• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Great idea - thanks for the email address.

Just sent this to them:

I live in southern Indiana and was planning to drive through on my way to visit relatives in NC. I am licensed to carry a concealed weapon in Indiana. As a result of your Attorney General’s decision to not respect my rights, I will not be able to visit your otherwise lovely state. I will choose another route to the south where my rights are respected. Not one dime of my tourism money will be spent in Virginia – as I had originally planned.

I am not sending this to be snarky – but merely to let you know whom you may thank for hanging out the “Not welcome” sign. Where I am not welcome, I will not go.

Kind regards,

[AP]

I also have family in NC. Email sent.

(BTW, you are not "licensed to carry a concealed weapon in Indiana", you are Licensed to Carry how you see fit :) )

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    This is just his first step in disarming the masses. Stay tuned.

It started long ago, one place is across the Potomac River in Maryland. Incroching gun laws started there in the late 1800's.. And went into overdrive along with the 1968 GCA..

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm researching if anyone can open carry in Virginia or just residents. I'm trying to find as much information as possible.

Only concealment is specifically infringed in VA. No permission needed to carry openly in the commonwealth.

Also, does this mean those 25 states will rescind their reciprocity agreement with Virginia?

Some may, but IN will still recognize VA permits.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Only concealment is specifically infringed in VA. No permission needed to carry openly in the commonwealth.

Some may, but IN will still recognize VA permits.

Be careful with Open Carry in Virginia, NOT all municipality's allow Open Carry. It's not a blanket law in Virginia..

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Be careful with Open Carry in Virginia, NOT all municipality's allow Open Carry. It's not a blanket law in Virginia..

Cite, please. I believe they have statewide preemption.

ETA: see Virginia statute § 15.2-915

Last edited:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    A more productive solution might be to contact their tourism bureau and let them know that their AG has just made visiting VA impossible for you.

Done. My email:

My family and I used to vacation in the tidewater area every summer. We and a group of our friends rented houses and spent piles of money while enjoying the beaches, off shore and in shore fishing, dining out, etc.

Your Attorney General has jut decided that I’m no longer a responsible gun owner and I am no longer welcome in your state.

North Carolina and the outer banks, here we come!

Too bad for Virginia. I won’t be the only law abiding citizen that won’t be back. A real shame.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Cite, please. I believe they have statewide preemption.

And yes, I'll back up alittle and Virginia does have preemption laws, and I lived across the river over 40 years. I'll say its gennerally not a happy experience to walk around most of Northern Virginia Open Carrying a firearm..
    If you walk around Arlington, Tyson's, Fairfax, Old Town Alexandria expect to be stopped and questioned.
    Northern Virginia is not the Conservative place it once was, it has folded into part of the Metro Region of Washington DC.. MD, DC and VA is just not a gun friendly area any longer.
    Maryland has open carry long gun, is anybody willing to walk around Annapolis and see how well it works out ?? LOL..

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The AG is playing politics and tries to make it look non-political by spouting bull-:poop: reasoning. Not fooling anyone here. Maybe over there but not here.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm still listening to the crickets chirping waiting for my response from the Minnesota Dept of Public Safety for when they pulled the same stunt earlier this year.

I hope you guys have better luck with Virginia.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am not a fan of national reciprocity because I see this a State matter and not Fed. I am quickly changing my mind as common sense is becoming less common.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I am not a fan of national reciprocity because I see this a State matter and not Fed. I am quickly changing my mind as common sense is becoming less common.

I'm starting to think the same way, If the Feds would lock up something as simple as The Road Money, National Reciprocity would come to fruition very quickly.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

One, states do not now, and did not ever, have the authority to infringe upon the right to keep and bear arms. Two, under the fourteenth amendment, denying a right to non-residents that is allowed to residents is an obvious violation of the constitutional protection of equal protection under the law. Three, all a federal reciprocity law needs to say is that any state that licenses residents to carry firearms must recognize the state-issued carry licenses of non-residents. No more, no less. There is no violation of state sovereignty or of a state-reserved authority.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    One, states do not now, and did not ever, have the authority to infringe upon the right to keep and bear arms. Two, under the fourteenth amendment, denying a right to non-residents that is allowed to residents is an obvious violation of the constitutional protection of equal protection under the law. Three, all a federal reciprocity law needs to say is that any state that licenses residents to carry firearms must recognize the state-issued carry licenses of non-residents. No more, no less. There is no violation of state sovereignty or of a state-reserved authority.

I am OK with that. Here is to hoping the fallout of gay marriage will include these discussions. But I doubt it will.

Anytime the Feds are involved with any type of decision making I have my doubts.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I am OK with that. Here is to hoping the fallout of gay marriage will include these discussions. But I doubt it will.

Anytime the Feds are involved with any type of decision making I have my doubts.

Yeah, there's always that language about compelling government interest. My cynical side will tend to go along with the bet tha blather about fundamental right to marriage and needs for the state to ensure public safety will be enough compelling interest to shunt aside reciprocity....especially with another democrat appointed SCOTUS justice or two.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Glad I renewed my Utah permit since it sounds like that will still be valid. Of course, it's just another piece of plastic, I didn't really learn anything new in order to get it. Oh well, Minnesota was a bigger let down since Utah won't work there either.

Top Bottom