Upgraded sights (ladder vs tang) on lever action?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been on the fence about something for a while now and I've decided to get back into the 45-70 game with a Henry. I debated wildly between the all weather picatinny vs the case hardened model finally deciding to go with the case hardened model. It's not my first 45-70 as I've owned a Marlin Guide, Marlin 1895, and a H&R Buffalo Classic. My intent with the rifle will be to take it wild hunting in Nov, but also as a range plinker where I can play with it at distance for nothing more than the joy of watching a big glob of lead whack steel. Having said that, I can't leave anything alone so I was debating between a tang mounted sight like a lyman, or a ladder front sight like the skinner. Between the two, I've only ever used a ladder sight that I put on a '92 in 44mag that I regret selling years ago.

Anyone here with experience and a preference between a rear tang sight vs a ladder sight on a lever action? The sight upgrade will be for plinking at the range, the hunting will be at 70 yards on in so it doesn't really apply for that distance.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Tangs will actually help you see everything better, sights and target. It has something to do with looking through the small hole which someone better versed in optics and eyes can explain better. I do know that this effect falls off as the light dims.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm not entirely sure I'd want a tang sight that close to my eye with full power .45-70 loads but they would tend to be more accurate and easier to shoot well at extended ranges in my limited experience. In addition to the optical benefits Leadeye mentioned, the longer sight radius would also help with accuracy. An adjustable rear peep sight would be another option that would still likely be better than a ladder sight.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Honestly, the vernier sights were on my list to look at too because they look like they would be more repeatable in terms of their adjustment from one distance to another.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Honestly, the vernier sights were on my list to look at too because they look like they would be more repeatable in terms of their adjustment from one distance to another.
    Spend some time looking, you can spend as much or more on new front and rear vernier sights.
    Some of the BPCR sites will have whats out there for your rifle.

This is what I have a few sets of.

They also have quite a few sights that are much more reasonably priced, when I bought mine that didn't have near that many options.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I really like it. I pair it with a blade front sight and have the same set up on my Winchester 92 in .44 magnum and my Henry .22.
    I would recommend filing down the front blade for dead on at 70 yards with the lowest step on the rear sight. Then you can step up the rear sight for farther distances.
    The "blade in the center of the circle" sight picture is fast and accurate. The sight is low to the bore and as rugged as the standard sight. It is also relatively inexpensive. :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I really like it. I pair it with a blade front sight and have the same set up on my Winchester 92 in .44 magnum and my Henry .22.
    I would recommend filing down the front blade for dead on at 70 yards with the lowest step on the rear sight. Then you can step up the rear sight for farther distances.
    The "blade in the center of the circle" sight picture is fast and accurate. The sight is low to the bore and as rugged as the standard sight. It is also relatively inexpensive. :)
    I have a 92 clone in 44mag and now you've got me thinking....

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    Skinner sights. They are used on some factory options. Had I not scoped my 30-30, I would have gone with a skinner option.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I have a Skinner sight on a lever gun and I can vouch for it being pretty fast to acquire sight picture. I prefer it to traditional sights and it's much faster than my Soule.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have a Skinner sight on a lever gun and I can vouch for it being pretty fast to acquire sight picture. I prefer it to traditional sights and it's much faster than my Soule.
    The Skinner is a great sight that was designed for 100 yd or less shooting.
    The Soule with a Hadley was designed for 12 times that under many conditions.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    My Soule has an aperture about the same size as the skinner I think, but maybe it's the distance from the eye that makes it seem faster to acquire. And yes, they were clearly designed for much different purposes. I would think for hogs the Skinner with a brass or hi viz front bead would be great.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My Soule has an aperture about the same size as the skinner I think, but maybe it's the distance from the eye that makes it seem faster to acquire. And yes, they were clearly designed for much different purposes. I would think for hogs the Skinner with a brass or hi viz front bead would be great.
    If you can justify one the Hadley from MVA has an adjustable aperture.
    I use the "Magnums" :dunno:

Top Bottom