Uruguay legalizes weed. UN unhappy. Doritos stock skyrockets. (2/3 are true)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Now I understand.

Leagalizing drugs eliminates drug problems.

That was easier than I thought.

Don't know why I didn't think of that.

Nope, it just creates new problems. The question is largely one of the lesser of two evils. More drug use, more addition, more impaired people on the roads, etc. = bad. A violent and lucrative black market controlled by organized crime = bad.

Drug laws, like alcohol laws, went into place because people saw the destructive results of addiction. Organized crime rose up to fill the need that "legitimate" businesses no longer could. Unintended consequences and all that.

Which is why I think its a worthwhile experiment, to see what the results are. In no way will the legalization or criminalization of any drug create a utopia, however which results in the greatest good for the greatest number of people? Its worth it to see, have the informed debate, and then make a decision as a society.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Nope, it just creates new problems. The question is largely one of the lesser of two evils. More drug use, more addition, more impaired people on the roads, etc. = bad. A violent and lucrative black market controlled by organized crime = bad.

Drug laws, like alcohol laws, went into place because people saw the destructive results of addiction. Organized crime rose up to fill the need that "legitimate" businesses no longer could. Unintended consequences and all that.

Which is why I think its a worthwhile experiment, to see what the results are. In no way will the legalization or criminalization of any drug create a utopia, however which results in the greatest good for the greatest number of people? Its worth it to see, have the informed debate, and then make a decision as a society.

You really think there are that many more people that would abuse marijauna if it were legalized? it is illegal now and I don't smoke it and would not smoke it if it were legal. I know a few people that might smoke it if it were legal but then they would have to find new jobs so they probably wouldnt smoke it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You really think there are that many more people that would abuse marijauna if it were legalized?

Maybe not immediately, but with legalization comes more social acceptance, and more social acceptance leads to more use. Even if there's not a single new user, easier access, lower prices, and the lack of any requirement to be covert would mean those who do use would likely be able to use more often.

I know when I was a teen the illegality kept me from smoking weed. Not because it was illegal (I was drinking alcohol before I could get a driver's license), but because the illegality made it harder to get, made getting it involve dealing with people I didn't ordinarily associate with, and because even as an idiot teen I knew that if I bought a case of Budweiser I knew what I was getting but if I bought a zip lock baggie from some random jackwagon I was really just taking him at his word. I also knew I wasn't going to get robbed buying beer. The biggest risk I faced was a new clerk who might want to card me instead of just taking my money.

I'm unlikely to start smoking tomorrow if it were legalized but I'm also older and more set in my habits, I have a job that wouldn't allow it, etc. Me 20+ years ago may have made different decisions, though.

Top Bottom