GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Do you mean foreign visitors as well? Because 40% of our illegal immigrants are from overstaying their visas. If we ban visitors, what do we do with our colleges who will loose about 1 million students that are on student visas?

They might have to actually compete for students then...might even lower prices for an education.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Forget about colleges.
    If you stop all visitors for 10 years the tourism industry will be over, millions of Americans will lose their jobs and the country will lose billions of dollars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_the_United_States

Many of those rich visitors come from Muslim countries btw, like the UAE.
    If they're not welcome they will spend their millions somewhere else.

Has anyone done a cost-benefit analysis of tourist dollars into economy versus increased security, police, troop and welfare expenditures, might not be that great of a deal if you're not looking for 'guest workers' ala Deutschland

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Honestly, that doesn't bother me. We need to better educate our own citizens anyways. That combined with the fact we get pimped by letting foreigners get educated in the best schools in the world, only to take their talents back to their respective nations. I don't see this as being a totally bad thing.
    Maybe if our kids were smarter. Colleges want the best students and we are a nation that stresses athletics. That starts at home.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm not sure that would happen on a scale that would really impact our economy. It anything, it will lead to shorter lines and lower prices ... WIN!

We're talking about over 77 million of foreign tourists visiting the US each year.
    That's a lot of people bringing billions of dollars into the country.
    Without those many hotels and restaurants will close.
    Airlines will suffer too and without international passengers the price of your domestic flights will go way up.

And we're only talking about tourism there.
    If you also keep people coming into the country for business then the economy will suffer even more.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Has anyone done a cost-benefit analysis of tourist dollars into economy versus increased security, police, troop and welfare expenditures, might not be that great of a deal if you're not looking for 'guest workers' ala Deutschland

What welfare expenditures? We're talking about tourism there, not refugees.
    I never had Uncle Sam pay for my meal or my hotel room or anything else when I traveled in the US.
    I don't remember gangs of tourirsts keeping the police busy.
    They were too busy keeping the locals in check.

The banks treat you really well when you withdraw foreign money to boost the the local economy.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What welfare expenditures? We're talking about tourism there, not refugees.

You were making the point that if we didn't keep the doors thrown open for mass Muslim migration, that Islam's richer adherents wouldn't grace our tourist destinations with their presence. Thus , especially if we're talking EU, the decreased expenditure on the dole and security would be part and parcel of stopping immigration from the ME. If you wish to count the putative loss from lack of tourism, I merely said you should balance that against those areas in which your expenditures would be lower - hence the term 'cost/benefit' analysis. If we are speaking of the US, having demonstrably fewer disgruntled immigrants likely to shoot the tourists or hack at them with knives might get us a nice bump in tourism from the EU, Asia and the rest of the civilized world

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Close purselves off for 10 years? That's when we can officially call ourselves a Nation of p*****s.

That was 1 idea. At 1st it did give a warm cozy feeling. But when looking deeper these other issue come into play.
    Still wondering what the answer to this issue is.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Maybe if our kids were smarter. Colleges want the best students and we are a nation that stresses athletics. That starts at home.
    Maybe if we took the education industry away from the leftists and went back to educating the kids a strictly academic curriculum rather than social justice propaganda...

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    And why did we do that? Because we lacked the practical knowledge to differentiate between loyal Americans of Japanese descent and members of the same community who were not loyal and might work against our interests as we geared up for war.

Why didn't we lock up thousands of Germans or Italians? Did we somehow have practical knowledge to differentiate between the loyal ones and the questionable ones in those groups?

Or did we not mess with them because the look like us, practice the same religions as us, you know, they looked like "good" Muricans.:patriot:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Nothing positive will come from reducing the pool of students, reduced competition.

Sure it could. If you believe competition is a good thing, having colleges compete for customers would be positive. It worked for TVs, cars, computers, why not education?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Colleges want money. Those professors don't work for free and those remodeling jobs, making campus into those car free utopias leftests dream of, costs lots of money. They get that money (in large part), not from the in-state tuition, discount paying students but from non-resident students. I know when I was going many moons ago, it was a cash cow for the school I was going to to fill those class rooms up with foreign students.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    OK then, ankle bracelets with tasers set to tingle very slightly 1 week before their visa is up. The fun starts when your visa expires.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Why didn't we lock up thousands of Germans or Italians? Did we somehow have practical knowledge to differentiate between the loyal ones and the questionable ones in those groups?

Or did we not mess with them because the look like us, practice the same religions as us, you know, they looked like "good" Muricans.:patriot:
    Japanese-Americans has a track record of cooperating with the enemy from the very beginning of the war:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niihau_incident

And they had spies in country:

That's in addition to all the Communist spies in the Roosevelt administration (though that was just an off-topic jab).

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

We did, I'm sure the Japanese were rounded up with a bit more urgency because they actually attacked our homeland though, that's why you really only hear about them being sent to internment camps.

German and Italian detainees | Densho Encyclopedia

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Japanese-Americans has a track record of cooperating with the enemy from the very beginning of the war:

And they had spies in country:

That's in addition to all the Communist spies in the Roosevelt administration (though that was just an off-topic jab).

Statistically invalid conclusion, sir. Yes, the incident influenced the internment decision, but it was a poor decision, if you ask me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom