• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i went to marengo caves in nothern KY in high school. it was guided spelunking, not walking tour crap. among cool things ive done that one is way up there. i remember a particular passage we had to belly crawl thru it, and it got so tight on my (then) 46" chest i couldn't take a full breath.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I've not been caving since I was a kid in the scouts. I remember it being a lot of fun. :)

My uncle was a TAGer for as long as I can remember, but its been several years since hes gone out I think.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    the-birth-canal-obvious.jpg

Screw that noise.

That gives me the heebi-geebies just thinking about it.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I did a half day tour of Wyandotte Cave in high school. A classmate got stuck in a tight place and panicked. He puffed up like a toad and we had to wait an hour or so for him to calm down and get free before we could move on. We crawled through slimy places where we had to hold our lanterns sideways to get through. I'm sure I wouldn't fit through those places today but that doesn't matter. I have no plans of going back. It was scary fun but once is enough.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    So... Uh... Does it have it's own sun too?

Where is all of that light coming from? Are caves not completely underground and I would think not being underground make it not a cave?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis

Where is all of that light coming from? Are caves not completely underground and I would think not being underground make it not a cave?

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I don't know a lot about caves so maybe someone else can help me out with that. In any case those pics are gorgeous.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

A pit is still considered a cave and in this case the entrance zone of the cave is so large that even hundreds of feet into the cave (known as the twilight zone, who says geologists have no sense of humor) the open air part of the entrance influences the rest of the system.

But, it's kind of misleading anyway, all caves have weather systems of a sort, subtle interactions of the natural airflow happen even in what appears to be still air areas. Changes in atmospheric pressure outside or chimney effect between entrances or openings at different elevations drive air flow. Minute differences in humidity (tenths of percents) and temperature (floor to ceiling may see a hundredth of a degree) can drive air movement in a completely sealed chamber.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i went to marengo caves in nothern KY in high school. it was guided spelunking, not walking tour crap. among cool things ive done that one is way up there. i remember a particular passage we had to belly crawl thru it, and it got so tight on my (then) 46" chest i couldn't take a full breath.
    Marengo is NOT in KY. :nono:

twokhd0730.jpg

Can I cook, or can't I?

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    It's artificial lighting in cases other than pit-caves. It's darker than the inside of a goat once you really get inside. A curious phenomenon I've observed is that after an extended time in total darkness is that one can almost "see" ​ones own body, a kind of heighten sense of perception of extremities; hands, feet, and head.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Supposedly, once deprived of visible light completely, the human eye is capable of perceiving infrared light. I've never experienced it though.

Maybe Obama and the Congressional Democrats have had their heads up their asses long enough. Perhaps we could ask them.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom