• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I watched a show about USCG Snipers last week. It was pretty cool. Those guys/gals have to be pretty good to hit their targets from a moving helicopter! I know a Chief down in Galveston, pretty good guy.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I watched a show about USCG Snipers last week. It was pretty cool. Those guys/gals have to be pretty good to hit their targets from a moving helicopter! I know a Chief down in Galveston, pretty good guy.

Modern Sniper on the Military channel. The Hitron snipers are top notch. It's one thing to shoot a stationary target, when you are stationary. To a shoot a moving target, when you are moving. Not to mention rotor wash, swells, etc. In fact I went to boot camp with one of the snipers from that show, and we where stationed together. Until he left for AMT A school.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Thank you for your fine post on the USCG. My son is presently serving and to those that mistakenly believe that they are law enforcment only during peacetime must not be aware that they protect the Navy's ships while they are in port. My son is doing exactly that in Singapore right now. He and the other crew members are not enforcing any laws in Singapore, just providing protection for the Navy. My son has been in seven years and will very probably retire from the Coast Guard.

Terry

Respect to your son! :patriot:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    So do you have friends or family members that served in the Coast Guard? I'm guessing not, because we did not quit until the mission was done. If that meant doing search and rescue, law enforcement, or port security. For example we stayed on scene during search and rescue, until command told us to end the search etc. If we where doing law enforcement. It may just be doing random boardings. It may be looking for a suspect vessel. Again until our command told us to quit we where out there. I was attached to a small boat station. When we where on duty, we stayed there until we got liberty. That meant no going home. We just did not put in 8 hours and go home. Now if you where attached to a cutter, and in port. Unless you had watch then yes you did your work day and went home. It's totally different when you are underway. Not to mention the Coast Guard is so small, you do the job of 2-3 people. There is no spare man power. You loose one person, and it's a big deal. So do a little research before you try and rebuttal. That's all I'm going to say.

You read incorrectly. The CG is with the military in that respect. Quitting is not an option for any uniformed service. Certainly not the same for an LEO...they go home every night.

Good friend of mine just got his full Lieutenant in the USCG. So yes, I do have friends in the Coast Guard.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You read incorrectly. The CG is with the military in that respect. Quitting is not an option for any uniformed service. Certainly not the same for an LEO...they go home every night.

Good friend of mine just got his full Lieutenant in the USCG. So yes, I do have friends in the Coast Guard.

"As is grouping anyone in a uniformed service (CG included) along with the law enforcement officers who can quit and go home anytime they want. Those of us in uniform never had that option."

I got ya, that statement was misinterpreted a bit on my part. My apology.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The Army thinks they're the best, the Marines so, and so forth.

No we don't, we know so:

Two hundred and thirty-five years ago, the United States Army was established to defend our Nation. From the Revolutionary War to the current operations taking place around the world, our Soldiers remain Army Strong with a deep commitment to our core values and beliefs.

george-washington-valley-forge.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My Mother bought a rather large book on Coast Guard history. I need to get into it more. From what I have read so far, they have played a huge roll in every major conflict. From the Revolutionary war, to the current conflict. As has every other branch! Minus the Air Force, only because it started as the Army Air Corp! So I salute you all for what you do :patriot:.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    300px-USCGC_Mellon_WHEC-717_2001.jpg

USCGC Mellon

My son is stationed aboard this cutter which is presently in the vicinity of Singapore. The photo was taken while she was in the Bering Sea.

Semper Paratus

Terry, USCG proud father

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    300px-USCGC_Mellon_WHEC-717_2001.jpg

USCGC Mellon

My son is stationed aboard this cutter which is presently in the vicinity of Singapore. The photo was taken while she was in the Bering Sea.

Semper Paratus

Terry, USCG proud father

Salute to your son :patriot: I wish every day I was back in. Unfortunaly life has taken me in other directions.

Semper Paratus
    Honor, Respect, Devotion to Duty!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I guess I agree with you that the Coast Guard doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Calling it a "branch" is a stretch.

As is grouping anyone in a uniformed service (CG included) along with the law enforcement officers who can quit and go home anytime they want. Those of us in uniform never had that option.

Perhaps I'm uninformed on this, but it seems to me that they get out and risk their lives just as does anyone in an armed service, however, you spoke of "uniformed services".

I would agree, based on what limited knowledge I have of it, that classifying members of NOAA in with those who risk their lives for the protection of our citizens and country, at home or abroad, is a "stretch". I heard that fact several years ago and apparently it's still true: They're classified by that title: Uniformed Service. Really? A bloody weatherman is to be put on a par with soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, and Coasties, above those who face (or could face) murderers, rapists, thieves, and child molesters every day? (I have less of an issue with members of the US Public Health Service, but I'll admit to some bias there.)

While it is true that LEOs can "quit and go home whenever they want", most of the ones with whom I'm acquainted are former military and have given their service with honor and continue to do so as civilians and no more consider that a viable option than they do chewing off their right arms.

As U.S. Patriot said, you have a right to your opinion. I think your priorities are horribly screwed up as evidenced by those opinions, but you have a right to them. I disagree with you.

Blessings,
    Bill

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Casualties: U.S. Navy and Coast Guard Vessels, Sunk or Damaged Beyond Repair during World War II, 7 December 1941-1 October 1945

Gunboat Type Cutter
    (WPG)

USCGC Alexander Hamilton (WPG-34) capsized in tow after being torpedoed by German submarine U-132 off Iceland, 29 January 1942.

USCGC Escanba (WPG-77) sunk by undetermined explosion off Ivigtut, Greenland,
    13 June 1943.

Patrol Boat (WPC)

USCGC Bedloe (WPC-128) foundered during a hurricane off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, 14 September 1944.

USCGC Jackson (WPC-142) foundered during a hurricane off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, 14 September 1944.

Patrol Boat, 83 Foot Type (Numbers 83300 - 83529)

USCGC 83415 foundered off Normandy, France, 21 June 1944.

USCGC 83421 sunk in collision off Florida, 30 June 1943.

USCGC 83471 foundered off Normandy, France, 21 June 1944.

Patrol Craft, Converted

USCGC 58012 sunk by explosion off Manomet Point, Massachusetts, 2 May 1943.

USCGC 85006 (ex-Catamount # 229192) sunk after explosion during patrol off Ambrose Light, New York, 27 March 1943.

Patrol Boat, Converted (WYP)

USCGC Bodega (WYP-342) lost by grounding during salvage operations off the Panama Canal, Panama, 20 December 1943.

USCGC Dow (WYP-353) lost by grounding during a gale off Mayaguez, Puerto Rico,
    14 October 1943.

USCGC Natsek (WYP-170) foundered in the Strait of Belle Isle, Newfoundland, Canada, 17 December 1942.

USCGC Wilcox (WYP-333) foundered in heavy seas off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, 30 September 1943.

Lighthouse Tender (WAGL)

USCGC Acacia (WAGL-200) sunk by gunfire from the German submarine U-161 south of Haiti, 15 March 1942.

USCGC Magnolia (WAGL-231) sunk in collision with the S.S. Maguerite LeHand off Mobile, Alabama, 24 August 1945.

Lightship, 123 Foot (LS)

USCGC Vineyard Sound Lightship (LS-73) sunk by a hurricane in Vineland Sound, Massachusetts, 14 September 1944.

*Note, some of these, like the last entry, the USCGC Vineyard Sound Lightship, were not sunk during any kind of combat mission. They were, however "on duty" and doing their jobs to keep everyone else safe and en-route.

Top Bottom