• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    A guy I work with came in today and asked me if I wanted some FF Black powder. I said sure why not. He presented me with two pounds that are full cans. I about couldn't believe what he give me.

I looked up the Dupont BP and here's what I found. I still haven't found exactly how old the Goex on the right is but i'm thinking somewhere around the same time period. This Dupont is somewhere around a 100 to 200 years old and the can is full. If anyone has anymore information about this powder, let me know.

Here's a article on the Dupont Black Powder I found on the net.

Making Black Powder in the DuPont Company Powder Yards
    E. I. du Pont founded his black powder works on Brandywine Creek near Wilmington, Delaware in 1802. The DuPont Company black powder yards made powder for over 100 years, and supplied over half of the gunpowder used by the Union Army in the Civil War. This tour will explain the processes of making blasting powder and gunpowder produced by the DuPont Company in the black powder yards on the Brandywine from 1802 to 1921.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Hah, that's so awesome! Would look real nice in a shadow box with some other classic shooting paraphernalia.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Hmm, now you got me thinking. That would be awesome to set it up in a shadow box display. I have plenty of black powder rifle and pistol paraphernalia to use for such a project.

If you do so, I have a small adjustable antique powder dipper I would happily donate to the effort. Looks like this but with a prettier handle.

Had it for years and it has just sat in a drawer. Came with a bunch of stuff at an auction I think.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Nice find! I have an identical can of the Goex. I'd guess from the 50's or 60's. Note the weight in grams. Mine is all rusty and the powder was caked inside. I had to use a plastic stick to scrape it all out. Even poked throug the can in some cases. After it was all out and the bigger chunks ground up, it all went BOOM!

ol' poke

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    With the research done so far I found that the Goex is dated from the 60's according to the lot number. The Dupont has no lot number but a few experienced people from the land of the holy black noted that the Dupont is from just after WWII in the 40's. I guess they really know their cans!

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    That's cool! My dad was into black powder pistols. I inherited his "stuff" after he passed away. To my surprise, he had lead ingot, molds, etc. for BP weapons. I was very pleased to also recieve about 8 lbs. of FFF Goex (from the 1980's), along with a few lbs. of Pyrodex. I still shoot the weapons in the summer. :D

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I can tell you the Geox isn't that old. I have an identical can from the late 1980s. Gr. stands for grams, not grains which is metric so I would guess both are fairly recent.

Keep in mind that at most rendezvous everything is supposed to look pre-1840 so an old-style can would be acceptable while a green zombie-killer can of powder would not be.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Definitely vintage, from back in the days when there were 454 grains to the pound instead of 7000 like there are today. Well, that's inflation for ya.

The 454 GR on the can stand for grams (not grains); 1 pound = 454 grams, and 1 pound = 7000 grains. Grains and grams are not the same.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    That DuPont can is no where near 200 years old. DP still offered BP up into the early 70s when the BP plant was sold to GOEX. That Goex can looks just like the kind I had up til the early 90s.

Top Bottom