, use Slip2000 and call it a day.

As for the piston, for the price, I'd get a POF Puritan over a Ruger any way of the week.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Good advice so far.

What are you using this gun for?
    protection? training? hunting? truck gun? fun/range gun? target shooting (accuracy)?

Are you shooting 100 rds every 3 months and then throwing it in the safe? Or run n' gun drills in the mud shooting 1000 rds over a weekend?
    The truth is any quality AR (BCM, S&W, Rock River, etc) should do fine as long as you keep it lubed.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If set on a piston, there are better options than the Ruger for about the same $$. Personally, I will stick to DI with my ARs as the parts are interchangeable and if/when a parts failure occurs, I can use any part from any manufacturer I choose.

I am growing partial to my wasr though...

Top Bottom