• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Dead Duck is in need of Dead Deer!

Other states I've lived in, I have always gotten venison from friends or hunted it myself. Most the butchers there would also except your donated meat, process it and just charge anyone that needs the meat, that fee. Sometimes we would pay for the processing but just leave it there for families that can't afford the fee. We always had our freezers full of that and other meats from neighbors kids that were in 4-H and we had sponsored for their pigs, cows, and whatever.

I now live in northern Indiana.
    I also have an injury that keeps me from hunting and puts a huge dent in our budget. Being as I didn't grow up here, generally nobody knows me. Which can be great except that I have no hunter friends, I don't know anyone in 4-H, I'm not in with "The Know" people for best places and contacts out here. Well my kids have mentioned venison a few times and still love deer so I have saved up and purchased 2 chest freezers again. (had to sell the other freezers before the last move) Great, so I'm ready, right?

I asked around and was told to check with Yoder's Meats in Shipshewana and John's Butcher in Nappanee.
    So I made a trip to Yoder's and found that they don't do or have any processed deer available and won't like...forever...but one of their butchers does hunt. Ya, well, that doesn't really help me.

So I took a trip to John's Butcher and found that yes. They do process deer and have deals with meat not picked up or extra or whatever. Great, so I picked up as much as they had there at the time. Unfortunately it was last years season from a non-pick-up and it wasn't even the whole animal somehow. OK, I still paid the full price processing fee because dammit, my kids want dead deer. I was also put on some list for getting any venison from this years season. This seems promising.

The meat was OK kinda, I could tell it wasn't real fresh but that's what BBQ sauce is for. It was still in the hunting season and I got all ready, and told my kids about getting some more deer while still making that old deer meat last. When I get more venison I had also planned on buying other meats from the same place to complete the freezers but the deer came first.

That call never came and I have visited them several times in the last 3 years with no success but was told that I was still on some never ending list and my phone number is correct. (I checked) My freezers now have a little chicken and lots of bread and one package of old ground venison from that original purchase that I keep in there just to remind me to find dead deers. I've basically given up on them.

Here I am on INGO to see if anyone here knows how I can get some venison. Have freezers - Will travel. I'm not looking for handouts but I would like to know the proper way to get some meat when you can't hunt anymore. It's just a totally new problem that I never thought I've have. It's gotten so bad that my youngest girl last Christmas was opening a cold present and ask if it was a deer. (it was something from the fridge) :n00b:

I have even checked out the disabled hunting guide where you can hunt from a vehicle? On service roads or something like that? But then how would I ever chase it down if it doesn't drop right next to the truck. Seems like a lot of work for others when I took the shot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You may have luck talking to some local farmers. Where I live there is a farmer that does a deer drive to rid of some of them so they don't eat so much of his crop, and he allows people to take what they want as far as meat goes.

I also worked on a farm in college, and "we" meaning someone who worked at the farm out hunting always shot a doe each year for an older guy who couldn't hunt. He was a neighbor or land owner were farmed I don't remember, but we'd just dress it and take it to him. He would then just take it to the butcher pay to have it done and pick it up when finished up. While a nice thing to do, there has to be someone out there if you met the right guy. Sadly that's all I've got.

Also something I just thought of, but at one of the processing places which is also a check in station I happened to notice also sells meat. I don't know how good of a deal it is or anything like that but it sounds like you can get something similar near you. But the stuff they have is fresh.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Make friends with some of the local deputies/dnrs and have them call you when one gets hit but not destroyed. I would try to help you out this fall but I'm quite a ways away. Do you make it down to the Indy area much?

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You may have luck talking to some local farmers. Where I live there is a farmer that does a deer drive to rid of some of them so they don't eat so much of his crop, and he allows people to take what they want as far as meat goes.

I also worked on a farm in college, and "we" meaning someone who worked at the farm out hunting always shot a doe each year for an older guy who couldn't hunt. He was a neighbor or land owner were farmed I don't remember, but we'd just dress it and take it to him. He would then just take it to the butcher pay to have it done and pick it up when finished up. While a nice thing to do, there has to be someone out there if you met the right guy. Sadly that's all I've got.

Also something I just thought of, but at one of the processing places which is also a check in station I happened to notice also sells meat. I don't know how good of a deal it is or anything like that but it sounds like you can get something similar near you. But the stuff they have is fresh.

I will check with some farmers out here to see if they do or know of something like that and I'll visit a few deer stations.

Make friends with some of the local deputies/don't and have them call you when one gets hit but not destroyed. I would try to help you out this fall but I'm quite a ways away. Do you make it down to the Indy area much?

Mmm...County cops. I can do that.
    I actually do get down south. A handful of times a year to pick up supplies and things from Craigslist and INGO. I try to make the trip count by making a day of errands out of it. I picked up the freezers I have now from down in Indy somewhere.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Most counties have a "hit deer call list", usually you just have to call county dispatch and have your name/number added to the list.

Really....
    I will look into that. I wonder if I could respond with lights and siren going? It would be critical to get it butched ASAP.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The cop list is a good idea, and works around my area. Get to know the night deputies and show up ASAP after a call. (like within reasonable drive time, not drive time plus thirty minutes) If you can get your name directly to the road deputies, that may help as well. This will vary by department, of course. It doesn't hurt to check-in with dispatch every once in a while to ensure you are "on the list" either.

If you want to do it more by chance, get a scanner and just wait for a report to come out. Show up and see if anyone else has claimed it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you're on a county kill list or somebody is going to gift you one they shot.........it's still best IMHO to cut it at home.
    If you like ground (and don't have a grinder), see how much a processor will charge you to grind your non steak goodies.
    Never again will I let some SOB screw me out of my straps.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I used to give processors a fair chunk of business.

Now that just a bud and I hunt, and my kids don't live at home.............cutting one in bow and one in gun is gonna be relaxing.

Self check kinda nice too, if you live far from a processor (and they had odd hours).
    That kind of hassle under the old system..............glad to see some changes.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom