Wal-Mart Reports Couple To The Police For Not Allowing Them To Check Their Receipt

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    WHAT?! Now I have to wrap my Razor handle in tinfoil, that'll confound them for a while :D. Until I have to hole up Anne Frank style while the WMCPTF (WalMart Consumer Product Task Force) raids my house. Just dont sneeze! Hey, jerkface, that's MY chololate cake!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I can understand the need for loss prevention and preventing "shrink". However, there comes a time and a line drawn when someone enters my personal space.

Now, I'm not an agressive person... I'm pretty passive until I feel threatened. Having someone reach for me forcefully would set me off... Probably not enough to draw down, but most definitely lock them up and to take them to the floor.

However, this is VERY situational. I'd be quite a bit more restrained it were one of the older greeters at Wal-mart. I'd feel like dirtball if I sent some little old lady flying.. :n00b:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I find it surprising, but apparently disposable razors are one of the most shoplifted things. A lot of stores point security cameras at that one spot in the aisle for that reason. I know high-end disposable razors are pricey, but I would think there would be other things targeted first.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    Man, some really touchy people today. Here is my flow chart for reaction:
    1. If they ask for my reciept, Im giving it to them for review. Its beneath me to argue with them over them doing their job.

2. If they grab me or touch me, no prob still. If I followed step 1, there is no reason. If 1 was not followed, then I can understand. Had that happen in a Meijers once. Showed em my reciept, off I went to my next adventure. Heck, even got a 10 dollar gift card for the experience (guy literally grabbed my arm, nothing else).

3. Assault? Too many people are way too damn touchy. Touch me in the slightest (tap on the shoulder) and that is assault! How does that work? We are too litigation-minded in our modern society, looking to soak someone else. People will say they arent, but are sometimes already spending the thousands in their mind. Assault in my mind is (literally) anything that messes up my hair (short and gelled, so it will take a tackle). Seriously. If it gets to that point, even then, I will demand the person fired (a bad thing to them, if they are working at Walmart and get fired, their lives are over anyways) and return all my items. Thats it!

No screaming because they wanted to see a reciept. No bellowing and thumping my chest and pulling out my hair over a beep in their system. My time is worth more than that. Perhaps if I was retired and had more time, I would be, realistically, a pain in the ass. Maybe more people should GROW UP and be a HUMAN not bloody animals and jump a mile over a mouse fart.

Just my two bucks (inflation, you know)

I concur. My wife and I are frequent Walmart and Sam's shoppers. Occasionally, the alarm will sound when we are leaving, and we simply cooperate with the greeters who have always been courteous while making a cursory examination of the merchandise in our possession. So far, we've never been battered, cursed at, or threatened with detainment and arrest.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    I concur. My wife and I are frequent Walmart and Sam's shoppers. Occasionally, the alarm will sound when we are leaving, and we simply cooperate with the greeters who have always been courteous while making a cursory examination of the merchandise in our possession. So far, we've never been battered, cursed at, or threatened with detainment and arrest.
    I agree Disposable Heart and Gryphon. If I was late for something and they were holding me up I wouldn't probably get agitated but it's not their fault, just doing their job. So I'm late I'll explain. I got bigger things to worry about than someone checking through my stuff. Usually I just keep my receipt in my hand and prepare in case someone does stop me.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    For what it's worth, RFID tags have no power source. The transmitters inside of them only activate when a receiver, which is also a transmitter provides enough RF to power the tiny transmitter inside the tag.

An RFID scanner that would work at a range of more than a few feet (read 6' or under) would require a substantial power source, a substantial amount of RF, and would not be safe to work around for any extended period of time.

The thing is, cell phones, steel toe shoes/boots and many other things can set the alarm off. The alarm has also been set off when people ENTERED the store. Why? Who knows.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    everyones going to react different... i for one would not stop if i need to be somewhere else.. if not then ill stop and let em do their thing..
    as far as them starting to check people coming from a self checkout lane, stopping them at the door kinda defeats the purpose.. you go to that line to speed things up and then you get slowed down at the door...?

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    If you are late is waiting about 15 seconds or less for someone to look through your bag really going to hold you up? If you are pissed about someone looking through your bag that is one thing but it really doesn't take much time unless there is a line to "be searched".

