• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Are there any local shops that allow you to carry...loaded?

I am a member of PopGuns and they have a "No Loaded Guns" sign on their front door; sort of hypocritical from my point of view considering they sell firearms, accessories and shooting range time as their only business. Seems like every employee in the store is armed. If they are afraid of armed people in their store why are they trying to sell guns to the public. I can bring my loaded CC into a bank but not a gun store. Am I missing something here?

34oSc

Michiana, you've raised a good point, one that I've wondered before. I'm comfortable NOT "carrying" in a gunshop, but then,I wonder about all the poor "open carry" guys that have to search their rolls of fat to find that pistol and shuck the shells before entering. It just doesn't seem fair! I mean, they have to draw that pistol and unload it in the car or at their trunk, or outside the store door...Right out there in front of Gawd and Everybody- I'm surprised more BGs don't look for "sheeple" outside gun store's doors- you know those folks guns are unloaded.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    To me it is being hypocritical

Michiana, you've raised a good point, one that I've wondered before. I'm comfortable NOT "carrying" in a gunshop, but then,I wonder about all the poor "open carry" guys that have to search their rolls of fat to find that pistol and shuck the shells before entering. It just doesn't seem fair! I mean, they have to draw that pistol and unload it in the car or at their trunk, or outside the store door...Right out there in front of Gawd and Everybody- I'm surprised more BGs don't look for "sheeple" outside gun store's doors- you know those folks guns are unloaded.

To me it is saying that they do not trust their clientele to carry a loaded gun in THEIR STORE but it is OK for them to sell this same person a firearm so they can carry it in some mall around my family. They are armed to the teeth yet do not want armed people wandering around their store; my family is not armed at the mall. What are they afraid of?

The old "don’t do as I do, do as I say." It seems that the second amendment stops at their front door.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Just a SWAG but.............

I'd be willing to bet the "no loaded weapons" issue at gunshops is more about liability than gun philosophy! We live in such a litigious world that virtually every business has to be concerned about being sued.

As for WalMart: I was told by a store manager, as he carried my 10/22 to the door, the stores that were dropping guns, his store included, were doing so because guns didn't generate a large enough percentage of that particular store's profit. If that's so, to me it appears to be a sound business practice.

How big is WalMart? I can't confirm this information but I got it in an email so it must be accurate.........right? :D

HOW BIG IS WAL-MART?
    Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day at WalMart.
    This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

I'm no WalMart fan either but............ it is what it is!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    When Wal-Mart fires a mother because she has to leave work because her kid went to the hospital, that tells me they don't give a CRAP about their employees. Period. They will fire you for calling in sick. If you throw up and go home there's a good chance they will fire you. How do I know this? I know two people who used to work there (one is my fiance), and I know one who has worked there a couple decades. According to the older lady, Walmart has changed for the worse and it won't be getting better. American Products? Good luck searching for those!

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I'd be willing to bet the "no loaded weapons" issue at gunshops is more about liability than gun philosophy! We live in such a litigious world that virtually every business has to be concerned about being sued.

Why would a gun shop have more of a liability issue than any other business when it comes to patrons carrying loaded weapons in their business? Some have a shooting range which I would think is more of a insurance liability issue. After all, these store owners restrict the use of a product that they themselves encourage other people to buy from them for personal protection.

Perhaps one of our fellow forum members who works for or owns a gun store that has a "no loaded weapons" policy can explain to the group why a no loaded gun rule is in place?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Why would a gun shop have more of a liability issue than any other business when it comes to patrons carrying loaded weapons in their business?

This issue has come up many times. I'll see if I can provide any links for explaination.

Basically, what it boils down to is what is required for the Insurance Company.

I've heard many gun store owners say the same thing-- the sign is for the insurance people, and to keep people from bringing in loaded weapons to sell or trade. The sign does not apply toward LTCH holders who have a concealed holstered weapon.

ETA: Ok found the thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/6251-no_loaded_firearms.html

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    This issue has come up many times. I'll see if I can provide any links for explaination.

Basically, what it boils down to is what is required for the Insurance Company.

I've heard many gun store owners say the same thing-- the sign is for the insurance people, and to keep people from bringing in loaded weapons to sell or trade. The sign does not apply toward LTCH holders who have a concealed holstered weapon.

ETA: Ok found the thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/6251-no_loaded_firearms.html

minus those that say "No Loaded Weapons Period"

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    minus those that say "No Loaded Weapons Period"

Here are a couple good views from the link'd thread:

Shooter521 (Bradis employee) said:
    Bradis has a "NO LOADED FIREARMS" sign on the front door, too.

If somebody comes into the shop with a loaded gun on their hip, I'm fine with that as long as it stays in the damn holster. But the temptation to whip it out and show someone, or to use it as a test mule for that last minute holster purchase, is evidently too tempting for a lot of people. And unloading the gun in the shop is not acceptable if you forget to check the chamber, or you're pointing the friggin' thing at me or at another customer. Yeah, both have happened, multiple times. :n00b: And that's with the sign in place. It would only be worse without it.

On the other hand, if you come in and you're carrying concealed, that's your business; out of sight is out of (my) mind.

I don't speak for the shop, but that's my personal perspective on it.

bigcraig said:
    The sign that Bob at PSS has posted is for the knuckle draggers that are too dumb to carry a gun.

Bob has ZERO problem with you having your CCW locked and loaded in a holster, what he DOES have a problem with is the aforementioned slack jawed booger eaten morons that like to yank their pistols out during casual conversations with no regard for muzzle saftey.

I have walked into that shop open carrying, and never a word was said.

So if you go into PSS and are planning to do some wheeling and dealing with one of your guns, MAKE SURE IT ISN"T YOUR FREAKIN CARRY PIECE.

Gungho_1989 said:
    I used to work for Albro's as well as frequent many other shops around Indy and most had the sigh even Albro's had one,
    I never understood the need for one and felt that a gun shop was the last place one is needed. Every employee there carried even my wife when she worked there.
    If that is a shops policy then so be it. I can say that one of the other shops I frequent has the sign up just to please the Lawyers and really don't give a rats ass whether you carry or not in the shop. He seen me clearing my gun one time by the truck stepped out and said "WTF are you doing that sign is for the Lawyers".

Simon6101 said:
    I work at Bradis with Shooter and agree totally with his statements. We have no problem with a loaded gun as long as it stays in the holster. But we always have the idiots that consider themselves safe gun owners that will walk in and wish to trade or sell a gun and hand it to us fully loaded. That is why we always check the chamber on any gun we hand to a customer or if a customer is trying to sell or trade we always check the chamber. It always amazes me how many people will come in and ask to see a holster and whip out their carry gun to test fit. We have a fair share of bad element that do come to shop and we monitor their activity closely. I am also a LEO and normally stay very close to the folks that we are a little wary of. The shops in town post this type of sign for the Insurance companies and to attempt to provide for the safety and security of all that want to shop there. If you don't like a particular stores policy you can always shop whereever you like and quite possibly be missing out on good deals and pricing. I will get off my soap box now and get back to work.:draw::twocents:

BGFirearms said:
    If I might may I explain my stores position with the "NO LOADED FIREARMS." I have the sign posted on my entrance door soley as a reminder for persons bringing in firearms to be worked on,traded,trying on holsters,selling,or etc...I fully support the 2amend. and encourage all to exercise their rights granted to us by the constitution.I assure you, myself as well as my employees will never ask a customer to disarm themselves based simply on the issue of "NO LOADED FIREARMS." Now one might ask now why dont I post all that on my entry door and the simple answer is not enough space on my door. I took an oath to uphold the Constitution of both the United States of America and the State of Indiana, all which I take very seriously. Hope this makes BEECH GROVE FIREARMS policy on "NO LOADED FIREARMS" a little more understandable.I'm just trying to keep us all safe in the store and by no means am I suggesting we are safer/better than anybody else but just that the less loaded firearms out with actions being worked the less chance of an accident.Thanks GREG...

