• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Unfortunately they moved my polling place from a location that I could legally carry to a location that I would deem questionable so I chose to err on caution.

One of the campaigners outside the building called me a "terrorist" due to the bandanna I wear around my face under my motorcycle helmet.

They moved mine from a "questionable location" (courthouse) to one that would be no problem. Although I did OC while voting at the courthouse....

One of the campaigners tried to hand me a flier, I told him no thank you and gave my standard response, "If I didn't know who I was voting for when I'm walking in, that's pretty sad and I probably shouldn't be voting", he looked at me for a minute and said true.

I'm pretty sure the kids working check in at my polling place were still in high school... Either that or I'm getting old

No high school kids this time, but there have been some during the general elections where I am. One knew my son and made a comment about my OC to him. It was a positive comment. :D I like my town sometimes......

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    One of the campaigners outside the building called me a "terrorist" due to the bandanna I wear around my face under my motorcycle helmet.

Isn't there a law about campaigners threatening or intimidating voters at the polls? Seems like you could have made that person's day a bit unpleasant.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Isn't there a law about campaigners threatening or intimidating voters at the polls? Seems like you could have made that person's day a bit unpleasant.

Thought they just had to stay 50ft+ away. If there was a law, the New Black Panthers should have been.... ah what am I saying.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thought they just had to stay 50ft+ away. If there was a law, the New Black Panthers should have been.... ah what am I saying.

Here's the Indiana law. The internet lawyers can decide if name-calling on the way out of the polls would constitute an actionable cause.

IC 3-14-3-21.5 Version a
    Voter intimidation
    Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 21.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally intimidates, threatens, or coerces an individual for:
    (1) voting or attempting to vote;
    (2) urging or aiding another individual to vote or attempt to vote; or
    (3) exercising any power or duty under this title concerning registration or voting;
    commits voter intimidation, a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.103-2005, SEC.40.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My location is in an elementary school so no carry for me. Middle-aged women working the sign in table. One was nice, one was hateful.:twocents:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    When we had our pollworker training this year, nobody mentioned firearms. In the past, we had been told that the ONLY people allowed to have a firearm in a polling place was a member of the sheriff's department who was on duty. Perhaps that was incorrect and why we weren't told about it this time?? I may have to ask and see what kind of answer I get.

Those campaigning outside of the polls are supposed to stay at least 50 feet from the end of the rope/chute where people are entering the building. I had one campaign group that caused us issues throughout the day, and I had to remind them several times to stay away from the chute. I later had to call a member of the election board to come out and ask them to move their vehicles. They had a dozen vehicles parked in our lot and were blocking access to the handicap spots and making it difficult for people to get to the building. They also made it appear we were busy, which I believe caused people who may have been on a tight schedule to skip stopping to vote due to thinking there would be a line based on the number of cars in the lot. As soon as they actually moved their vehicles, we started getting voters coming in again. I was rather glad to see that their tactics were apparently having an effect on voters...a negative one for them. Their candidate lost by a fairly significant margin, and based on voter comments, I think their behavior had a lot to do with it. Several people stated they needed to see a sample ballot so they could decide who to vote for because they had a sudden change of heart or had second thoughts about what they had planned to do when they came in. I was told by others that the same campaign had people at several precincts doing the same sort of thing there.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

When we had our pollworker training this year, nobody mentioned firearms. In the past, we had been told that the ONLY people allowed to have a firearm in a polling place was a member of the sheriff's department who was on duty. Perhaps that was incorrect and why we weren't told about it this time?? I may have to ask and see what kind of answer I get.

Those campaigning outside of the polls are supposed to stay at least 50 feet from the end of the rope/chute where people are entering the building.

If firearms weren't addressed in your training you may want to contact Guy Relford, he was the attorney that represented Clay Edinger for being denied entrance to the polls for having an OC handgun. I believe that part of the settlement was that all poll workers were to be instructed that firearms are allowed at the polls absent other law ie schools, daycare, etc.

And do either of you have a cite for the 50 ft rule? Best I can find in the IC is no electioneering within the chute or the polls. We have people standing right up to the steps in my area.
    IC 3-14-3-16
    Electioneering
    Sec. 16. (a) As used in this section, "electioneering" includes expressing support or opposition to any candidate or political party or expressing approval or disapproval of any public question in any manner that could reasonably be expected to convey that support or opposition to another individual. The term includes wearing or displaying an article of clothing, sign, button, or placard that states the name of any political party or includes the name, picture, photograph, or other likeness of any currently elected federal, state, county, or local official. The term does not include expressing support or opposition to a candidate or a political party or expressing approval or disapproval of a public question in:
    (1) material mailed to a voter; or
    (2) a telephone or an electronic communication with a voter.
    (b) A person who knowingly does any electioneering:
    (1) on election day within:
    (A) the polls; or
    (B) the chute;

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If firearms weren't addressed in your training you may want to contact Guy Relford, he was the attorney that represented Clay Edinger for being denied entrance to the polls for having an OC handgun. I believe that part of the settlement was that all poll workers were to be instructed that firearms are allowed at the polls absent other law ie schools, daycare, etc.

And do either of you have a cite for the 50 ft rule? Best I can find in the IC is no electioneering within the chute or the polls. We have people standing right up to the steps in my area.
    IC 3-14-3-16
    Electioneering
    Sec. 16. (a) As used in this section, "electioneering" includes expressing support or opposition to any candidate or political party or expressing approval or disapproval of any public question in any manner that could reasonably be expected to convey that support or opposition to another individual. The term includes wearing or displaying an article of clothing, sign, button, or placard that states the name of any political party or includes the name, picture, photograph, or other likeness of any currently elected federal, state, county, or local official. The term does not include expressing support or opposition to a candidate or a political party or expressing approval or disapproval of a public question in:
    (1) material mailed to a voter; or
    (2) a telephone or an electronic communication with a voter.
    (b) A person who knowingly does any electioneering:
    (1) on election day within:
    (A) the polls; or
    (B) the chute;

I don't have a cite for the 50' rule. That is interesting on the carry info though and I will be sure to ask about that before the general election. It was not an issue as I saw nobody carrying (that was OC at least) in our precinct. It may be in the online training or other info at this site. Secretary of State : Election Division: Election Division

Iceandfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    7 miles from Medora, IN
    Being a poll worker at this election, I was able to remind the other workers that it was not illegal for armed voters to enter the fire station. Since we are in a rural area, it was easy for everyone to agree with me. ( I think it was the only time Tuesday when we all agreed.) :-)

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I CCed at my voting site, so no problem there. What was interesting had nothing to do with the weapon.

After the senior lady at the table confirmed my identity and that I was in the correct voting site, she commented, "And you are here to exercise your privilege to vote."

I replied with a quiet, but emphatic voice, "I am here to exercise my RIGHT to vote. It is guaranteed by the Constitution and paid for by the blood of America's finest."

She did not look up at me again, nor did she have anything to say. Neither did the other person at the table.

She was old enough to know better.

Top Bottom