Vendor Selling Oil Filter Adapter at 1500 (Makeshift Suppressor)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thrown Hammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Northern
    The way I understand it is until there is a hole in the oil filter it is just an oil filter. If it is threaded on the gun and has a hole in it, then without a stamp you are in possession of an unregistered suppressor.

I do not own, or have any interest in owning "solvent traps" for the record.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have seen one that the guy had threaded to a pistol barrel. He used a big filter, like a Fram PH-1 for old Fords. It worked pretty well. The user made a big deal that even though the purchase price was pretty cheap, that he spent the money for the tax stamp to avoid being Tyrone's wife in a federally supplied dorm room. Kind of fun, but since it completely blocked any hope of using sights to aim, I did not see many applications for it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm still waiting to see which of these dealers of threaded adapters start selling 2 1/2 inch tall sight sets...ya know, for people with sore necks.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    With the ATFs history of "this is legal, wait no it's not" I wouldn't want to be caught with one when they change their mind on what constitutes constructive possession.

I'm really surprised they haven't changed their mind about slide fire stocks or pistol "stabilizer braces" yet.

I have no need for a solvent trap or jail time, so I won't be purchasing even if it is legal to own the adapter.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    You guys are worried about something you don't even need. I saw that Marky Mark movie where he was a sniper and all he needed was an empty water bottle. Headshots from a boat with no noise. Water bottles.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You guys are worried about something you don't even need. I saw that Marky Mark movie where he was a sniper and all he needed was an empty water bottle. Headshots from a boat with no noise. Water bottles.
    He actually used something that would work for a 22lr though, and the bottle wasn't empty. The movie was Shooter, and it's one of my favs :)

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    With the ATFs history of "this is legal, wait no it's not" I wouldn't want to be caught with one when they change their mind on what constitutes constructive possession.

I'm really surprised they haven't changed their mind about slide fire stocks or pistol "stabilizer braces" yet.

I have no need for a solvent trap or jail time, so I won't be purchasing even if it is legal to own the adapter.

You mean how I own a couple of 10-22's with some assorted stocks, and because I own a Ruger Charger I could be in constructive possession of a SBR... yea bullcrap like that...

Gunner

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The way I understand it is until there is a hole in the oil filter it is just an oil filter. If it is threaded on the gun and has a hole in it, then without a stamp you are in possession of an unregistered suppressor.

I do not own, or have any interest in owning "solvent traps" for the record.

Where in the statutory definition of "silencer" is there mention of a hole? I understand your logic, but it is not how the law is written. Hole or no hole, if it was intended to quiet the report of a firearm, it is a silencer.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Where in the statutory definition of "silencer" is there mention of a hole? I understand your logic, but it is not how the law is written. Hole or no hole, if it was intended to quiet the report of a firearm, it is a silencer.

Correct. Specifically the law states:

(24) The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.
    18 USCS § 921

Sounds to me like the manufacturers and sellers are treading a very fine line.....and the buyers actually using for this just hopped right over it.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Didn't someone make an adapter for 2-liter bottles back in the 80s? I seem to recall they did and the ATF eventually ruled those adapters to be silencers. My memory may be hazy though.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    We played around with an oil filter on our 22 rifle a long time ago.

Can you say that a little louder this time...and into my lapel?

atf1.jpg

Top Bottom