• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For anyone who is about to tell me to get back to the scores, I am taking a little break! I will be done soon and have the results posted at United States Practical Shooting Association and e-mail as soon as possible after that.

Thanks to everyone who helped make it another safe and fun day. It was good having three new shooters from INGO with us, so thanks to Pami, W9ZEB, and Fenway for being safe and fun people! They all did very well.

Pami, by the way, could give lessons on how to reload quickly. Once she gets a mag pouch or two for her belt, she's going to be on fire!

I owe GetA2J a huge apology for making his truck the latest victim of my bad driving. I AM SORRY!

Furthermore, I apologize to the newbies for my sucka** performance today. On the bright side, you got to see plenty of my mistakes and learn from them!

Pami ... I recommend you get a dropped/offset holster from Blade Tech holsters, knives and tactical gear for military, law enforcement, shooting competition and hunting. or something similar which will let you wear your holster at 3:00 or even a little forward or rearward if you choose. It will make your range time a lot easier for you, whether in matches, practice, classes, or whatever. We can talk about your carry holster too if you like. Just let me know.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    People in Arby's look at you funny when, laughing, you tell someone you killed all the hostages. :):

If you want to see funny looks, go to any restaurant with people in it with obijohn, Coach, and our buddy the G-Man. Funny looks are the least of what we get. BigCraig can vouch for this.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Things we learned from this event:

1. Hostages are not safe when Pami is rescuing them. They need to duck lower, or expect a new haircut.

2) Dr. Scholl's slide-on tennis shoes may be really comfortable for walking around malls, but they really suck when it comes to walking on large gravel.

c. Steel plates that fall forward only need one bullet. Nine shots will only keep them standing up. *ahem*Lars*ahem*

IV) SIGs worn in super thin IWB Kydex holsters need more padding or time to cool down after shooting 45 rounds.

e. My bullets are allergic to steel plates. Lars's ammo, however, seems to think the plates are magnetic and just fly right out of his gun into the plate. Nevermind that we were shooting the same ammo.

6) I need to figure out how to make a 3:00ish carry comfortable. 5:00 carry makes people nervous and has an easy potential to break the 180.

Photos coming eventually.

Definitely a BIG thank you to Obijohn and Rhino for making today so much fun!!! :D

Glad you made it. The September match may grow to six stages. Round count was a little low today.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks to Obijohn for stepping in and filling my shoes as RO. My wife makes very few demands or requests so I felt complelled to fulfill her request to meet her and her parents for lunch since it was her birthday.

Shooting through does not really lend itself to a good performance either.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    For anyone who is about to tell me to get back to the scores, I am taking a little break! I will be done soon and have the results posted at United States Practical Shooting Association and e-mail as soon as possible after that.

Thanks to everyone who helped make it another safe and fun day. It was good having three new shooters from INGO with us, so thanks to Pami, W9ZEB, and Fenway for being safe and fun people! They all did very well.

Pami, by the way, could give lessons on how to reload quickly. Once she gets a mag pouch or two for her belt, she's going to be on fire!

I owe GetA2J a huge apology for making his truck the latest victim of my bad driving. I AM SORRY!

Furthermore, I apologize to the newbies for my sucka** performance today. On the bright side, you got to see plenty of my mistakes and learn from them!

Pami ... I recommend you get a dropped/offset holster from Blade Tech holsters, knives and tactical gear for military, law enforcement, shooting competition and hunting. or something similar which will let you wear your holster at 3:00 or even a little forward or rearward if you choose. It will make your range time a lot easier for you, whether in matches, practice, classes, or whatever. We can talk about your carry holster too if you like. Just let me know.

My reloads only looked fast 'cause everything else I did was in slow motion. :): On the other hand, I did try to pay attention to some of the things Mr. VanVlymen has taught me. :D (Still working on that front sight acquisition, though... Even with John chanting "frontsightfrontsightfrontsight" at me in the last stage, I was more focused on not hitting the white targets.. which of course made me hit the white targets. FRONT SIGHT!!!)

We're going to the 1500 some time next weekend, so I'm hoping i'll be able to try on a few holsters there. Mag holders are definitely on the shopping list. I have OWB clips for my Raven, and Lars is going to change those out for me, and that might make all the difference. The 3:00 is bad because of where my waistband sits -- the gun/holster digs into my hip bone. A little behind the hip and there's more cushion. :):

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    If you want to see funny looks, go to any restaurant with people in it with obijohn, Coach, and our buddy the G-Man. Funny looks are the least of what we get. BigCraig can vouch for this.

true, so true. we could sit quietly, hands in lap, and STILL get the looks with that crew. says obijohn as he depress abdomen, glancing down. hehe.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i think now we have more witnesses to the friendly welcome new shooters get when coming to wvpps. of the three new shooters we had from ingo, pami is the most coachable (even though i could NOT get her to look at the front sight), lars needs pami to teach him the difference between a speed reload and a reload from slide lock, hehe, and fen is entirely too serious. smile, dude. hehe. but fen can really shoot! the shooting from all three was impressive.

glad all had a good time, really looking foward to the next time.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    That live round dropped on the ground.... is insurance.
    I've had the slide not lock back on the P30 enough to know if I put a magazine in, Rack the slide.

It's a real bummer when you insert the mag, aim the gun, press the trigger thinking you had a live round left, and hear the thundering CLICK that should have gone BANG.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    And I'd agree with John and Co. These guys did a great job of helping us out as FNGs.

New Shooters Meeting was about 20 min before the match started. The range officer commands we would need to know where explained to us. What safety rules we needed to know such as Don't Break the 180, Don't AD/ND, Don't load until instructed by the RO. Unload and show clear (what that means, how to do it safely) and a few others that are slipping my mind at the moment. Lots to absorb in a short period of time.

I enjoyed my first time out to a USPSA match, and I'm looking forward to the next.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We're going to the 1500 some time next weekend, so I'm hoping i'll be able to try on a few holsters there. Mag holders are definitely on the shopping list. I have OWB clips for my Raven, and Lars is going to change those out for me, and that might make all the difference. The 3:00 is bad because of where my waistband sits -- the gun/holster digs into my hip bone. A little behind the hip and there's more cushion. :):

That's exactly why I recommend a dropped/offset holster. They were originally designed specifically for women to accommodate their respective build. It has since become something of a "gamer" holster for some, but it's still the best way to go for people with hips.

When you wear your carry holster behind that way, you may want to add a little forward cant (the top of the gun tilted forward) to make it easier to draw.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    This was an excellent event. Extremely well run and everyone at WV was incredibly friendly and accommodating from the moment we got there. You could tell there were a lot of good old friends there.... but everyone was willing to say hello and help the new guy. I'd say this is a great place to shoot your first match if you are looking to do so.

I really appreciated the new shooter meeting. It helps to know what to do and WHAT NOT to do before you go to shoot. The gentlemen who conducted the meeting did a great job.

Big thanks to obijohn for being our RO / Squad leader (I guess you would call it?) John was a huge help and very patient with us "new to USPSA shooters". Everything was explained in detail, plenty of time for questions, there was no rush, and it was very safe. Also he gave us a bunch of tips along the way. Thanks John. You made it a great day for us.

I also got to shoot my first "Race Glock" with a red dot. uhh this is the first Glock I have ever shot that had a malfunction the first time I tried it. Interesting experience :D :):. I guess it was probably me? :) Thanks for letting me shoot it John!

Great to see Rhino and GetA2J again!

Mike

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Results are now posted at United States Practical Shooting Association.

I'll have them in e-mail as soon as I complete the administrative stuff, then get the results formatted so you can read them.

Edit to add: I just sent the results via e-mail. If you didn't receive them, send your e-mail address to me either by e-mail or by private message. If you have e-mail at the domain insightbb.com, your ISP is rejecting all of my mail. You may wish to get a different e-mail address to receive e-mail from WVPPS.

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks to Obijohn for stepping in and filling my shoes as RO.

no worries, coach. we're a team, right? i will admit i wish you'd have been there so i could have been a bit lazier, ummm, had more time to coach the new shooters, yeah, that's it, help the new shooters. hehehe.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I also got to shoot my first "Race Glock" with a red dot. uhh this is the first Glock I have ever shot that had a malfunction the first time I tried it. Interesting experience :D :):. I guess it was probably me? :) Thanks for letting me shoot it John!

Mike

it was you, dude. hehe. i need to point out, that it's a work in progress. still to come is some more work on the trigger, comped barrel, mag well, a slide racker, some machining on the slide and optic mount, ....... you just wait, you think it malfunctioned today, wait until i'm finished with it. hehe.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Pictures!!!

Photography by Pami :: 39 - USPSA at Riley - Thumbnail View

oddly enough, GetA2J wasn't in our group, so I only managed to snag one of photo of him, and it's one of my favorites:
    pic%20512.jpg

Obijohn was my second favorite group of pictures because he's always moving:
    pic%20154.jpg

There's more in the gallery if y'all are interested. :)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    no worries, coach. we're a team, right? i will admit i wish you'd have been there so i could have been a bit lazier, ummm, had more time to coach the new shooters, yeah, that's it, help the new shooters. hehehe.

Team. Absolutely. I just don't like it when I cannot pull my own weight.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I clearly need practice..... and Mag Pouches.
    watching the videos of me shooting, I struggled to collect spare mags.

Good idea!

They'll be beneficial for daily carry and for classes as well.

Plus, if you don't get a mag pouch or two, you'll never catch-up to Pami's reload speed! :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom