• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm in no way trying to start a flame war, or say one branch is better then another. I truly believe every branch has a job, and they all need each other! I do think that the Coast Guard is the behind the scenes hero's. You never read or see much about them. Yet they have been in every conflict since the Revolutionary War to Operation Enduring freedom. They are the smallest branch, yet they are tasked with many missions. I'm a proud U.S.C.G Veteran, and would do anything to be back in. So to my fellow Coasties out there.

"Semper Paratus"
    Fair Winds and Following seas!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ac5Oz1Ui1Y&feature=related]YouTube - When Im gone USCG style[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXxUp3Zb9R0&feature=related]YouTube - Awesome USCG Vid[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLEjF-s9ns&feature=related]YouTube - USCG tribute[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugCE-spXFPU&feature=related]YouTube - U.S. coast guard tribute[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBoR61-3p_k&feature=related]YouTube - Who We Are - U.S. Coast Guard[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4NdLSQpScg&feature=related]YouTube - No More Than Today - Creed of the U.S. Coast Guardsman[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PmBZqfEZdM&feature=related]YouTube - US Coast Guard - Commercials Amazing !![/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwacbHEN7Wk&feature=related]YouTube - USCG Special Mission Training Center[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzBFILEZro0&feature=related]YouTube - USCG LE[/ame]

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    The Coast Guard is not a military branch in my opinion. They share a lot of military characteristics, but they are better understood as a uniformed law enforcement agency than a military force.

They occasionally do perform DOD missions and those deserve recognition. I don't, however, think it's fair to group them with our warriors in the four branches that exclusively perform DOD missions.

I'm not sure it'll be such a popular thing for me to say on this forum, but that's how I feel about the CG. I do have friends who serve currently and friends who are retired from the USCG, however.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The Coast Guard is not a military branch in my opinion. They share a lot of military characteristics, but they are better understood as a uniformed law enforcement agency than a military force.

They occasionally do perform DOD missions and those deserve recognition. I don't, however, think it's fair to group them with our warriors in the four branches that exclusively perform DOD missions.

I'm not sure it'll be such a popular thing for me to say on this forum, but that's how I feel about the CG. I do have friends who serve currently and friends who are retired from the USCG, however.

What branch did you serve in, that caused you to form this opinion?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I don't see how or why it's relevant, but I served in the Army.

Interesting. They didn't teach me to spit on fellow servicemembers in the Army or the Air Force. Of course, they didn't need to. It's a classless and honorless act.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Interesting. They didn't teach me to spit on fellow servicemembers in the Army or the Air Force. Of course, they didn't need to. It's a classless and honorless act.

That's funny that you say that.

I still remember the first day of basic training when my drill sergeant asked if anyone was "prior service."

Two men raised their hands. The next question, of course, was, "What branch?"

They both responded, "Air Force, Drill sergeant!"

His response? "I said SERVICE!!" followed by an expletive.

Still sticks with me to this day.:laugh:

Funny thing is that one other guy was prior Army, but he didn't even mention it. He'd be out long enough that they made him repeat basic training.

Guess you served in a different Army than I did.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Patriot, thanks for your service! I tip my hat to anyone who signs their name on the dotted line and serves in any capacity.

I recall a story of a young paratrooper that was talking to an old timer and bragging on all his jumps. The old guy said, "Wow, I only had three jumps... in WWII."

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Anyone who dedicates part of their life to public service deserves respect...To me it doesn't matter whether it was Army, Navy, Air force, Marines, Coast Guard, Merchant Marines, Guard/Reserves, law enforcement, fire service, health care, etc. They all see their fair share of human tragedy. Anyone who chooses to face the more difficult aspects of life as part of their career has my support. :yesway: :yesway:

:patriot:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I need to watch these videos when I get home!

A college buddy of mine enlisted in the USCG before graduating.

He's now a Nav on C-130 planes. He was stationed in the Tampa, FL area for several years... And has been relocated to Kodiak, AK for about a year and a half now. Talk about a switch in climate!

Seems to me like he might very well make a career out of it. I think he's quickly approaching 10 years...prob 8 by now.

-J-

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I think there is competition between branches no matter which branch you serve in. The Army thinks they're the best, the Marines so, and so forth. It's just like consumers saying AT&T is better than Comcast, or Verizon, or Brighthouse, or whoever...