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    and I know one who has worked there a couple decades. According to the older lady, Walmart has changed for the worse and it won't be getting better.
    I believe Wal-Mart started going down the crapper when Sam died and the family took over. I worked at the Linton store for almost 7 years. It was ok for a high school and college job but I got tired of it being my full time. (Sam had already passed before I started working there).

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    All the local shops are price gouging..... That makes them crooks in my books. No better than walmart. And every one else including members of this board that are price gouging they are hipocrites and crooks too., and can kiss my butt.

Cricket Tickler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    When Wal-Mart fires a mother because she has to leave work because her kid went to the hospital, that tells me they don't give a CRAP about their employees. Period. They will fire you for calling in sick. If you throw up and go home there's a good chance they will fire you. How do I know this? I know two people who used to work there (one is my fiance), and I know one who has worked there a couple decades. According to the older lady, Walmart has changed for the worse and it won't be getting better. American Products? Good luck searching for those!

Walmart has a very drawn out attendance policy. You can miss something like 12 or 14 days without Doctor approval before you reach termination. They even give you something they call a D-day (desicion day). It's a paid day off to decide whether you want to stay with the company or resign. I'd bet those people you know were in some attendance problems before they got fired for said illness/reasons. How do I know this? I've worked in Sams club distribution for almost 5 years. Our rules are the same as the ones at the stores.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    All the local shops are price gouging..... That makes them crooks in my books. No better than walmart. And every one else including members of this board that are price gouging they are hipocrites and crooks too., and can kiss my butt.

Local shops have no choice. It's called competion and they are hard pressed to compete when super stores like Walmarx sell things cheaper and have more that just a few things people need. Local shop store owners aren't being crooks, they're just trying to stay alive.

Walmart has a very drawn out attendance policy. You can miss something like 12 or 14 days without Doctor approval before you reach termination. They even give you something they call a D-day (desicion day). It's a paid day off to decide whether you want to stay with the company or resign. I'd bet those people you know were in some attendance problems before they got fired for said illness/reasons. How do I know this? I've worked in Sams club distribution for almost 5 years. Our rules are the same as the ones at the stores.

Well, most people I know/knew at Wal-hell was 3-5 years ago and the other I haven't talked to in a year or so. I guess the lightened up. I still remember the story in the news about how they treat their employees too. Too much bad stuff about Hell-Mart for me to support them. Bad thing is I can't get my fiance to stop going there!

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    a853_thumb.jpg

Support you're local gun shop, not the corporation who's policy is not to allow you to carry in their stores. I don't care how many people they employ, just think of the "mom and pop" shops that could expand and hire those people if Wal-Marx went out of buisness and left town! You're local Red and White or IGA would regain buisness and stay open 24/7 and hire more workers. Specialty shops would actually do buisness and in turn, more would open up!

:rantoff:

The Wal-Hell in Plainfield only sells pellet/bb/black powder/air rifles and the ammo for each. Nothing else but Shotgun shells.

Eff Wally Hell, Wal-Marx, Sheet-mart, whatever.

I'd kill for a good butcher... best thing was Omalias and then with the Marsh fiasco I don't have the one down the street from me anymore at 10th and girlschool and have to drive downtown for any decent meat.

That being said I"ll buy a lot from walmart, ammo included... but I'd never buy a firearm from them, I'd buy from Don's before I'd buy from wally world.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood

It's called capitalism, supply and demand, free market.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Wal Mart sells ammo in Noblesville store

Yup all they have is shotguns hells.

I buy my 40SW and .22 ammo at my local Wal-Mart store on 37 and it is the lowest price in town. They are the only place that sells .22 shorts for about the same price as LR, places like Gander Mountain are double that. A box of 550 .22LR for around $15.

They carry 9mm and most of the other sizes too. Paid $31 for a box of 100 Winchester 40SW target ammo including sales tax. Great prices, better than I can buy at bulk from the distributors.
    And if you think Wal-Mart is going to go out of business because you and a few others don't care for the store get real. :twocents:

Top Bottom