• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    A lot of items sold by walmart have a "W" model..
    A part number or boxing that is walmart only..
    that way they can claim 'lowest price' because you can not get that item anywhere else..
    Prior to this sales surge , ammo just was not a big mover.. so it was not worth the extra costs to have it boxed for walmart only...

now the demand is so high the ammo makers are just trying to get it out the door.. they don't want to make a walmart only box..

I suspect they are marking the boxes to help track theft...
    Question is, where are the stickers put on? The factory, local store, or dist. hub ??

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I personally couldn't care less why they're doing it.

If I walked into a gun store and saw a box of ammo with this sticker sitting on their shelf for sale, or a spot on the box where I know this sticker USED to be, I'd definitely speak up to the owner/mgr/whoever that they pretty well suck ass. And I'd say it loud enough so other customers could hear it. It's a ****** business tactic.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    chasekerion4: how is it different than any other product going through the middle man? That's capitalism, and I don't mind it a bit... especially when hoarding stops and someone is stuck with a bunch of overpriced ammo. Mwahaha!

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    chasekerion4: how is it different than any other product going through the middle man? That's capitalism, and I don't mind it a bit... especially when hoarding stops and someone is stuck with a bunch of overpriced ammo. Mwahaha!

It's different because gun stores have distributors and us consumers do not; and the distributors have NO problem getting ammo from the manufacturers. If a retailer (gun store) can't get ammo from his distributor, he should change distributors. But when a retailer has to resort to paying RETAIL for product (plus the tax) and then brings it back to his shop (where he's already OFFERED the same ammo at a reduced 'middleman' price by his distributor; thus already has a better deal than the rest of us) so that he can jack it up, it's flat out ****** business.

It's one thing if the public takes product away from the rest of the public by buying it from the stores.

Now we're talking about the middleman taking the product from the public so that he can make a higher proft off of idiots who would actually walk in, see the sticker, and STILL buy from him.

I'm not sure who looks worse in this scenario:

The dick gun store owner who's raping the public? Or the idiot customers who would see such a sticker and fork over cash with a smile.

Plus, no one's ever stuck with overpriced ammo they bought from Wal-Mart.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I don't understand how the stickers are supposed to track theft. If they are marked Wal-Mart, what evidence is there that the ammo wasn't "purchased" at a Wal-Mart store and then resold or traded?

if walmart knows they are missing a few cases of ammo, & they have calls saying WM ammo is being sold a ABC fleamarket, they can point the police in that direction...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    It's different because gun stores have distributors and us consumers do not; and the distributors have NO problem getting ammo from the manufacturers. If a retailer (gun store) can't get ammo from his distributor, he should change distributors. But when a retailer has to resort to paying RETAIL for product (plus the tax) and then brings it back to his shop (where he's already OFFERED the same ammo at a reduced 'middleman' price by his distributor; thus already has a better deal than the rest of us) so that he can jack it up, it's flat out ****** business.

A retailer with a Retail permit probably purchases stuff tax exempt...
    so sales tax is only paid on the item once..

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Maybe the stickers are to prevent their WORKERS from buying the items for personal reselling. I would understand if it was just the ammo, but someone else mentioned they saw it on other hard goods they had purchased.

Deterrance I think is the plan here. Probably wont work and has to be costing Walmart a few extra bucks on an already slim margin to put rinky dink stickers on stuff.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    No one is raping the public if the public is willing to pay the prices. I'm holding off on buying most ammo because I think it will come back down. I'm not reselling anything either because I think I need what I already have.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i don't see what the big deal is.

if i buy something and want to resell it at a profit, thats my right and option. never known ANYONE who buys anything intending to take a loss (and thats what it is if you sell under market VALUE)........

the rush will slow, eventually, andthen there will be low case prices from people who have a billion rounds of ammo and never shoot. just like the "assualt weapons"........ give it awhile and prices will drop, because they will need to buy their coffee or blackberries......... until then, unless you are replace what you shoot, then we are just ADDING to the panic buying.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I don't think it can actually stop people from selling the ammunition after purchasing from Wal-Mart. But, it does make us aware of who is behaving this way. Then, we can look at them and tell them, F--K YOU!.

IndyParts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Ktown Indiana
    Then the ATF would have a field day with this site since it has a "Ammo Forum area" and I really doubt that everyone is licensed.

You must have a license to sell, resell or manufacture for sale ammunition.

Federal is clear that anyone selling or reselling ammunition for profit is involved in interstate commerce and must have a license and pay taxes on such sales.

A person who buys ammo at walmart on friday and sells it at the gun show on Saturday is risking years in prison and tens of thousands of dollars in fines.

Not saying I agree with it, but thats the deal.

You see that ammo for sale at a table in a gun show, ask to see their license. If you want to really be a ass call the ATF, if it's a slow day and a young agent is bucking for his productivity points, it's an easy grab.

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    Was reading through a similar thread ('ammo at wal mart') and came across this post:
    I talked to an older gentleman at walmart today, and he told me that a gun shop close to me is coming in to buy ALL the 500+ packs that they are getting in. He has told the other associates that they need to be putting some back for regular customers and not to sell him everything. He was told that the gunshop owner can buy it at walmart cheaper than he can get it. When he told me this I knew who he is talking about and the shop is jacking the price up to $25 a box.

Fire

Hmmm

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Thats really a taggart sticker with GPS locator and scans your other inventory w/ daily reports sent via twittering to the ATF !!!

Are you wearing your tin foil??? :dunno:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England

The difference os the store would be violating the The Patriot Act. IIRC you can not buy ammo at retail and then sell it as new again. (Someone could hot load some rounds. etc.)

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Then the ATF would have a field day with this site since it has a "Ammo Forum area" and I really doubt that everyone is licensed.

Why would they? You don't need a license to buy or load(manufacture) ammo for personal use. I re read my post, not sure how you'd construe it to mean something it doesn't.

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    The only thing a business needs to sale ammo in the state of Indiana is a Retail Merchant Certificate (IN sales tax certificate, kind of a business license). No special federal license. If a person is reselling as a business they are obligated to collect appropriate sales tax and file the appropriate taxes at the end of the year. As for manufacturing that may be a different story. I do not know anything about manufacturing ammo for retail sale.

Yeah it sucks you may not be able to purchase ammo at Wal-mart, but this happens all the time. Ammo is not the only thing that people buy from retail stores than turn around and try to resale. Hotwheels, racing related collectibles of all kinds, video games, and other electronics to name a few. If you don't like it don't buy from the people who are reselling it.

Top Bottom