• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    So the varmint bug has bit me again. Seems as if there are more than plenty of options for rifles to do what I want. Looking for logical and gut opinions both for G-hog and 'yote guns. Have been bouncing between 22-250, .223,.243 and .270. Considering the .270 for a dual purpose gun since I have rel;atives out in Montana and the possibility to hunt prong's comes into play. Savage, Weatherby, Rem...with the caliber options just compounds my quandry... what to do.... what to do... Not looking for an AR, more a bolt with heavy barrel, or Varmint barrel if I go the .270 route.

"So what you're telling me is a grenade isn't legal caliber?"

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    I haven't thought about a specific budget on this. Would much prefer a second hand unit vs. new, not only to save money but I prefer a rifle that has character. Also going this route, i can get some feedback from the previous owner on what the rifle liked, and then adapt from there. 500-750..ish would be a good start. But then again if a once in a lifetime option comes along.......

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    for the game you are describing the 243 is the obvious answer to me. the 243 has a heavy enough high bc bullet to cut the wind for long range coyote. but its also fast enough to not drop really fast.

a 243 is also plenty for pronghorn so it serves a dual prupose.

as far as what gun if you plan to upgrade as time goes on and build up go with any rem 700. the 700 has tons of aftermarket parts avaible.

if you are going to keep the rifle stock go savage accutrigger

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana

243 is plenty of gun for either one. That would be my choice for sure.

You will most likely be doing more varmint hunting than speed goats too, and there are some awesome varmint bullets for the 243. I like the barnes varmint grenade and the sierra varmint bullets.

Last edited:

Tirador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Otwell,IN
    22-250 is the obvious choice w/Dicks Sporting Goods just ending a sale on Rem. 700 ADL in 22-250 w/varmit barrel, and a 4x 12 Rem. scope for $449. After tax thats $481 then you got a 15$ gift cert. from Dicks. this was in evensville IN. Look out Yotes!!!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    22-250 is the obvious choice w/Dicks Sporting Goods just ending a sale on Rem. 700 ADL in 22-250 w/varmit barrel, and a 4x 12 Rem. scope for $449. After tax thats $481 then you got a 15$ gift cert. from Dicks. this was in evensville IN. Look out Yotes!!!

is the 22-250 legal for pronghorn? its defintallt going to limit your range in the windy conditions out west

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    The only real problem with 22-250 is that the barrels are usually 1 in 14, so the real heavy bullets for long range shooting normally won't stabilize.

A bigger bullet doesn't need as much deviation from "normal" weight for its caliber to be effective at long range. The .243 and similar probably shine here.

If I was going to do a long action .22, I might go .220 Swift anyway.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The .243 Win or 6mm Rem will get the job done. Both are good dual purpose for varmint up to whitetails. The .22-250 might be hard to find in a twist that will stabilize the heavier bullets for pronghorn. I were going to do a lot of varmint shooting, I would lean toward the .223 or .22-250 with a heavy barrel and get something else for pronghorn.

If the occasional dead varmint is all that matters, and this will be your do-it-all hunting rifle, then I would definitely eliminate the .223 and .22-250 and get a bit bigger caliber...

The .243 and 6mm will do well, but if you think you might go as high as a .270, then the .25-06 and .260 would make formidable hunting companions for pronghorn. If you think you might hunt something larger than whitetail, then definitely the 7mm-08 or .270.

If varmints is the game, and occasionally do some pronghorn hunting, then as others have said, the .243 with proper loads is the way to go. If some day you need something bigger, the .243 due to it's popularity will be an easy sell.

If I had to narrow it to two for your stated purpose, then I would say .243 or .25-06. Here's why...

Of the calibers you listed, the .243 will be the easiest to find factory vamint and big game loads for, followed by the .25-06 and the 6mm Rem. It will be hard to find proper factory loads for pronghorn in .223 or .22-250. Likewise, finding factory varmint loads in .270 will be hard.

If I could have two rifles, my choices might be completely different.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    for the game you are describing the 243 is the obvious answer to me. the 243 has a heavy enough high bc bullet to cut the wind for long range coyote. but its also fast enough to not drop really fast.

a 243 is also plenty for pronghorn so it serves a dual prupose.

as far as what gun if you plan to upgrade as time goes on and build up go with any rem 700. the 700 has tons of aftermarket parts avaible.

if you are going to keep the rifle stock go savage accutrigger
    :yesway: This, and spend more money on glass than you do on the rifle. Lay on the hill and shoot dogs for a few hours through good glass, and your eyes will thank you.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Look hard at the Stevens 200 series. I just bought one in .223. Many feel that .223 is a little light for coyote, but with it's 1 in 9 twist, and a quality 60 gr. bullet it should do the trick. With the price of the Stevens you could get one in .223 and .270 and be under $700..:@ya: ...Duce<><

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    I've talked with a few other shooters outside of the forum and they suggested the 243 or 25-06. I guess I will continue to do my homework and wait for a "show and tell" day at the range..lol.. Leaning towards the .243 But want something in a second hand I believe. Garage sales, gun shows and auctions here I come.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've talked with a few other shooters outside of the forum and they suggested the 243 or 25-06. I guess I will continue to do my homework and wait for a "show and tell" day at the range..lol.. Leaning towards the .243 But want something in a second hand I believe. Garage sales, gun shows and auctions here I come.

the only 2 issues i have with the 25-06 or any of the 25 caliber rounds is.

1. if you dont reload ammo is very tough to find.

2. for some reason noone really suports them with good brass and bullets

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

Cool!! :yesway:

Vette, I hate to disagree, but there are several excellent factory loadings in .25-06, It may not something you may find at every WalMart, but I'll bet Gander Mountain has a half dozen choices on their shelves.

Federal alone has loads with Sierra GameKing, two different Nosler Ballistic Tips and the Partition, Speer Hot Core, and Barnes Triple Shock.

Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes — MidwayUSA

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Cool!! :yesway:

Vette, I hate to disagree, but there are several excellent factory loadings in .25-06, It may not something you may find at every WalMart, but I'll bet Gander Mountain has a half dozen choices on their shelves.

Federal alone has loads with Sierra GameKing, two different Nosler Ballistic Tips and the Partition, Speer Hot Core, and Barnes Triple Shock.

Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes — MidwayUSA

i was basically comenting on the fact that you cant go to walmart and buy it like you said. ive never been to gander they probably do carry it

Top Bottom