Visiting a known felon's property and carrying... would it be legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    If I was to visit a known felon’s property: Please cite IC (if you happen to know of any)

1) Am I legal to carry (with LTCH)? As I understand it, the answer is yes.

2) Is it legal (for the felon) for me to carry (gun never leaves my possession).

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Perfectly legal. The felon is not in possession of the firearm, you are. Ask yourself this; would it be illegal for you to possess firearms in your home if a felon came to visit? Is it illegal for you to possess a firearm at the grocery store while a felon is also shopping there? No difference.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have heard of this being an issue with police officers in vehicle's before. As far as legality as long as the felon does not have access to the firearm it is perfectly legal. It should be the same in the house as in a car. However I have still heard of the felon being arrested in this situation. Not sure of the out come. If I remember correctly I read a post on here a couple years ago about this happening in the South Bend area. We all are familiar with what goes on in the South Bend area though. Take it for what it is.

Tay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Plymouth
    I have heard of this being an issue with police officers in vehicle's before. As far as legality as long as the felon does not have access to the firearm it is perfectly legal. It should be the same in the house as in a car. However I have still heard of the felon being arrested in this situation. Not sure of the out come. If I remember correctly I read a post on here a couple years ago about this happening in the South Bend area. We all are familiar with what goes on in the South Bend area though. Take it for what it is.

South Bend is a sketchy place... :popcorn:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I saw it on an episode of "Northwoods Law" where a (known to the CO, as he is the one that busted him!) was in a pick up and there was a loaded rifle in the seat between them.....As I remember what the CO said, "It's tough to prove..."

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I remember many years ago being at the house of a man who'd been stupid as a kid and had a felony on his record.
    His wife had a nice firearms collection.
    Everything was all legal with this situation.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    If I were to visit a known felon I'm definitely carrying. As a matter of fact it's one of the reasons I started carrying in the first place. I used to be an Army Recruiter in Indianapolis. One evening I went to meet a high school kids parents at their house on the near east side (rough neck of the woods). Dad was a weirdo and I later learned that he was on parole for 2nd degree murder. The guy was "anti government" and didn't want to talk to me but mom finally convinced him to let me in. The situation was very uncomfortable and I decided I would never put myself in a vulnerable position like that again so I started taking my .45 with me.

Top Bottom