• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Is everyone getting very vague responses from the ATF post-shutdown? I have called in twice, and both times was told I went “pending” on February 19, which is actually the day my check was cashed. Outside of that, they wont give me any additional info like they used to.

I wrote a letter to Donnelly and Walorski, as well as sending emails. I understand the wait with the NFA (still never happy with it), but I think it is a bit absurd that they refuse to give out any additional info. It makes it impossible to keep track of what is going over there, and keep good metrics to see how long each process is taking them, and find any suspect instances where they may deliberately be delaying the process.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Im glad Im not the only one. Based upon the data in NFA Tracker, I should have been approved right about the same time the shutdown happened (based on the last six months data with my examiner, 96.43% of people have received their stamp by now). It seriously would not take that much to create a web portal where we can punch in our info, see the status. We wouldnt even have to call, and they could get rid of 1-2 of the phone answering people to pay for it!

I doubt my letters and emails to Donnelie and Walorski will go anywhere, but I feel like they need to be aware of this, especially since they are telling people 15 months now. The NFA is a classic example of government waste that could be modified to be cheaper to run and faster for those waiting on paperwork.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Im glad Im not the only one. Based upon the data in NFA Tracker, I should have been approved right about the same time the shutdown happened (based on the last six months data with my examiner, 96.43% of people have received their stamp by now). It seriously would not take that much to create a web portal where we can punch in our info, see the status. We wouldnt even have to call, and they could get rid of 1-2 of the phone answering people to pay for it!

I doubt my letters and emails to Donnelie and Walorski will go anywhere, but I feel like they need to be aware of this, especially since they are telling people 15 months now. The NFA is a classic example of government waste that could be modified to be cheaper to run and faster for those waiting on paperwork.

I disagree with your statement of how the NFA is a example of government waste that could be modified to be cheaper to run. The ONLY way to modify the NFA would be to completely disband the NFA branch, I mean since the 2nd Amendment says shall not be infringed, and not, shall not be infringed except in cases of NFA items. Get rid of every gun law on the books and go back to Constitutional law.

Gunner

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    There's a post of ArFcOm stating that they are now not as free with the information.
    Also, a bunch of new folks got hired on. A couple examiners and maybe 8 or 10 assistants. 2 more supervisors.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    The "pending" status is all you ever get. You will be "Pending" until it hits the examiner's desk and then kicks out to the FBI for the database run. It's been this way for years. Their filing system is banker's boxes. They have no clue until it surfaces.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    The "pending" status is all you ever get. You will be "Pending" until it hits the examiner's desk and then kicks out to the FBI for the database run. It's been this way for years. Their filing system is banker's boxes. They have no clue until it surfaces.

Prior to the shutdown, you also got a second pending status, which was supposed to be 90 days until approval (basically on the examiners desk, just needs a signature and stamp). Now, you arent even getting that. If you call, they will say it was entered into the system on X date (which was the day my check was cashed) and that it would be 15 months from that date. No pending status, no second pending status.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Back in the '90's you were in the dark throughout the process and if you got approved in less than 2 years, it made you all warm and fuzzy. It looks like they're reverting to their old ways.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I dont give my number out, so when I saw an unknown call with a 574 area code, I was really hoping it was Midwest saying they had my stamp. It wasnt. It was however a call from Brian Spaulding at Jackie Walroski's office. They are going to actually take a look into it for me, and press the NFA a little bit on the issue of not processing applications in a timely matter, and now not providing status updates. He mentioned that they dont feel the executive branch has been paying enough attention to what the ATF is doing, and that wasnt acceptable. Im impressed that I actually got a followup, I certainly dont expect anything from my letter to Donnelly though :)

I asked specifically that he check on my paperwork, and that they ask the ATF to reinstate their previous system of providing status updates. I also suggested that they implement a real online tracking system like other agencies have, but I know that isnt something that can be accomplished overnight or from a few phone calls from a Congress person.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I dont give my number out, so when I saw an unknown call with a 574 area code, I was really hoping it was Midwest saying they had my stamp. It wasnt. It was however a call from Brian Spaulding at Jackie Walroski's office. They are going to actually take a look into it for me, and press the NFA a little bit on the issue of not processing applications in a timely matter, and now not providing status updates. He mentioned that they dont feel the executive branch has been paying enough attention to what the ATF is doing, and that wasnt acceptable. Im impressed that I actually got a followup, I certainly dont expect anything from my letter to Donnelly though :)

I asked specifically that he check on my paperwork, and that they ask the ATF to reinstate their previous system of providing status updates. I also suggested that they implement a real online tracking system like other agencies have, but I know that isnt something that can be accomplished overnight or from a few phone calls from a Congress person.
    I would rather it not be online at all. No need for someone to be able to hack something and figure out we have NFA items.

It's NOT very hard to pretend to be someone in the first place, it's DEFINITELY easier to pretend with a keyboard. Keep our data offline, keep it by phone or do away with NFA.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I called today, and was told they are running about 9 months from receiving your paperwork, til approval.

I got a form 1 back last night for a correction. It was originally sent in Feb 9th. I've got a form 4 that I'm still waiting on, mailed the same day. Should be some joy soon.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, that's some positive development then. 9 months is better than 15, though it's still unacceptable. This process needs a stem to stern overhaul (well, really, it needs to be gotten rid of, along with the Hughes Amendment, but that's not likely anytime soon unless we can get a good case into the Supreme Court and they don't chicken out).

Really, the whole thing should be done electronically and should have a very fast (if not instant) turn around, just like the normal background check. With electronic fingerprints, there is no reason this should take long at all. It's just queries to various databases, spitting out a result.

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    Well, that's some positive development then. 9 months is better than 15, though it's still unacceptable. This process needs a stem to stern overhaul (well, really, it needs to be gotten rid of, along with the Hughes Amendment, but that's not likely anytime soon unless we can get a good case into the Supreme Court and they don't chicken out).

Really, the whole thing should be done electronically and should have a very fast (if not instant) turn around, just like the normal background check. With electronic fingerprints, there is no reason this should take long at all. It's just queries to various databases, spitting out a result.

Maybe when Big Brother gets the Obamacare website done they can come over and whip this out real fast.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I talked to the ATF NFA the other day (unrelated question). I did ask what the timeline was now & was told that prior to now they were looking at about 9 months. If I were to start a transfer today, they are being told it will be 15 months!

Top Bottom