• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I am in Beech Grove 2-3 times a week and by and large the town has honest, decent, hard working people. I like the place, the businesses are run by local, dedicated small business owners.

Sure there are some low life's in BG but that can be found everywhere.

But when I go to that WalMart it about makes me sick. These are not all Beech Grove people. It is the nasty a-- people that hang out there that cause me to go down the street to Meijer.

I applaud Mayor Buckley for calling a spade a spade. Some how WalMart needs to clean up their act in BG.

Clean up the store and really keep it spit shined. Bring in adult strong willed managers that demand staff be vigilant in keeping the store clean and report thugs to security at the drop of a hat.

Police hellion rugrats that ride the new bicycles over to the food section and dump them. Drag the Hellion rugrats back to their parent and warn them and watch them.

Add many more security personnel with radios that can communicate and really have a presence when thugs congregate.

Come on WalMart... the community is being pulled down. Help turn it around.

Beech Grove is a fine town, I wasn't denigrating it with my mouth breathing redneck comment...since MBR's are everywhere...but I have to ask you..."report thugs to security"...who are you talking about? The store security cop or the store loss prevention people can not do diddly squat other than ask you to leave or ask you to stay while you get the cops. Once they put you in the office for holding until the popo gets there, you can simply say bite me and walk out the door. So there needs to be a real police presence there for at least the time being, until the tweeker head crack monsters get the picture and move on down the road to K-Mart.

It's not the store causing trouble, it's the clientele, and the laws that prevent the establishment from hand cuffing and charging the perps in question. I know a guy that worked for Wally in loss prevention for two years...he was flabberghasted by the number of adults that come in there with kids, and then have the kids do all the stealing. Don't have to be a genius to see why.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'll just leave this here......
    walmart-fight-583362.jpg

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I don't know if walmart's corporate practices allow for different pricing between stores, but I would imagine they will just keep raising the prices at that store to cover the cost of police runs and other issues. It's a big company hiring a lot of people, I think most of the bluster from the town is just that.

People who come to Walmart to steal, don't care about the prices.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I generally go to the U.S. 31 South store, but occasionally I'll stop in the BG store on my way home, and I can tell a difference in the clientele. And as has been mentioned, I don't think it's really the BG residents causing the majority of the problems. At least not the residents of BG proper. I've not seen that much in the way of police runs at either (personally that is), but maybe I've just gotten lucky or maybe it's the time of day I shop at them.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Loss Prevention can use force to effect an arrest. Shoplift at Menard's and run or fight and see what happens. Try to pick a day the big dude in overalls is working. Loss Prevention is already making the arrest. They are just turning their prisoner over to the police. The LP has to send in a probable cause to the Prosecutor's Office for the theft, or at least they did. I'm not sure how it works now with the new IC codes.

Not at Walmart. LP at the BG Walmart are to NEVER physically contact a suspect, nor are they allowed to leave the building in pursuit of someone running away after being caught stealing. I know LP folks at Walmart that have been FIRED for getting a little aggressive in their duties. I know a guy at the BG store that was terminated when a perp cold cocked him and took off running, the LP chased the little dickweed to the parking lot, where the thief was apprehended by the police. Walmart is scared to death of a lawsuit, and they lose over 3 BILLION a year in employee theft and shoplifting.

Unless the ROE have been changed at BG...that's the way it is.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Eh, gotta disagree. Wal-Mart A and Wal-Mart B have the exact same policies... so why does Wal-Mart B have more crime issues than Wal-Mart A?

It does not matter why. It matters that Walmart is not controlling its customers.

Nope. There have been several night clubs and bars who have had to implement dress codes, etc. Their bouncers take care of people who won't comply, those people generally leave or don't bother to come in the first place, and police runs go down

Implement a dress and hygiene code and there will not be any more incidents at the Walmart. Make them behave and they will. If they chose not to behave responsibly (bath, shave and dress like a grown up), then don't let them in the store.

Walmart is in the best position to make people behave after receiving notice of the misbehavior of their customer base so they are legally responsible for the behavior of their customers.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I live about equidistant between the Paoli Walmart and the Bedford Walmart. And even though there's a different "looking" clientele, on average, between the two, I don't know that there's a dime's worth of difference between the behaviors of the 2 different clientele. I guess economic differences don't necessarily explain why people act the way they do.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It does not matter why. It matters that Walmart is not controlling its customers.

Implement a dress and hygiene code and there will not be any more incidents at the Walmart. Make them behave and they will. If they chose not to behave responsibly (bath, shave and dress like a grown up), then don't let them in the store.

Walmart is in the best position to make people behave after receiving notice of the misbehavior of their customer base so they are legally responsible for the behavior of their customers.

Absolutely Walmart is in a great position now.
    If I was in management with Walmart I would close up one of the
    " rental stores " in the front of the store and make a deal with the Mayor that Walmart pays to put in a substation and pay to keep a city officer at their store 24-7-365 and put a end to the shenanigans.

cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    I've never had an issue inside the walmart, but I try to avoid it at all costs. I mainly went there back in the day when they sold ammo. Since their stock has been dry, I haven't been back. Just being in their parkinglot stresses me out due to inconsiderate people that don't obey your standard traffic laws. I also don't like the people that roam the lot looking for handouts (though I've had this happen more over at Kroger).

I'm not really sure what would be the best way to help reduce the issues at the location.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not at Walmart. LP at the BG Walmart are to NEVER physically contact a suspect, nor are they allowed to leave the building in pursuit of someone running away after being caught stealing. I know LP folks at Walmart that have been FIRED for getting a little aggressive in their duties. I know a guy at the BG store that was terminated when a perp cold cocked him and took off running, the LP chased the little dickweed to the parking lot, where the thief was apprehended by the police. Walmart is scared to death of a lawsuit, and they lose over 3 BILLION a year in employee theft and shoplifting.

Unless the ROE have been changed at BG...that's the way it is.

That's Wal-Mart's rules, not the law. The question was asked " Why Wal-Mart" and that is part of the answer. Thugs and thieves talk, they know who the soft targets are.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Right, people cause the problems. People cause bar fights, too, but if police get called to the same bar for fights every night it gets shut down as a nuisance business. If it's simply the people, why does Target or Meijer not generate nearly the same run load? It's not THAT Wal-mart, it's ANY Wal-mart. It's not because it's by the interstate. The one at 7245 US 31 S generated several runs a day, often a shift, as well.

Loss Prevention can use force to effect an arrest. Shoplift at Menard's and run or fight and see what happens. Try to pick a day the big dude in overalls is working. Loss Prevention is already making the arrest. They are just turning their prisoner over to the police. The LP has to send in a probable cause to the Prosecutor's Office for the theft, or at least they did. I'm not sure how it works now with the new IC codes.

So if Wal-mart creates over 60 runs a month, and Target, Meijer, Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's, etc. combined don't reach that level, how is it not something Wal-mart is doing?

Now people will try to make this binary and oversimplify. Yes, ultimately it is the thieves who are responsible. That does not mean the business has to create an environment that invites it and allows it to flourish. A community if Florida had a rash of convenience store robberies and a few clerks were shot. They passed ordinances concerning lighting, unobstructed views into the business (posters on the glass could not block the view of the clerk from the street any longer, etc.), and counters that were not easy to jump over. Robberies plummeted. The stores weren't responsible for the robberies, but by being dimly lit, having low counters, blocking the view into the business from the street, etc. they created a great environment for robbers. Not only did c-store robberies go down, all robberies went down. It was harder to be a professional robber, and that drove crime down across the board.

Companies tend to look at it solely based on the bottom line. The pharmacies are a great example. They make it easy to rob their stores, and the loss doesn't cost them what retrofitting stores and decent security would. They don't care they are funding organized crime rings, contributing to overdoses, etc. That's not their problem. Their problem is how much profit each store generates.

As people are saying it IS the government's job to stop thieves, robbers, etc. That is NOT limited to simply responding to each incident. Target hardening and creating a less appealing environment for criminals so the act is prevented before it ever occurs is preferable to allowing people to be victimized over and over and just keep locking people up. If that includes forcing nuisance businesses to either figure out how to not be a haven for criminal activity or to pay more for their disproportionate requirements for government services, I think that's the right path.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BehindBlueI's again.

:+1:

Walmart tends to draw a different class of people, many are hard working honest people, but they have created/fostered the environment for crime to occur. From the employees to management, most are not friendly and don't give two :poop:s about the customer. The best deterrent to crime, or so I've been taught in my almost 20 years in the business, is customer service. Greet the customer, help them find their stuff, in other words engage with them. Keep the store and parking lot clean. :twocents:

An afterthought, maybe hit the people causing the police runs with some fines, too.

Oh yeah, Walmart sucks.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    bought me some 7000rd of 22LR over there last year but haven't checked that place out recently.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I didn't issue a challenge, I asked a question because I don't know the answer. A relatively rare concept anymore.

Please point out the contradiction to me, because I didn't see it.

My understanding is

Given: A disproportionate number of man hours are being devoted to Walmart shoplifting runs (nuisance law usage is valid)

Then the implication is other citizens and/or businesses needs are being neglected

Simple enough.

Do the folks worried about the victim think police no longer respond to Walmart calls? That's not my understanding so correct me if I am wrong. It's not like they have no recourse, they just have to pay for it.

Should Beech Grove taxes be raised across the board to provide extra officers for runs to Walmart and share the pain vs letting walmart pay an additional sum?

No, I think we should take the perps out back of the store and shoot them then bury them down by the creek, no need to call the overworked BG police.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I wonder why the Mayor isn't as concerned with that heroin/meth infested motel down the street? I'm sure Wal-Mart contributes more to the local tax base than that crap hole motel.

On a side note, Mars Hill is getting a Wal-Mart grocery....that should be interesting. It will be centrally located between the liquor stores, the trailer park(s) and The World's Largest Shell Station. If nothing else, it should eliminate some of the pond scum that frequents the Camby Wal-Mart (not that there's much difference between The Hill and Camby). But it should make a few of the East Camby wanna-be soccer moms happier.

Top Bottom