They all serve a purpose, sometimes different, sometimes the same as the other.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Patriot, thanks for your service! I tip my hat to anyone who signs their name on the dotted line and serves in any capacity.

I recall a story of a young paratrooper that was talking to an old timer and bragging on all his jumps. The old guy said, "Wow, I only had three jumps... in WWII."

Thanks man I appreciate it!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    During times of peace the USCG is considered a Police Agency but in times of war it's considered a military force. There were Coast Guard vessels at Normandy and many other battles in WWII and since. I've known a few Coasties and they were cool people to hang out with. I'm Navy vet and spent some time on the flight deck of the USS Constellation. I Thank anyone who has served in any of the branches.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

You have the right to your opinion. In my opnion though, you are making a blind observation. That is a typical response. I however am not going to make a huge post trying to rebutle. What the Coast Guard does, does not need my justification. I have respect for all the branches. No matter what their job, I do not think one is better then another. Yes I will joke with my Veteran buddies, but it's all in fun. I just think the Coast Guard is not potrayed enough, or a lot of times given the respect they deserve. I'll end it on that note. For everyone else, thanks for the positive remarks! :patriot:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I served in the Air Force but if I were a young man today I'd go Coast Guard without a doubt.

I love to go to the Coast Guard festival in Grand Haven every summer! :)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I served in the Air Force but if I were a young man today I'd go Coast Guard without a doubt.

I love to go to the Coast Guard festival in Grand Haven every summer! :)

Air Force?! So, your ASVAB score musta' been a lot gooder than mines. :D

Thanks for your service CM! :patriot:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    You have the right to your opinion. In my opnion though, you are making a blind observation. That is a typical response. I however am not going to make a huge post trying to rebutle. What the Coast Guard does, does not need my justification. I have respect for all the branches. No matter what their job, I do not think one is better then another. Yes I will joke with my Veteran buddies, but it's all in fun. I just think the Coast Guard is not potrayed enough, or a lot of times given the respect they deserve. I'll end it on that note. For everyone else, thanks for the positive remarks! :patriot:

I guess I agree with you that the Coast Guard doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Calling it a "branch" is a stretch.

As is grouping anyone in a uniformed service (CG included) along with the law enforcement officers who can quit and go home anytime they want. Those of us in uniform never had that option.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I have friends from every branch and they will rough up one another all the time about the different branches all day, but at the end of that day when duty calls the come runnin as one and I tip my hats to all of them no matter what branch. :patriot:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Excellent original post

Thank you for your fine post on the USCG. My son is presently serving and to those that mistakenly believe that they are law enforcment only during peacetime must not be aware that they protect the Navy's ships while they are in port. My son is doing exactly that in Singapore right now. He and the other crew members are not enforcing any laws in Singapore, just providing protection for the Navy. My son has been in seven years and will very probably retire from the Coast Guard.

Terry

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I guess I agree with you that the Coast Guard doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Calling it a "branch" is a stretch.

As is grouping anyone in a uniformed service (CG included) along with the law enforcement officers who can quit and go home anytime they want. Those of us in uniform never had that option.

So do you have friends or family members that served in the Coast Guard? I'm guessing not, because we did not quit until the mission was done. If that meant doing search and rescue, law enforcement, or port security. For example we stayed on scene during search and rescue, until command told us to end the search etc. If we where doing law enforcement. It may just be doing random boardings. It may be looking for a suspect vessel. Again until our command told us to quit we where out there. I was attached to a small boat station. When we where on duty, we stayed there until we got liberty. That meant no going home. We just did not put in 8 hours and go home. Now if you where attached to a cutter, and in port. Unless you had watch then yes you did your work day and went home. It's totally different when you are underway. Not to mention the Coast Guard is so small, you do the job of 2-3 people. There is no spare man power. You loose one person, and it's a big deal. So do a little research before you try and rebuttal. That's all I'm going to say.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have friends from every branch and they will rough up one another all the time about the different branches all day, but at the end of that day when duty calls the come running as one and I tip my hats to all of them no matter what branch. :patriot:
    I know what you mean. My best friend is a Marine Veteran. I have another good friend that is active duty Marine. Another good friend that is a Marine Veteran. Another who served in the Marines, but now is in the Navy. We blow each other **** all in fun. We do though respect each others service, because you are right. When duty calls they all do their jobs. No matter what that job may be.

Top Bottom