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I would go into a ninja death pose and call down dieties on them.
    Or lightning. Maybe both. Maybe just fart on them.

Like this one?
    brianpro-2.jpg

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    I would go into a ninja death pose and call down dieties on them.
    Or lightning. Maybe both. Maybe just fart on them.
    Wow! I think you get the post of the day! :lmfao:
    How about a post of the day voted on by the moderators or even a post of week. What do you say Fenway? Don't know how you would do it, thats what they pay you the big bucks for right :) But I would certainly read that sticky every day.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I get really annoyed when someone wants to look in my bags. Frys does this and it ticks me off every time I go in there and yet, I still go. I know they are going to do it. It's a requirement for them. I purchased these items. They are in a bag. I'm coming down the hall where the cash registers are. Being guilty until proven innocent is not the way it should be. I understand Sam's club because there are no bags. You could have a receipt from yesterday. Come in to the store, put a whole bunch of stuff in your cart and carry the receipt as if you just purchased them and walk right out. I understand the places that don't use bags. However, once I have purchased something and it's in my hands and in a bag, it is no longer their property but mine. They have no right to look in it unless they are darn well sure I stole something.

If someone grabbed me, I'd like to think my training would come in handy. That I would take them down. hopefully I'll never have to find that out though.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    That dang alarm has gone off every stinkin' time I ever bought a bra at WalMart. No matter how much they swiped that coded thingie over the whatchacallit that's supposed to make it Kosher to walk out the door. I just go to J.C. Penny now. :rolleyesedit:
    Touch me in the slightest (tap on the shoulder) and that is assault! How does that work?
    Depends where on my person that slightest touch/tap happens.

The alarm has also been set off when people ENTERED the store. Why? Who knows.
    That happened to me when I went out of Staples and into Wal-Mart. They use the same beep-code for stuff, I guess.

pinpointshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Wal Marts around here never check your bags or even stuff in the bottom of the cart. Only time I have been checked was when I was exiting out of the lawn and garden department. Of course Sams club checks my stuff but if it is young guy he never really counts the stuff but the older people always do.

When you pay for something they are transferring ownership of the Item(s) to you so it is now your property before you walk out the door and any judge would be able to see that. They have a right to prevent loss of property say when they see someone stealing or the magnetic alarm goes off then they can ask for receipts but they should have no reason to otherwise. If I was asked to stop by loss prevention I would keep walking and use my cell phone as a digital recorder since it has that feature and if they blocked my vehicle and repeatedly accused me of stealing something they would get sued for criminal harassment. Sueing them really wouldn't be for the money but for public embarrasment to get them to change policy at all of their stores.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't submit to searches without warrants.

You can be polite about it, though. When the Wal*Mart person accosts you (because they've been told to do so), just smile, say "no, thank you," and keep walking.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    That dang alarm has gone off every stinkin' time I ever bought a bra at WalMart. No matter how much they swiped that coded thingie over the whatchacallit that's supposed to make it Kosher to walk out the door.

Maybe the door greeter thinks you are HOT and just wants to look at your underwear.:lmfao:

They have a swith that they can use to set off the alarm, ya know.:rockwoot:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Wow! I think you get the post of the day! :lmfao:
    How about a post of the day voted on by the moderators or even a post of week. What do you say Fenway? Don't know how you would do it, thats what they pay you the big bucks for right :) But I would certainly read that sticky every day.

Maybe just a "best of INGunOwners" forum, like best of craigslist. Put the classics in there.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I don't submit to searches without warrants.

You can be polite about it, though. When the Wal*Mart person accosts you (because they've been told to do so), just smile, say "no, thank you," and keep walking.

To me, it is not about being a jerk, but about exercising my rights. Wal-mart and SAMS are two different animals. Wal-mart can trespass you for not letting them search. That just means you can't come back. SAMS has allowing them to check bags as a condition of membership. They can revoke your membership.

The bottom line is that once I have exchanged money for goods, any request to search is only granted via my good will. It is not legally required and if the person is being a jerk about it when there are 6 or 7 people in a line and I walk past, they will get as good as they give.

I see exercised rights in the same light as not doing anything when someone takes over part of your land. Eventually you might lose you claim to both.

Top Bottom