• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Hey y'all

I'm wanting to look into getting a 1911, but can't get myself to justify getting a single handgun for over 900 dollars. So i figured I'd look for a used one, but is there anything I have to watch out for?

I don't plan on shooting it all the time, just enough to keep it familiar. I have a glock that I wear when working, so this would be an off the clock gun. Not looking for all the bells and whistles, the 1911 is beautiful anyway you look at it.

anything you 1911 guys want to tell me let it all flood in, any info is appreciated! Thanks :ingo:

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    Look around and determine the features you want or you will be back in the market sooner than you think for a second or third (this may happen anyway). :ingo:

Best of Luck

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I usually purchase used handguns over new ones, except the G19 FDE that followed me home yesterday from Shooter521 @ Bradis....

Anyhow, I prefer used 1911s because I really like the pre series II Kimbers for the $600- $800 range vs $1K+ for a new one.

At most I have had to put in new springs and maybe swap the grips out due to personal preference, just do your homework concerning pricing, models, known issues and what to look for to determine honest wear vs abuse.

Lots of good deals out there in the used market.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I usually purchase used handguns over new ones, except the G19 FDE that followed me home yesterday from Shooter521 @ Bradis....

Anyhow, I prefer used 1911s because I really like the pre series II Kimbers for the $600- $800 range vs $1K+ for a new one.

At most I have had to put in new springs and maybe swap the grips out due to personal preference, just do your homework concerning pricing, models, known issues and what to look for to determine honest wear vs abuse.

Which a lot of people do even with a brand new one after 500 rounds or so.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Good info in links above. Would check to make sure it hasn't been attacked with a Dremel first and foremost!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Ditto on what Lock n Load said.. IMHO the series I Kimbers are hard to beat for money invested.. Just be sure that it has an internal extractor. They dabbled in external extractors for a short time and it was generally considered a failed experiment.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

FDE G19, :drool: And back to the subject at hand I like used Springfields and Colt's. :yesway:

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Taurus had some production issues when they first jumped into the 1911 market but, from what I hear these days, quality is a lot better. It might be worth checking out. You could probably get a very nice model used for cheap.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Springfield Armory used guns are a great buy! Their customer service will bend over backwards to fix any problem you might encounter whether your the 1st of 10th owner.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Springfield Armory 1911's are pretty solid & have excellent customer service even if you arent the original owner & you talk with a real person if you have any issues or questions

Top Bottom