Fort Wayne
    Garandflyer.jpg

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I just got my first CMP Garand, and this sounds like it would be an awesome event.

However, I don't know if I'll have an opportunity to zero it between now and then.

Is there any way I could purchase any extra ammo, and get some range time beforehand in order to zero the rifle? If that would be considered an unfair advantage, I would even be wiling to let a disinterested experienced shooter independently confirm that the rifle's sights are zeroed. The five "sighting shots" just may not be enough, depending on how the sights were toyed with over the last 56 years.

excursion12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Fig

I would contact Tim listed on the flyer. I don't think they will allow anyone on the range the day of the event before hand. I would ask the scorer to line up behind you and watch your trace to get you on paper.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Fig, you won't be the only one there with an unzeroed riifle, trust me on this. 5 sighters will be enough, especially if you ask for help.

It just is not possible for the range to go Hot for a pre-match zeroing period with all the people moving up and down range setting flags, water, and comms. Of course people walking to the pits too.

Come up 12 clicks from the bottom on the rear sight and set it in the center for wind. Correct off each well aimed sighter and you are ready to go.

Hope to see you there....

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What an incredible day. Perfect weather and we ended up with 5 relays in the Garand Match and 3 relays in the Springfield/Vintage Rifle match.

57 competitors in the Garand Match and I believe 28 for the S/V rifle match.

The Ft Wayne Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol provided target pullers and earned $600 for Cadet programs for their efforts.

The M1 for Vets organization was well represented and a check for $600 will be forwarded to this group.

I think the competitor that drove the farthest came from just north of Louisville KY, but we had shooters from Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana.

2800+ rounds of LC Mil-Surp 30.06 went down range today. Refreshments and awards followed the Matches.

If you didn't make it, you missed a great High Power day.

BTW, congrats to Excursion12 for winning the Garand Match...

Dtwentythree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Scottsburg
    The match was a blast. My friends and I had a great time. And yup, that was me that drove up from Underwood, IN (230 miles). It was well worth it. Already looking forward to next time.
    Thanks to the organizers for putting on a great match.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Dang it I wanted to go but there were just to many other things going over the weekend! When is the next one? I have some M1s and 03s I'd like to shoot. I've never shot most of them and not sure about shooting in a match with em. Ever just have "Some guys shooting Garands" events?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    when is the next garand match

That about does it for us for this year. I think there will be one at Camp Atterbury hosted by the Central Indiana Highpower Shooters club in October. There might also be one at Wildcat Valley. Check their websites...

I am glad you had a good time dtwentythree. I'm glad you made it home safe.

Even though dedicated Garand matches may be done, don't forget you can always shoot the Garand as a "Service rifle" in NRA Highpower matches anywhere.

We will have at least one Garand match next year plus our High Power Clinic in April. Check our website for the schedule at Fort Wayne Rifle & Revolver Gun Club... Home

For safety reasons, we only hold NRA or CMP sanctioned matches at our club. Plus the scores mean something and you get a target puller when you are shooting for instant shot placement feedback.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom